Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So pleased to have found you

So pleased to have found you

Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Talking So pleased to have found you

I can't say how happy I am to have found this forum and to be able to read the success stories of other brits having made it to America. Sorry if I sound really slushy but I've been looking for a job in America for a year now (H1b, IT) with no success. I know it's going to take a while yet but I'll keep at it. Doesn't help I suppose that I want to move to Texas so I've narrowed my chances considerably.

Just wanted to say hi for now. brilliant website and brilliant forum, I hope sometime soon it will be ME posting my "I've arrived" message!

BSG
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So pleased to have found you

Originally posted by BlueScottyGirl
I can't say how happy I am to have found this forum and to be able to read the success stories of other brits having made it to America. Sorry if I sound really slushy but I've been looking for a job in America for a year now (H1b, IT) with no success. I know it's going to take a while yet but I'll keep at it. Doesn't help I suppose that I want to move to Texas so I've narrowed my chances considerably.

Just wanted to say hi for now. brilliant website and brilliant forum, I hope sometime soon it will be ME posting my "I've arrived" message!

BSG
Welcome, Scotty! What part of Scotland are you from?

There are several people here who work in IT, and although many of the regular posters came here via the spouse route, there are plenty who did it the H1b route also. Feel free to post specific questions. There's a board specifically for US visas, that's good for technical help, although the "lifestyle/culture" boards are good if you want to moan about things related to visas and immigration - we've all been through it one way or another. Also, there's a sister site devoted to US immigration/visa posts that I've found especially helpful in the past. It's at http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...p?s=&forumid=3
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dunroving,

We're up in the Highlands at the moment which is where I'm from, hubby is from Glasgow.

I've been to those forums you recommended in the past, they are very informative and useful but I was hoping to hook up with others from the UK because most other forums that discuss H1B are full of people from Asia and I was beginning to think that no one from the UK goes to the US on H1B

It's a tough ride in the current climate but at least we're now getting rejection emails. Six months ago we were sending out 100+ emails to companies every week and weren't even getting a reply. Now at least we're getting "brilliant CV, would be interested, but we can fill the job locally" which, while negative, is at least a step forward, right? *L* (I try to see the donut not the hole)

We have a lot of things in place for when we get there, house, car, a truck load of friends but without a job and the all important visa it all counts for squat!!

Thanks for the warm welcome and help offered, I really appreciate it.

BSG
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:23 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Welcome to BritishExpats BlueScottyGirl!

I'm glad you found us too!

I'm Brigie (in Connecticut) -- Nice to meet you!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Just remember that Americans call a "cv" a "resume." I would guess that 90 percent of Americans don't even know what a cv is.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by edwords
Just remember that Americans call a "cv" a "resume." I would guess that 90 percent of Americans don't even know what a cv is.
Oh yes! good point! my brain was thinking in "english" when I typed that *L*

His CV has been "americanised" with the help of our friends in TX and is called "resume"
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scotty!! So, what led to your decision to move to Texas and the US?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:51 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of us British rabble in Texas Scotty, yer in the right place.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jabba1
Hi Scotty!! So, what led to your decision to move to Texas and the US?
It's been a long held dream of mine to go to the US, Jabba1. When I met my husband ten years ago I found that he also wanted to go there. He went to University then to work in IT for a couple of years and applied for some positions in CA, we quickly found that two years experience wasn't enough. So, we put the idea on the back burner while he built up some more experience (currently six) and in the meantime we fell in love with Dallas and made there our final destination. We have friends there now which is a bit of a draw, I've even found the pipe band I'm going to join when I get there!

We realise it's going to take some time with the market the way it is but we want it badly enough to make it happen.

Plenty of us British rabble in Texas Scotty, yer in the right place
I'll look forward to having a drink with you all when I get there
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Just WHEN did the Brits start calling a resume a CV then? Hadn't a clue what my friend's son was going on about a few years back.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Just WHEN did the Brits start calling a resume a CV then? Hadn't a clue what my friend's son was going on about a few years back.
I think it's always been called a CV over here. Short for cirriculum vitae (sp) which I THINK is Latin and we just sort of shortened it to two letters at some point.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BlueScottyGirl
Oh yes! good point! my brain was thinking in "english" when I typed that *L*

His CV has been "americanised" with the help of our friends in TX and is called "resume"
I write for both U.S. and U.K. publications, so I'm used to switching between spellings and various business expressions.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poshpaws

I was at Secondary school in 1990 and was advised then that it was a CV, not a resume as I had previously thought.

The amount of blank faces that I got when I first arrived here and asked people if they could "pass my CV out to their employer" was unbelievable.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

It's just one of those things I think you learn when you spend time with people from both the US and the UK. I'll change my language when talking to an american friend but not neccesserally my spelling, I only change that when writing something in HTML etc. (colour=color etc.)

Although I did raise an eyebrow or two when I had dinner with my Dallas friends a couple of weeks ago and asked them if I could "bum a fag!" thankfully we'd already had the "language" discussion so after a moments confusion they knew what I meant!! *L*
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:06 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

CVs are also used in the states and tend to be longer than resumes. This is from monster.com"

Curriculum vitae -- Latin for "the course of one's life" and also known as a CV or vita -- is used by professionals in medical, academic and scientific fields. A CV is a record of professional activities that focuses on academic pursuits and achievements. Examples of professionals who require CVs include doctors, nurses, clinicians, lab technicians, professors, researchers, scientists, graduate school candidates, and grant or fellowship applicants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.