Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So this is Christmas, and what have you done

So this is Christmas, and what have you done

Old Dec 18th 2004, 2:38 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default So this is Christmas, and what have you done

what do you miss about Christmas - good and bad

Obviously Boxing day

Those Ferero Roche Adverts "Oh Ambassador, you're really spoiling us!"

Morecombe and Wise Repeats

Sherry - the fifth food group (has anyone actually had a sherry at any other time of the year)

Pantomimes

What do you like about the American Christmas

Sweet Potatoes

Rudolph - "Eat Papa, Eat! No-one likes a skinny Santa!"
Old Dec 18th 2004, 2:44 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So this is Christmas, and what have you done

Miss..

Depression enducing Christmas Day episodes of Easties.

Christmas Pud which I hate but insist on having in England.

Roast potatoes not mashed that people serve over here.

Don't miss...

Nowhere to park when you're shopping (I lived in London)

Like...
Totally OTT decorations and lights on houses. Makes me feel far more classy than I actually am.

Christmas type weather. Cold, blue sky days and snow. Will probably regret saying this on Monday when our noreaster hits.

Having to stop my car while 10 wild turkeys cross the road.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 4:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Miss the roast spuds, boxing day, being a slob and having loads of booze, the longer holidays, the cheesy tv specials, decent cards

Like, cheesy decorations, more gifts snow, but it's a pain after x-mas avoiding wild turkeys that hang around, that a lot of shops wrap gifts for free...
Old Dec 18th 2004, 5:29 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Miss the roast spuds
Then make your own you lazy git

My wife loves my spuds. And you can read that anyway you like
Old Dec 18th 2004, 5:40 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Miss

A normal Xmas holiday - I'll only be off the Saturday and Sunday. On top of my US work, I also freelance for a company back in Blighty and they are out the 24th until the 4th. Lucky sods.

Xmas Top of The Pops - so I can see how far the music industry is going down the toilet.

The Only Fools and Horses Xmas Special

Snow

The OTT Xmas decorations. All I need is a snow making machine to complete my display of reindeer and sleigh and I'm good to go. I'm sure there's a "you might be a red neck if..." joke in there somewhere.

Shopping. My wife tells me to go to the mall for Xmas stuff now is insane. "It's packed!!!" We travel to the mall and it's just a little busier than usual. "See, it's jammed in here." Note to self, never take wife Xmas shopping in England as I believe she will pass out with the "real" crowds we get.

The Santa Suit I bought from Target last year.......coz the wife looks great in it
Old Dec 18th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Miss

Wearing the latest gaudy jumper some aunt brought you this year.
Going to a match on Boxing day ( although it is 27th Dec this year )
Wondering how many recipes I will need to finish off the turkey.
Slade Merry Xmas everybody ( is it really Xmas till you have heard that song ?)
Roast spuds instead of midwest mashed with the turkey ( yuk yuk yuk )

Waking up next to the Memsahib knowing that we have got each other some tacky but funny gifts amongst the presents, and waiting to see her smile as she opens her gifts.

Seeing proper Xmas decorations up, Pompey sadly never bothered with many if any at all.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 2:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: So this is Christmas, and what have you done

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Miss

Slade Merry Xmas everybody ( is it really Xmas till you have heard that song ?)

Doc - if you're quick -ie. do it now - you can order this album online from the UK site of Amazon and you should receive it next week (we've been getting orders from Blighty here in three days!!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...327923-5315804

(It's an import on the US amazon site and you wouldn't get it in time for Christmas). If you order from the UK they take off the VAT which compensates for the postal charge (which is inexpensive anyway for a CD).

I bought my copy of this album a few years ago whilst living in Singapore although it has a slightly different format. It was pretty surreal listening to songs about snow in a tropical climate and even one of the shopping malls there have an artificial 'snow making' machine which pumps out 'snow' every hour....but it's actually foamy soap suds LOL!

You certainly won't regret buying the CD - it's so good to listen to Wizzard, Slade, Jonah Lewie (Stop the Cavalry) etc.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 2:29 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You certainly won't regret buying the CD - it's so good to listen to Wizzard, Slade, Jonah Lewie (Stop the Cavalry) etc.
I've got that one amongst my huge collection of Christmas music.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Then make your own you lazy git
I do...but it ain't easy at x-mas, there's nae room in the oven
Old Dec 18th 2004, 4:49 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Bob
I do...but it ain't easy at x-mas, there's nae room in the oven
It's all in the timing

I usually place the spuds around the turkey so they cook together and get enough fat from the turkey to turn 'em crispy.

I couldn't live with out me roasties.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
It's all in the timing

I usually place the spuds around the turkey so they cook together and get enough fat from the turkey to turn 'em crispy.

I couldn't live with out me roasties.
I know what you mean, but they stick it in one of those pot jobbies and there's no room for it...they ain't in to basting the veg as they roast...which is what I do when we have roasts on our own....do love a good roast tatty, and yorkshire pud, but that's a bit much hassle....
Old Dec 18th 2004, 5:19 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Bob
do love a good roast tatty, and yorkshire pud, but that's a bit much hassle....
But that's the true spirit of Xmas. Sweating your arse off in the kitchen making sure everything finishes cooking together. No one likes a cold roast tator
Old Dec 18th 2004, 6:52 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Doc - if you're quick -ie. do it now - you can order this album online from the UK site of Amazon and you should receive it next week (we've been getting orders from Blighty here in three days!!):

(It's an import on the US amazon site and you wouldn't get it in time for Christmas). If you order from the UK they take off the VAT which compensates for the postal charge (which is inexpensive anyway for a CD).

I bought my copy of this album a few years ago whilst living in Singapore although it has a slightly different format. It was pretty surreal listening to songs about snow in a tropical climate and even one of the shopping malls there have an artificial 'snow making' machine which pumps out 'snow' every hour....but it's actually foamy soap suds LOL!

Did you see -

18. Ronan Keating feat. Maire Brennan - Fairy Tale Of New York

What the heck - you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, merry Christmas your arse, I pray to God its your last! - sung by Ronan - has the world gone mad!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2004, 6:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Did you see -

18. Ronan Keating feat. Maire Brennan - Fairy Tale Of New York

What the heck - you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, merry Christmas your arse, I pray to God its your last! - sung by Ronan - has the world gone mad!!!!!
We all know the world has gone mad ever since Bush was re-elected for a second term!

NC Penguin
Old Dec 18th 2004, 8:13 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite Christmas song, included on this compilation, has to be:

22. Bing Crosby/David Bowie - Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.