Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So this is Christmas, and what have you done

So this is Christmas, and what have you done

Old Dec 18th 2004, 9:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: So this is Christmas, and what have you done

Originally Posted by Patrick
Did you see -

18. Ronan Keating feat. Maire Brennan - Fairy Tale Of New York

What the heck - you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, merry Christmas your arse, I pray to God its your last! - sung by Ronan - has the world gone mad!!!!!

Ha ha ha! My version of this CD has the original version by the Pogues & Kirsty MacColl.

It also has Cliff Richard singing 'Mistletoe and Wine' (which I usually skip LOL!)

It also has Chris Rea singing 'Driving Home for Christmas' so I love playing it in the car, always feel nice and cosy singing along with that one....and I'm fond of that weird song sung in Latin by that folk group Steeleye Span (Gaudete). I still remember Maddy Prior on Top of the Pops who was like an older version of Kate Bush but on the magic mushrooms.... (Can anyone remember their song "Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor'?).

Steeleye Span were on at the Arts Centre at Warwick University a couple of years ago when I was over in England for Christmas but all the tickets had sold out .

Last edited by Englishmum; Dec 18th 2004 at 9:38 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 3:09 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So this is Christmas, and what have you done

Originally Posted by Patrick
[B]
What do you like about the American Christmas
Hmmm err I know this one....uhm...
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Miss the roast spuds, boxing day, being a slob and having loads of booze, the longer holidays, the cheesy tv specials, decent cards

Like, cheesy decorations, more gifts snow, but it's a pain after x-mas avoiding wild turkeys that hang around, that a lot of shops wrap gifts for free...
Check out www.deliaonline.com she has got some great recipies and tips for roast spuds. good old Delia Smith.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:55 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Spuds are easy:

1) Bring saucepan to the boil and boil spuds for 10 minutes

2) Remove from saucepan and score with a fork (this will help them go crispy when they roast).

3) Place them in a pan and brush cooking oil over them.

4) Place in oven at 400 and roast until golden brown.

Remember to brush more oil on them at regular intervals during roasting.

Easy as.....as......spuds.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Spuds are easy:

1) Bring saucepan to the boil and boil spuds for 10 minutes

2) Remove from saucepan and score with a fork (this will help them go crispy when they roast).

3) Place them in a pan and brush cooking oil over them.

4) Place in oven at 400 and roast until golden brown.

Remember to brush more oil on them at regular intervals during roasting.

Easy as.....as......spuds.
that's how I do mine spuds.
But I thought you shaved yours every other day or something though.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:47 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
that's how I do mine spuds.
But I thought you shaved yours every other day or something though.
Yeah, shave 'em, clean the dirt off them and then dig out the warty bits

And reading that back......sounds nasty
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:08 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
My favourite Christmas song, included on this compilation, has to be:

22. Bing Crosby/David Bowie - Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy

This post just cost me 75 quid. Probably about $140.00 USD. I couldn't resist, went to Amazon and bought the album, plus 2 "I'm Alan Partridge" and 3 "Fast Show' DVD's
Old Dec 20th 2004, 11:00 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I know what you mean, but they stick it in one of those pot jobbies and there's no room for it...they ain't in to basting the veg as they roast...which is what I do when we have roasts on our own....do love a good roast tatty, and yorkshire pud, but that's a bit much hassle....
I bought some Yorkshire pudding/popover mix in Williams Sonoma for Thanksgiving and I have to say they were gorgeous! It was so easy too. I just put the mixture into a muffin pan and they came out like perfect Yorkshire puds and tasted amazing.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:44 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Williams Sonoma is *the* best shop I've found over here. Well that and Galyans which sells all sorts of lovely sporting stuff.

Last edited by sibsie; Dec 21st 2004 at 12:45 am. Reason: fat finger syndrome
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So this is Christmas, and what have you done- OT

Originally Posted by sibsie
Williams Sonoma is *the* best shop I've found over here. Well that and Galyans which sells all sorts of lovely sporting stuff.
There's a WS in the megamall close to where I live. It's a good place to check for the latest gadgets but it's overpriced in my opinion. They don't even sell any decent cutting boards or knife racks. Ended up buying off the web for both items...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There's a WS in the megamall close to where I live. It's a good place to check for the latest gadgets but it's overpriced in my opinion. They don't even sell any decent cutting boards or knife racks. Ended up buying off the web for both items...
Aye, and the pestle/mortars are shite, fell apart pretty quickly the one we bought, and didn't even drop the thing...but nice nibbles
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, and the pestle/mortars are shite, fell apart pretty quickly the one we bought, and didn't even drop the thing...but nice nibbles
Maybe you should try getting hold of the Japanese version of a pestle and mortar, called a "suribachi". The mortar has vertical groves in it making grinding much faster.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Maybe you should try getting hold of the Japanese version of a pestle and mortar, called a "suribachi". The mortar has vertical groves in it making grinding much faster.
Aye, I've seen them around, but already got another one, but if this one dies, I'll get one, the prob I have with the grooved ones, there a pain in the arse to clean
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha ha! My version of this CD has the original version by the Pogues & Kirsty MacColl.

It also has Cliff Richard singing 'Mistletoe and Wine' (which I usually skip LOL!)

It also has Chris Rea singing 'Driving Home for Christmas' so I love playing it in the car, always feel nice and cosy singing along with that one....and I'm fond of that weird song sung in Latin by that folk group Steeleye Span (Gaudete). I still remember Maddy Prior on Top of the Pops who was like an older version of Kate Bush but on the magic mushrooms.... (Can anyone remember their song "Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor'?).

Steeleye Span were on at the Arts Centre at Warwick University a couple of years ago when I was over in England for Christmas but all the tickets had sold out .

I play a Chris Rea song in the car on the way to the in-laws too! Except I play "Road to Hell"