Reload this Page >

So what makes you laugh about the US..

So what makes you laugh about the US..

Old Jun 6th 2003, 10:26 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
J C Penney calls there Knicker section Intimate Apparel - sounds like the assistants are going to do something nasty to you with a rubber glove. Its only underwear, call it underwear not something that sounds like vibrators or sex toys!

Another one - Feminine Hygene - are women smelly and horrible and need a special section for their hygene. Whats in that section? Tampax, pads and bells so you can ring them and shout "unclean, unclean".

Patrick
I did laugh when I saw all those signs in restaraunt toilets aimed at their staff - All emplyees must wash their hands with soap and water and dry with a sanitary towel - ugh!!!

The name 'rest room' also makes me laugh, I usually just pee, not rest!

Emm.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 1:26 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

OK, this is from todays paper - You don't have to read it all but you do have to read the penultimate paragraph!

BEACH BLAST!
Annual party at Carolina Beach adds a new contest and brings back some popular musicians
By Amy Hotz
Staff Writer
[email protected]

Beach Blast 2003
When: 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday. Gates open at 11 a.m.
Where: Beach Stage by the boardwalk on Carolina Beach.

Schedule:
11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Maybe Sunday
12:30-2 p.m. Sonja's Kitchen
2 p.m. Fort Fisher Hermit lookalike contest
2:15-4 p.m. Plain White Bread
4 p.m. Bikini Contest
4:30-7 p.m. Wild Men from Borneo
Tickets: $15.
Details: 200-3288.
A beach trolley will travel to and from the event all day. Visitors can park their cars at Federal Point Shopping Center and meet the trolley near the cash machine in the parking lot. Trolley tickets are $2 round trip.

You can have a blast at the beach in a lot of ways. You can swim, surf, water-ski, build sand castles or just enjoy the peace and quiet.

But visitors to Carolina Beach this weekend will get one more option - the Pleasure Island Merchants Association's Beach Blast 2003. You won't catch people relaxing on the sand there. Beach Blast is all about high-energy rock 'n' roll and sexy (and not-so-sexy) contests.

For the first time, members of the Fort Fisher Hermit Society will hold their annual Hermit Lookalike Contest at the Blast.

"We call it an annual event but actually, we held one about two years ago at the bunker," said Michael Edwards, president of the society. "Then again, this hermit wasn't really a hermit, so there you go."

Robert Harrill, aka the Fort Fisher Hermit, was an older man who gave up the conveniences of modern life. During the '60s and '70s he lived off the salt marshes and ocean in Pleasure Island.

For some reason, people were drawn to him, Mr. Edwards said. People from all over the world would fight mosquitoes and sand spurs to visit the old man and talk about life. Then, they would leave a little money in his frying pan and walk back to their highways and air conditioning.

When Mr. Harrill died under suspicious circumstances, his appeal became even stronger.

At Beach Blast, Mr. Edwards and three to five judges will look for anyone, male or female who most resembles the hermit - bearded, straw hat, ragged cut-off shorts, a dark suntan and, "someone with a pleasant demeanor or just quirky," would fit the description best, Mr. Edwards said.

The contest is similar to the Hemingway Days Festival's "Papa" lookalike contest held in Key West each July.

"We know that there are a lot of people down there that look a lot like hermits. As a matter of fact, some people wouldn't even have to do anything," Mr. Edwards said.

That, of course, is the not-so-sexy contest. Then, you have the bikini contest. Kathy Owen, chairwoman of the Beach Blast, said she expects about 20 contestants, weather permitting. She's left much of the organizing details up to another person, but she did ask him what the criteria would be for the winner.

"I asked him, 'Are you going to be judging the bikini or what's in the bikini?' " she said.

To make the contest a little more interesting, judges will ask entrants questions on stage and their responses will be taken into consideration for the cash prize.

"And if a guy wants to be bold enough to put one on, hey, he's got free reign to do so," Ms. Owen said.

The contests are popular, but the main event for the Beach Blast each year is the band lineup. Four familiar local groups are scheduled to hit the stage with modern rock tunes.

"There'll be four bands as opposed to three and we will go to 7 p.m. instead of 5 p.m., so we've added two hours to the event," said Merchants Association member, Dee Jenzano. "We're on a roll."

While most people would expect beach music and shag at what is arguably the birthplace of the genre, you won't find it at the main event. That's reserved for the special Beach Music Cruise the day before the Blast. Ticket holders will step aboard a party boat for a cruise down the waterway with The Imitations. Everyone is encouraged to shag.

"We've got something to cover everybody," Ms. Owen said.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

What you mean even ranjini would get a shag here ?
Old Jun 8th 2003, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
What you mean even ranjini would get a shag here ?
What a rude and unpleasant individual you are.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 2:18 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
I hope your talking about Ranjini and the Doc. Ranjini, Steve and Lisa have been terrorising this forum for about a week, being both rude and demeaning to members of this forum. They have insulted almost everyone by name and deserve any retrebution they get as far as I am concerned.

The worse thing about it is Steve has the balls to start a thread of his own condoning the people who defend themselves against his, his wifes and Ranjini's savage and inane attacks.

The only rude and unpleasant people on here are those three and Wilf at the moment who seems intent on causing havoc for no apparent reason. Go back a week and see how much fun this forum was, then read the threads that the four horsemen of the appocalypse hijacked and reaped havoc on.

My signature is "Where there are visible vapors having their provenance ignited carbonaceous materials, there is conflagration" and you betcha these four have ignited carbonaceous materials to cause conflagration!

Patrick
Old Jun 8th 2003, 2:51 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I believe he's talking about Scrumpy. Scrumpy has been judged by his words....
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

While I don't like some of the descriptives and reposts Dr Scrumpy posts, I really do think that the Shag reference was tongue in cheek, and not particularly rude or hurtful
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:43 pm
Banned

Originally posted by robclews
While I don't like some of the descriptives and reposts Dr Scrumpy posts, I really do think that the Shag reference was tongue in cheek, and not particularly rude or hurtful
Yeah right! Let's get into what degree Scrumpy is "rude and hurtful". Disagree even the mildest form, as Steve did and you're mud Hey, Steve gave the forum back to you to do as you please. And I'm out of here myself. I for one don't need this kind of crap. Scrumpy is all yours. Now you can go ahead and give him a hero's welcome....
Old Jun 8th 2003, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I dont believe you. You have made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:11 am
Pagan Sex God

There is a clothes line for women called Sag Harbor, that makes me laugh, which woman in their right mind would buy something could sag harbor. Whats next fat container!

Patrick

Ranjini - don't hijack this thread like you have done others. Your turning this nice place into one bitchiness. I bet the property values have shot down since you moved in!
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:20 am
Banned

Ranjini - don't hijack this thread like you have done others. Your turning this nice place into one bitchiness. I bet the property values have shot down since you moved in!
Good morning, Sunshine....yawn, just sat down with my coffee to read my morning mail. And up pops this insane British Expats notification. I have to do something about that.
Just leaving the bitchiness to you and Scrumpy. You make a much better job of it than I do...
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
Yeah right! Let's get into what degree Scrumpy is "rude and hurtful". Disagree even the mildest form, as Steve did and you're mud Hey, Steve gave the forum back to you to do as you please. And I'm out of here myself. I for one don't need this kind of crap. Scrumpy is all yours. Now you can go ahead and give him a hero's welcome....

This is a forum for views, comments and reflection, not tit for tat infantile squabbling about who is better than the other, who’s nation is better than the next one, who liberated who, who has a better life, more money, more cars, better fishing, the list goes on. Half the crap wouldn’t be here if you and Grumpy Scrumpy didn't keep goading each other with pathetic reposts.

I assumed at one time that you were above all this pettiness, so for gods sake when you say you are not going to reply anymore, stick to it, then we don’t have to see each genuine thread hijacked by an endless stream of ego tripping.

You accuse people of being rude and hurtful, your comments too are the same, so if you don’t like what is written by Scrumpy don’t stoop to his level and keep it going.

For one I don’t give a shit about who is arrogant and rude, I don’t consider myself to be, nor do I have an issue with being in America, I like most American people, I like most people in general, I adore the country in the same way as I adore the UK. There have been people I liked and disliked in every country I have been to, Arrogant and Ignorant people are not exclusive to the UK there are plenty here as well and by my saying so does not mean that I am ‘dishing America’ as has been suggested.

Can’t we just keep the threads on track, if people want to dish each other then open a new thread and the rest of us can ignore it.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 1:31 am
Banned

Originally posted by robclews
I assumed at one time that you were above all this pettiness, so for gods sake when you say you are not going to reply anymore, stick to it,
You were right. But I was insulted in the vilest way possible. Now you don't have to go into the whys and the wherefores. My husband was all out to deal with Scrumpy... that's how angry he was. I had to beg of him to desist and not make the situation more complicated than it already was.
If something like this had happened in the "real" world, I would have been the first to support my husband in taking some sort of legal action. But this is not the real world is it?
No, I will not be returning to this particular "twilight zone" which is peopled only by those who agree with one another. You can be assured of that. I am replying this particular post because it's adressed to me. If you don't want to hear from me, don't address posts to me. Good bye, Robclews...
Old Jun 9th 2003, 8:17 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what makes you laugh about the US..

We have had "what is expensive" and "what do you think you would have like to discover earlier" but what has made you laugh about the USA (saying Ranjini will make your nose bleed).

<<snip>>
Ironically, it's American humor that doesn't make me laugh. At least the so called sitcoms don't, e.g. Friends, Becker and other well known series's (sp?).

The humor is so predictable and the shows seem kind of similar to one another.

So, for the very fact that American comedies don't make me laugh, it raises a laugh for me. Does anybody understand what I mean?

My US husband on the other hand very much enjoys and misses:
The League of Gentlemen
Have I Got News for You
Smack the Pony

NC Penguin
Old Jun 9th 2003, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. Its like how long can Friends drag out the sexual tension between Ross and Racheal and the whole will they, wont they story lines. There is no cutting edge comedy on main stream American TV. Its pushed onto some obscure cable channel instead, as it isnt like Will and Grace or Seinfeld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.