Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Elizabeth2566 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Social Security Number

I am hopefully shortly going to be working for my company in our office in Naperville I have posted before reference this but my question now is will I automatically be allocated a social security number when I begin work or do I need to get one myself my first thought is that when I begin work and my company sort out wages etc it will be done then any advice would be appreciated

Elizabeth 2566
Old Sep 15th 2005, 4:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number

Originally Posted by Elizabeth2566
I am hopefully shortly going to be working for my company in our office in Naperville I have posted before reference this but my question now is will I automatically be allocated a social security number when I begin work or do I need to get one myself my first thought is that when I begin work and my company sort out wages etc it will be done then any advice would be appreciated

Elizabeth 2566
Hi Elizabeth,

Are you currently working? Without a SSN? Anyway...the company will not automatically get you a SSN, no. You must go into a SS office and apply in person, and have valid work authorization from USCIS in hand to show them.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:49 am
Ingo Pakleppa

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Elizabeth2566 wrote:

>
    > I am hopefully shortly going to be working for my company in our office
    > in Naperville I have posted before reference this but my question now is
    > will I automatically be allocated a social security number when I begin
    > work or do I need to get one myself my first thought is that when I
    > begin work and my company sort out wages etc it will be done then any
    > advice would be appreciated

As Noorah said, you have to apply yourself in person. There should be a
Social Security office nearby.

The company actually is allowed to hire you for up to 90 days (I believe)
without an SSN as long as you state that you applied for it. And getting
the SSN will indeed take some time.

- --
Please visit my FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com before asking a question here.
It may answer your question. Remember, I am strictly a layperson without
any legal training. I encourage the reader to seek competent legal counsel
rather than relying on usenet newsgroups.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFDKk7ayUlVTFdHXskRApHeAJ9lOAmAjQrMopfmfsBXha je7kAPQACdHzwu
x29WhOSCAziDnCSRvp7UFgg=
=Yl5d
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Elizabeth2566 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not currently working in the states I work for our office in England but will be starting work for our office in the states, so when I arrive in the states I am best trying to find a local office to get a social security number will I need to take all my relevent documents from the USCIS when I go even if they maybe irrelevent and how long does it take to get a social security number ?

Many thanks so far

Elizabeth2566

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Elizabeth,

Are you currently working? Without a SSN? Anyway...the company will not automatically get you a SSN, no. You must go into a SS office and apply in person, and have valid work authorization from USCIS in hand to show them.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:53 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth2566
I am not currently working in the states I work for our office in England but will be starting work for our office in the states, so when I arrive in the states I am best trying to find a local office to get a social security number will I need to take all my relevent documents from the USCIS when I go even if they maybe irrelevent and how long does it take to get a social security number ?

Many thanks so far

Elizabeth2566
Elizabeth2566

Here is a link to help you find your local SS office:

http://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

When I had to replace my card after it was stolen, they had my immigration status available on the SS computer when I went to their office, but I certainly wouldn't bet on that if you are not already in their system. It would be prudent to take along any and all official communications you have received from USCIS.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And here's the form you need

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:26 pm
Instant Arcade

Ingo Pakleppa (see Web site for email) wrote:
    > The company actually is allowed to hire you for up to 90 days (I believe)
    > without an SSN as long as you state that you applied for it. And getting
    > the SSN will indeed take some time.

That's exactly what happened to me. Took a couple of months to get it.

Keep in mind that some banks will not let you open an account without
one. I had lots and lots of problems with my local Wells Fargo. After
many arguments with the manager they begrudgingly let me open an
account, but wouldn't give me my own check book or ATM card until I got
my SSN (every time I needed to write a check, I had to go into the bank
and get the teller to check my balance and write the check). I
eventually got frustrated and went to the Bank of America across the
road and they had no problems giving me everything I needed.

Bob.

--

www.InstantArcade.com
Home of WinROMIdent

Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Elizabeth2566

Here is a link to help you find your local SS office:

http://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

When I had to replace my card after it was stolen, they had my immigration status available on the SS computer when I went to their office, but I certainly wouldn't bet on that if you are not already in their system. It would be prudent to take along any and all official communications you have received from USCIS.
I'll tack on the suggestion that the OP wait about 2 weeks from entry to make sure her details have been updated in the SAVE system first. If she gets to SSA and is told they can not yet verify her, ask to keep the application (actually SSA is supposed to hold it for her, but often don't) and she can come back in a few days to re-check.

The goal would be to avoid the dreaded 'manual verification' of status, which can really drag out.