Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Smoking in the USA

Wikiposts

Smoking in the USA

Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoking in the USA

Originally Posted by Sally
Very sensible
I suppose I do have bad habits...but smoking's not one of them.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Eek...my imagination's running wild...
Old Nov 5th 2006, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No never I dont believe it
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Does everybody smoke? :scared:
I don't really drink coffee, so have a couple smoke breaks instead during work, with a couple of the guys, I don't smoke out of hours or elsewhere, unless I'm getting sloshed
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:35 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I used to smoke an awful lot.

A few years ago, while I was still a smoker, I went to California on holidays. As you know, you are not allowed to smoke anywhere, other than the street.. I found that whenever I lit a cigarrette on the street people would give me dirty looks, like if I was going to give them a dissease or something? they made me feel really bad about smoking, particularly in LA. On my way back to the UK I was flying via Chicago and while I was at the airport I went outside for a cigarrette. A woman came to me and said "excuse me, you are bothering me with your smoke, can you move further?" . Believe me, it isn't in my nature to be rude or to answer back, but I was sooooo fed up of the general attitude towards smoking that I hadn't enjoyed my holiday at all and this was my opportunity to say something before leaving the US.. so I said "I am really sorry madam, but I am standing in the street so if I am bothering you perhaps you could move further.."

I am about to move to the US and I am glad I don't smoke any more, I just hated the way people used to make me feel about smoking!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:37 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Does everybody smoke? :scared:
No not me, another lifestyle choice I made
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:53 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I used to smoke an awful lot.

A few years ago, while I was still a smoker, I went to California on holidays. As you know, you are not allowed to smoke anywhere, other than the street.. I found that whenever I lit a cigarrette on the street people would give me dirty looks, like if I was going to give them a dissease or something? they made me feel really bad about smoking, particularly in LA. On my way back to the UK I was flying via Chicago and while I was at the airport I went outside for a cigarrette. A woman came to me and said "excuse me, you are bothering me with your smoke, can you move further?" . Believe me, it isn't in my nature to be rude or to answer back, but I was sooooo fed up of the general attitude towards smoking that I hadn't enjoyed my holiday at all and this was my opportunity to say something before leaving the US.. so I said "I am really sorry madam, but I am standing in the street so if I am bothering you perhaps you could move further.."

I am about to move to the US and I am glad I don't smoke any more, I just hated the way people used to make me feel about smoking!
Sounds about right, one of the things that wears thin very quickly in LA is people's attitudes, some just cannot mind their own business and live and let live......... then you hear the same idiots rambling on about freedom
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:01 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sounds about right, one of the things that wears thin very quickly in LA is people's attitudes, some just cannot mind their own business and live and let live......... then you hear the same idiots rambling on about freedom

these people's "double moral" makes me soo angry, but what can you expect from "the land of freedom" where everything is forbidden?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:09 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
these people's "double moral" makes me soo angry, but what can you expect from "the land of freedom" where everything is forbidden?
They just banned smoking outside on a 3 block pedestrian areawhere I live which is very popular with numerous bars and restaurants, smoking is also banned on many beaches. Only smoking occasionaly now I don't really care as I don't crave cigarettes as I used to when I was a full time smoker.
I have mixed emotions as the cigarette butts probably do cause some environmental fallout. What irritates me is the nosey bastards who take it upon themselves to enforce it, almost vigilante style......... Meanwhile all sorts of crap continues to pour into the sea from the millions of people that live in LA
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:13 am

They just banned smoking outside on a 3 block pedestrian areawhere I live which is very popular with numerous bars and restaurants, smoking is also banned on many beaches. Only smoking occasionaly now I don't really care as I don't crave cigarettes as I used to when I was a full time smoker.
I have mixed emotions as the cigarette butts probably do cause some environmental fallout. What irritates me is the nosey bastards who take it upon themselves to enforce it, almost vigilante style......... Meanwhile all sorts of crap continues to pour into the sea from the millions of people that live in LA

It sounds like the general attitude towards smoking is getting even worse, thank God I don't smoke any more...
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:37 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

California = bowl of granola.

Full of flakes, nuts and fruits.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:41 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

The general attitude is that smoking is a disgusting addiction that parents in particular, dont want to see their children get hooked on. Children of parents who do smoke are extremely likely to take up the habit themselves. What parent would like to pass that particular habit onto their children?

If adults look at other adults in bewilderment when they see them smoking, it is because those adults are knowingly choosing to pollute their lungs with filthy smoke, give in to the addiction of nicotine and risk not only lung, stomach, mouth/throat cancers but are also are so selfish that they dont give a damn about the dangers to other peoples health that secondary smoking poses.

It is a difficult addiction to get over because it has only fairly recently been seen as an unacceptable addiction. Allan Carr's guide to stopping smoking has been very helpful to people who really want to stop as it teaches you to not want to smoke.

The cheaper a state makes it to smoke, the more in the pockets of tobacco producers they are. They certainly are not keeping the price low because they give a damn about your happiness and health.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Kate2112
The general attitude is that smoking is a disgusting addiction that parents in particular, dont want to see their children get hooked on. Children of parents who do smoke are extremely likely to take up the habit themselves. What parent would like to pass that particular habit onto their children?

If adults look at other adults in bewilderment when they see them smoking, it is because those adults are knowingly choosing to pollute their lungs with filthy smoke, give in to the addiction of nicotine and risk not only lung, stomach, mouth/throat cancers but are also are so selfish that they dont give a damn about the dangers to other peoples health that secondary smoking poses.

It is a difficult addiction to get over because it has only fairly recently been seen as an unacceptable addiction. Allan Carr's guide to stopping smoking has been very helpful to people who really want to stop as it teaches you to not want to smoke.

The cheaper a state makes it to smoke, the more in the pockets of tobacco producers they are. They certainly are not keeping the price low because they give a damn about your happiness and health.

In England smoking will be banned completely from public places next summer, I wonder if people's attitude towards smoking will start to resemble that of the Americans..
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I smoked for ten years...but only in my living room,by the window, with the window cracked....then would rush off to brush my teeth straightaway!....yes I know it was weird!...finally stopped when I came out of the coma and no one would hold a ciggie for me!.....but as soon as I could hold a ciggie for myself I mooched one off one of the other patients in the smoking room at the hospital...it was HORRIBLE!...but I forced myself to smoke it....I've never touched one since...can't even stand the smell of them...smoke free for nearly 19 years!.....bit of a drastic way to quit!..but it worked! ...Sophia
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kate2112

Good point, unfortunately smoking now appears to have been superseded by obesity in kids. Hard to decide which is worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.