Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security No.

Social Security No.

Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mariaslk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security No.

Can I get a social security no by just being married to USC? Or do I have to have my Green Card first? We want to get my medical insurance sorted out and credit cards, drivers licence etc.
Just thinking ahead!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security No.

Originally Posted by Mariaslk
Can I get a social security no by just being married to USC? Or do I have to have my Green Card first? We want to get my medical insurance sorted out and credit cards, drivers licence etc.
Just thinking ahead!
You can get your SSN once you've got your EAD and AOS application notice.

You don't actually need a SSN for all the rest (though you may have a job convincing the jobsworths of this...)
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking ahead!
You have to have a basis for getting the SSN. Simply being married to a USC won't do it, no. You don't have to wait until you have your green card, but you will need something acceptable to SSA as a basis for getting the SSN.

I don't recall your specific scenario, but for example:

1. If you enter the USA on an Immigrant Visa (spouse of a USC), you get the SSN almost automatically (there is a part of the visa application where you can ask for a SSN to be assigned to you), and you'll receive the card within a few weeks of arrival in the USA.

2. If you enter on a K-1 fiance visa, you are entitled to a SSN right away. Wait about 10 days after arrival, then you can apply for the SSN.

3. If you enter on a K-3 spouse visa, you must first apply for your EAD and have that in hand in order to be able to get your SSN.

4. If you are here on some other status, marry a USC, and file for AOS, you need to have the EAD in hand before applying for the SSN.

That said, there are things you can do without your SSN. Your husband can add you to his health insurance without your SSN, then give them the number when you get it. He can add you to his credit cards without your SSN. He can add you to his bank account (and you can open your own), he can add you to utility bills, etc. without your SSN.

The one thing you will NEED your SSN for, is the drivers license. I believe most, if not all states, now require a SSN in order to apply for the drivers license.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mariaslk is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for my ignorance what's EAD? I figured out AOS but I wont be applying for this since I am residing in the UK until my petition is finalised. By the way I will be using the VWP until my I-130 is processed. We will be submitting this in a few weeks.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for my ignorance what's EAD? I figured out AOS but I wont be applying for this since I am residing in the UK until my petition is finalised. By the way I will be using the VWP until my I-130 is processed. We will be submitting this in a few weeks.
OK, if you are following the I-130 route to an Immigrant Visa, you won't have an EAD anyway. EAD stands for Employment Authorization Document.

For your case, you will become a US Permanent Resident upon entry to the USA using the Immigrant Visa, and you should receive your Social Security card and Green Card within a few weeks of your arrival, automatically.

When you get to the stage of filling out your visa applications, one of the forms will ask if you want a SSN assigned to you, check "yes" to that box.

In the meantime, he can still add you to those things without your SSN. The only thing you can't get is the drivers license.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.....he can still add you to those things without your SSN. The only thing you can't get is the drivers license.

Rene
Why do you think he cannot get a driver's licence

AFAIK, all that is needed to get a DL is proof of legal status and proof that the SSN has been applied for (or a letter stating that the applicant is not eligible for a SSN - although this would not apply to the OP).
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

AFAIK, all that is needed to get a DL is proof of legal status and proof that the SSN has been applied for (or a letter stating that the applicant is not eligible for a SSN - although this would not apply to the OP).
I mean she can't get a US drivers license UNTIL she enters using the Immigrant Visa. In the meantime, she can get added to the health insurance, banking, credit cards....but while she's here on the VWP in the meantime, she won't be able to get a drivers license.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the state. And also depends on SSA giving them a letter. Also depends on residency rules for the state.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:29 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
And also depends on SSA giving them a letter.
notice SSA-L676

People ask all the time how to get one and it normally involves getting a driver's license.

Click on your state or territory below to learn about getting or renewing your driver's license, registering your car, or accessing other motor vehicle services:

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Motor_Vehicles.shtml
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:32 am

You can get your SSN once you've got your EAD and AOS application notice.
I don't think so. SSA doesn't accept filing receipts or approval notices in place of the actual document.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:38 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I don't think so. SSA doesn't accept filing receipts or approval notices in place of the actual document.
That's not what I meant.

I meant EAD plus AOS notice of action...

Though the latter isn't stricly necessary........... we never got a NOA, but the EAD was enough to get our SSNs.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what I meant.

Though the latter isn't stricly necessary........... we never got a NOA, but the EAD was enough to get our SSNs.
I think what MDYoung was saying that simply showing the SSA a copy of your filing notice will not get you an SSN. You can get a SSN by showing your actual EAD, or actual PR card, but not with just the application.

if this is what you meant, sorry i double posted.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:47 am

That's not what I meant.

OK you meant EAD card along with AOS notice, but it's the EAD card that matters. SSA couldn't careless that you have applied for some type of immigration status.