Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

social security number

social security number

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

jorgebuky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default social security number

im about to get a social security number in America permit. they told me that i need the the work permit they emailed me, an identification and a birth certificate. The problem is that i can not find my original birth certificate from Mexico but i have a copy of the certificate. Do someone know if i can use the copy of the certificate?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social security number

Originally Posted by jorgebuky
im about to get a social security number in America permit. they told me that i need the the work permit they emailed me, an identification and a birth certificate. The problem is that i can not find my original birth certificate from Mexico but i have a copy of the certificate. Do someone know if i can use the copy of the certificate?
To my knowledge, you will need to show original documents at the social security office when you go in person to apply.

You will need proof of your status in the USA and your original work authorization. I am not sure if you really need your birth certificate. My alien husband did not need his. He was OK with his passport, visa, and work authorization.

Rene
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
To my knowledge, you will need to show original documents at the social security office when you go in person to apply.

You will need proof of your status in the USA and your original work authorization. I am not sure if you really need your birth certificate. My alien husband did not need his. He was OK with his passport, visa, and work authorization.

Rene
None of us needed to show our birth certificates to get SSNs.

However, I would still advise the OP to get another certified copy as he is bound to need it at some point in the future.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

do you guys know any number that i could call because i can not find any number... i'd really appreaciate it.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:39 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110
RM 00203.110 Evidence of Age for an SSN Card

H. Procedure – Foreign-Born Applicant Applies for an Original SSN Card or to Change the DOB on the Numident Record

1.If a foreign-born person has the foreign BC in his/her possession or can readily obtain (i.e, within 10 business days) a properly certified copy, ask him/her to submit it.

2. Ask for alternative evidence of age in order of probative value from the groups of documents in RM 00203.110D.

D. Kinds of Documents Establishing Age

3. Level Three - Other Alternative Evidence of Age

-- Foreign passport

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301015
GN 00301.015 Acceptance of Evidence

A. POLICY
1. Acceptable Evidence

Any document submitted by the claimant as proof of an entitlement factor must be:

-- an original document (see GN 00301.030A.1.); or
-- a copy of the original record certified to be accurate by the custodian of the record system (see GN 00301.030A.3.); or
-- an extract of the original document certified to be accurate by the custodian of the record system

Last edited by mdyoung; Oct 2nd 2007 at 10:45 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

do you guys know any number that i could call because i can not find any number... i'd really appreaciate it.
I don't have a phone number, but here is the SSA website:

http://www.ssa.gov/
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:48 pm

Call who and for what? SSA's 800# is 800-772-1213, but I just gave you the answer about the BC.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

i did not quite get when its saying if i could bring a copy of my BC.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:47 pm

i did not quite get when its saying if i could bring a copy of my BC.
It's saying that the reason they would need your birth certificate is to prove your age. If you don't have a birth certificate, they will accept a passport as your proof of age.

It's basically saying they don't need your birth certificate. Bring a photocopy anyway, just in case, but chances are you won't need to show it.

Rene
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

yeah, i know they need to verify my age but i did not quite get if they needed the original bc or just a copy. I will just go to another office because the lady who asked me for the bc was kinda noob.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:41 am

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. LOL
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i know they need to verify my age but i did not quite get if they needed the original bc or just a copy. I will just go to another office because the lady who asked me for the bc was kinda noob.
Take. Your. Passport.
Do. Not. Take. Birth. Certificate.

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Take. Your. Passport.
Do. Not. Take. Birth. Certificate.

Do not take photocopy of BC.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. LOL

Karma for ya Mike
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You will never ever have an original. You will only have a certified and/or registered copy of the BC or any document provided by a government agency, i.e. marriage certificate, birth certificate. The original stays with the government and they in turn will give you a certified copy which has the filing marks, etc. on it.

In this case you are talking about a xerox copy ... that won't do it. You need the original copy from the government agency or as MDYoung and Meauxna and Rene said, bring your passport. The original one in your possession that you used to enter the country and your driver's license which is also photo ID and has your birth date on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.