Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Application Advice Needed

Social Security Application Advice Needed

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

SassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Application Advice Needed

I'm moving to the US from the UK through work with an L-1 visa. I have planned to fly out on April 10th and have two weeks of holiday time before i start work on April 25th. Work are paying for a hotel for these two weeks.
I plan on going straight to the social security office to apply the day after I land so hopefully if the 10 working days rule applies I should have it to start work.

My query is, for those that have done this, will I be able to apply the day after I land? Reading through old threads on the forum I keep seeing comments about having to wait 10 days after POE etc...is this still applicable?

Also I'm trying to sort out my accommodation, who will let me apply without an SSN but do need me to have an electricity company account, who in turn need an SSN. Is there a way to find out what your new SSN is before you receive the card, like online or do they give you something in the office straight away so you know it then just wait for the card in the post?

An immigration lawyer with work sorted my actual visa and I have my US embassy interview this week (24th) and need to get out to US as quickly as possible as my job requires it.
This is all so freaking stressful!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Application Advice Needed

I have heard recently of some folks going into the SS office the next day with no problems. The key factor is whether you are in the "SAVE" system which SS uses to verify your status in the USA. If they tell you they need to do a manual verification, don't submit your application, because that takes 8 weeks or so. Just keep the application and try again in a few days.

As for knowing the number, once you DO submit the application, you can go back in person the next day to get the number. The card arrives in the mail about 2 weeks later. You can try calling to get the number, but they aren't supposed to give it over the phone because they can't verify your identity. ..but have seen cases that do that (scary! )

Rene
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

SSN won't mean anything for utilities. It's so they can run a credit background check on you, which you won't have any of. Just use your passport number as a ID till you get your SSN and be prepared to put down anything from $50-600 as a deposit for each utility and a larger deposit for a rental.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

SassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou guys! I think I'll have to call the power company and explain my situation.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have an apartment already lined up to move into. Since you will be staying in a hotel for two weeks when will you be moving into your permanent accommodations? How did you dodge the credit check for the rental? Or has this been done by your place of business?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

I had a pre-cursory visit in January and viewed the place then, I just explained my situation coming from UK etc so no US credit to check. They were fine with that. I sent my passport scan and an offer letter from my new job for reference.
My security deposit was higher without the SSN.
They've sent me the details but they said they may not be processing the actual application until I can prove my visa status.

Hoping to pick up keys a couple of days before moving out of hotel.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

This was our experience in August 2015

We came out with another family. We waited 12 days, all straightforward and received our cards about 10 days later. The other family went on day 3. They were not in the system and it was more than 2 months later before they received their numbers. You do not have to wait to receive your number before starting work. My husband started the day after we arrived and didn't give payroll his SSN for about a month.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As for knowing the number, once you DO submit the application, you can go back in person the next day to get the number. The card arrives in the mail about 2 weeks later. You can try calling to get the number, but they aren't supposed to give it over the phone because they can't verify your identity. ..but have seen cases that do that (scary! )

Rene
This isn't allowed anymore. You don't get your number until the card arrives even if you go back in person.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by loubiblu
This was our experience in August 2015

We came out with another family. We waited 12 days, all straightforward and received our cards about 10 days later. The other family went on day 3. They were not in the system and it was more than 2 months later before they received their numbers. You do not have to wait to receive your number before starting work. My husband started the day after we arrived and didn't give payroll his SSN for about a month.

This isn't allowed anymore. You don't get your number until the card arrives even if you go back in person.
In my case I do need an SSN for my job, I'm a manager of a hair salon and I need it to apply for a cosmetology licence.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl
They've sent me the details but they said they may not be processing the actual application until I can prove my visa status.
That's not good news.

They haven't agreed to lease the place to you or signed a lease agreement.

You want that signed up as soon as you can in case they change their mind.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The key factor is whether you are in the "SAVE" system which SS uses to verify your status in the USA. If they tell you they need to do a manual verification, don't submit your application, because that takes 8 weeks or so.
Oh if only I'd known We weren't in the system, despite waiting the required days, and currently in week 5 of waiting for cards. We have been told over the phone that it may take upto 9 weeks!

The only utilities we couldn't sign up to straight away was Gas and that was only because they hadn't been informed that the property had been sold by the previous occupier.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=LonelyCloud;11904974]Oh if only I'd known We weren't in the system, despite waiting the required days, and currently in week 5 of waiting for cards. We have been told over the phone that it may take upto 9 weeks!

Omg that's insane...how can they do that but say it's only 10 working days on the website??
One of my colleagues moved to New York last November but I think her card only took 2 weeks.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=SassoonGirl;11904989]
Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
Oh if only I'd known We weren't in the system, despite waiting the required days, and currently in week 5 of waiting for cards. We have been told over the phone that it may take upto 9 weeks!

Omg that's insane...how can they do that but say it's only 10 working days on the website??
One of my colleagues moved to New York last November but I think her card only took 2 weeks.
Because if you are in the system, and I suspect more than 50% are, then it will take 10 working days. I suspect that the Windows xp operating system had a meltdown because it's a leap year...
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Here we go, A letter arrived this morning stating it should arrive in the next 2 weeks. So that's 5 weeks to process the application and another 2 for postage.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 10:18 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of moving over on an L1 was very smooth. I landed on the Saturday and called into our local Social Security office the following Wednesday after getting the keys to my apartment (no SSN required by this complex). Handed over my passport and printed I94 with the application form and had the card though in about a week.

Sounds like I was very lucky.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
My experience of moving over on an L1 was very smooth. I landed on the Saturday and called into our local Social Security office the following Wednesday after getting the keys to my apartment (no SSN required by this complex). Handed over my passport and printed I94 with the application form and had the card though in about a week.

Sounds like I was very lucky.
Brilliant! I hope my experience ends up being that easy 😀

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.