Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So close....but still no job.

So close....but still no job.

Old May 10th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Red face So close....but still no job.

I had an interview on friday that went really well. The job didn't pay great, but the location and hours were good. And after years of doing shift work, hours are more important than pay right now. Anyways, I get a call this morning from the same manager who interviewed me on friday, wanting to know whether I could get down there this morning so he could drive me down to where the job site was for a look around. I thought "Bingo! I've got it" and then made a mad dash to the shower to get ready. Just as I get out of the shower, I get another call from the manager to say the person that was relocating who's job I'd be taking, is now no longer relocating, so there was now no longer a job. Bugger!!!

On the plus side, he is passing my resume on to other managers and HR, because he was impressed with me and my resume. I've got to call him in a week or so if I haven't heard anything. I was a little worried that I wouldn't even get this job, because he told me that I was over qualified for what was a entry level position. I had to do my best convincing act that I really didnt mind the low pay and starting at the bottom. Heck, I just want a pay check!.

So back to the job hunt.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So close....but still no job.

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I had an interview on friday that went really well. The job didn't pay great, but the location and hours were good. And after years of doing shift work, hours are more important than pay right now. Anyways, I get a call this morning from the same manager who interviewed me on friday, wanting to know whether I could get down there this morning so he could drive me down to where the job site was for a look around. I thought "Bingo! I've got it" and then made a mad dash to the shower to get ready. Just as I get out of the shower, I get another call from the manager to say the person that was relocating who's job I'd be taking, is now no longer relocating, so there was now no longer a job. Bugger!!!

On the plus side, he is passing my resume on to other managers and HR, because he was impressed with me and my resume. I've got to call him in a week or so if I haven't heard anything. I was a little worried that I wouldn't even get this job, because he told me that I was over qualified for what was a entry level position. I had to do my best convincing act that I really didnt mind the low pay and starting at the bottom. Heck, I just want a pay check!.

So back to the job hunt.
In my experience, when applying for jobs that I'm overqualified for, I omit items that will only make me appear overqualified.

e.g. omitting professional memberships, training/courses taken that aren't relevant to the job.

Of course, the most appropriate way to make yourself appealing to a job that you're overqualified for is to omit mention achievements/skills/experience within particular past jobs (I don't mean omitting the job altogether) and drawing attention to transferable skills/experience for the job you're applying for.

Perhaps it's a little difficult if you're applying for a job that's in a completely different industry but it's good to know that there are ways to make yourself a better candidate without actually lying.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:21 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side, he is passing my resume on to other managers and HR, because he was impressed with me and my resume.
Sorry to hear that you weren't ultimately offered the job but at least you got some interview practice in and you made a contact at the firm. Here's hoping he's as good as his word and that something comes up.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
Sorry to hear that you weren't ultimately offered the job but at least you got some interview practice in and you made a contact at the firm. Here's hoping he's as good as his word and that something comes up.
I think he is genuine, because he said to call him in a week if I hadn't heard anything and he also gave me the name of the person who'd probably be calling me. So, I'll keep waiting and looking for something else.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:33 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

At least you know you're doing the right things and getting called in.

Keep on keeping on.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:39 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I sympathise with you. I've had two interviews and the one was very positive but the job had not actually been created yet and there was no funding but they seemed genuine enough and have called to say they will keep me in mind for other positions that may come up. The other, I didn't hear from them so gave up expecting to, when 8 weeks later I get a letter telling me the post had been filled. I was surprised how slow that was. Of all the jobs I've applied for those are the only two where I've had any personal contact.... apart from an agency who called me to see if I wanted to join them. When I turned up for the interview they kept me waiting for over an hour while the woman meant to be interviewing me sat and drank coffee and chatted about her weekend to her friend, so I eventually left. Probably a mistake but that's me. I'm sure there is a job for me and you somewhere!

Maggie

So back to the job hunt.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

So back to the job hunt.
Know the feeling boy. Got laid off a couple of weeks ago. We had 3 layoffs in 8 months, after the last 2 they said no more would go as we had a couple of big contracts in the offing. Well the contracts fell thru (we made stuff to do with the war, go figure). Anyway as I was the last person into the dept, I was the first to go. We only had 4 people, 2 of us got let go. The thing is I had my review last month and was given a promotion and a 14% pay raise and told how indispensible I was to the dept. (yeah tell that to all the people in the cemetary). I held 3 different positions in the Co, 2 of which I was headhunted for by separate departments, each one involved a promotion and pay raise.

On the plus side I had an interview this morning. Boy that was rough. I have never been interviewed by a panel before, talk about sweaty palms. Some of the stuff they threw out at me had me thinking on my feet I can tell you. I have not had to do an interview for years and it is surprising how hard it is to blow your own trumpet without sounding too big headed. I should hear in a couple of days if I got the job. Oh well, I figure no-one died so it is no biggy. Will need to brush up on my interviewing skills though. I had a quick look on the Monster board on interviewing tactics but the buggers never asked me anything that was on there. On the downside, I cannot compete anymore with the little girls with the mini skirts. Just hope that they are looking for someone who knows what they are doing as opposed to someone who just looks good.
Old May 10th 2004, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

The interviewing was a whole new shocker for me. I hadn't had to do one for over 12 years. I was very rusty. So far I think I have sent out 8 resumes and had 3 interviews. One of those 3 was a second interview though. The other 6 jobs I didn't even hear back from.
Old May 11th 2004, 12:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pimpbot,

Don’t know if I’ve been away from Blighty too long sizzling in the Valley, but many HR departments hardly seem a model of efficiency over here.

Our worst experience so far was for my poor wife, who had an interview early our first November, passed with flying colours and was asked to ‘join the team’. The company never called her, never returned her polite, weekly phone calls, basically did diddly squat. So she looked for and found another position pronto (it’s expensive moving continents). Out of the blue, the beginning of the following February, the trainer called her on a Sunday evening to announce that her training would start Monday morning. Poor woman seemed a little taken aback when she explained she was working elsewhere and would decline their kind offer.

We originally thought this was a one off, just bad luck, but it actually seems to be the norm. I was stupid enough to get promoted at work (that Brit accent charms them every time!) and am now responsible for hiring for my little empire. However, all candidates have to be ‘pre-screened’ by HR before I get to interview them. I can go months and months understaffed, constantly feeding them leads of suitable candidates, with nothing trickling back for me to actually interview. Frustrating…
Old May 11th 2004, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi FB,

The first company I interviewed with seemed to be just like the ones you describe. It appeared to me that I was the one doing all the work chasing them up and all the dates and times they gave me all came to nothing.

I see you're in Tempe. The job would have been in Tempe on University near 52nd street. Just down the road from me.
Old May 11th 2004, 3:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

That’d have been okay down there by the airport – could’ve lunched at that Brit pub – think it’s called the George & Dragon? I even ate their steak & kidney pie once and lived to tell the tale…

As for the job, just keep plugging and don’t let the b**t**ds get you down. If you can’t network your way in, flood them with resumes. They don’t seem to understand the term CV here, but whatever you call it they like them short and sharp, max 2 pages. No idea why – short attention span maybe? Also, fill it with the words they like, e.g. ‘issue’ rather than ‘problem’.

Also, watch out carefully for phony job offers that are just disguised MLM – Primerica would spring instantly to mind. You’ll run into these jokers if you post on the web or attend job fairs. Usually quickly revealed when they’re unable to tell you what the job actually is, just that you’ll be buying a Corvette after your first year.
Old May 11th 2004, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers FB.

I've heard the George and Dragon isnt worth going to, as the food sucks?. I pass it every week coming back from Go Karting in Phoenix, but have never stopped.
Old May 11th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

So back to the job hunt.
Just keep your head up, you will get there just do not give up!
Old May 11th 2004, 7:25 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Bad luck Pimpbot. Sorry to hear that you've been led up the garden path. It's been frustrating enough for you as it is without this. Something will come up I'm sure. Just keep plugging away at it and sooner or later you will find something. If all the halfwits in this town can find a job then surely you must be able to. Never been to the George & Dragon either, but passed it loads of times. There's a Brit store called A Bit Of Brit right opposite and I've been in there once.