Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So who is musical, and what do you play?

So who is musical, and what do you play?

Old Sep 15th 2003, 5:42 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough
Default So who is musical, and what do you play?

Everybody knows we are a nation of frustrated musicians (and small shop keepers, if Napoleon was to be believed), so what instruments do you all play?

I had classical guitar and flute training when I was a youngster, and went on to develop an interest in early woodwinds and lute. When punk happened in the 70's there was a bit of a blur for a few years, followed by a period of inactivity. 6 or 7 years ago started playing whistles and the Irish flute, and now I play the flute almost exclusively. So what about you lot?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:31 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I play with either my Didjeridoo (I lived in Oz for a year)....or with my skin flute
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:57 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I played violin in the Jewish National Youth Orchestra when I was a kid and got up to Grade 8, but then I discovered Rock 'n' Roll. I'm predominantly a singer, but I also play guitar, bass, drums and a little keyboards. I have 5 guitars and a bass, and an old 1986 Yamaha DX7 keyboard. I also have done a bit of home recording using Cubase and Orchestrator. I have been in bands since 1984, and have done some big shows, the biggest being Reading Festival in 1998. Since I started this Green Card thing, I haven't done any music at all, as my nursing exam took priority, but as soon as I get to the States I want to form another band, preferably an all-female Rock band. I would just love to form an all-female Bon Jovi tribute band, just for the laugh! Each time I visit the States I take my guitars over one by one. I had to buy flight cases for all of them which cost a fortune! They have some great music stores over there so I can't wait to start again.

Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:33 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I can play piano a little bit!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:18 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Played piano when I was a kid - didn't get the pocket money unless we'd done our weekly practise. Quite enjoyed it while I was having lessons with a cute old spinster who was about 4'0'', but then she died, and we went to Mrs Butters who was absolutely terrifying - looked like the wild woman form Borneao, and used to screech "wretched boy" at me every time I missed a note. Still managed to get up to about Grade 4 or 5, so che can't have been that bad. Not played for years, and tried a couple of years back, but had lost it all. Now I 'play' the sax, which had been an ambition for years, and my wife bought me one about 4 years back. Unfortunately since the kids came along, I don't get much chance- the eldest (just over 2) screams blue murder if I even get it out of the cupboard! So i amke do with his toy drumset, and a bit of airguitar, which he loves - he's doing quite well on the latter himself!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:19 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ps - am also looking at opening a coffee shop, so maybe Napoleon was right about that. Maybe he should have been in HR instead of the Army.................