Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Originally Posted by Danoz
It is quite interesting how English is spoken differently in different parts of the world. I grew up in Aus, and our language is a strong hybrid of American and English. We use many of the words that Americans use, but pronounce and spelling is a bit of both.

What is interesting though, is if you go back to my Grandparents era (so post WW1 and Pre WW2),they are very English in how they speak, use words etc... and comes from the Heavy UK influence that had dominated the country up to that point in time. If you then go the baby boomers of post WW2, it is very heavily influenced by America as a result of the US influence that dominated the country post WW2

Having now spent 9 years in the UK, and (as my friends in the UK put it) "learning to speak properly", it is going to be interesting how we adopt in the US to words. Having finally stopped saying Soccer and having football roll off the tongue, saying data rather than darta etc...

I have also found in the past when visiting the US, a lot of them have difficulty with the speed of which I talk and the twang... the twang i dont get, as they are rather twangy themselves!
Similar in Canada. If you listen to archived CBC Radio broadcasts from the 1940 to 1960 era, official or upper class Canadian speech often sounds almost indistinguishable from British.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Nope - the second language had to be Spanish.

Regards, JEff
I assume that the Spanish was a class for native speakers, A native speaker still needs help with use of the language just as native English speakers continue to study English. It would be a pity if the head start in knowledge of Spanish was lost. Continuing to study will make it in to a genuinely marketable skill. Where I work the level 4 classes are for native speakers.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 27th 2013 at 6:34 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:47 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, the Spanish was the required second language for all students, the large majority of them being native English speakers. No consideration given to whether or not a student already spoke two languages and English was the second one, or that Spanish might already be the first one.

Bureaucracy at work. As Freddy Prinze said, "This is America - speak Spanish."

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by kimilseung
I assume that the Spanish was a class for native speakers, A native speaker still needs help with use of the language just as native English speakers continue to study English.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

No, the Spanish was the required second language for all students, the large majority of them being native English speakers. No consideration given to whether or not a student already spoke two languages and English was the second one, or that Spanish might already be the first one.

Regards, JEff
Oh dear, I bet that was fun for your step child, counting to ten and all that.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, JEff
Spanish was the only foreign language taught at that school? That's rather unusual.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Spanish was the only foreign language taught at that school? That's rather unusual.
Not in the US it isn't. Spanish is now the default first language foreign taught in most US schools, in the same way that French is the dominant first foreign language taught in British schools. Many children in the US may never be taught any foreign language other than Spanish.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2013 at 10:01 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In that school district, at that grade level (if I recall correctly it was 5th), yes.

When I went to school, foreign language started in the 7th grade and we had a choice of French, German, Spanish, or Latin. There wasn't much of a hispanic presence in the northeast then, although a lot of Puerto Ricans in NYC. But Latin was a dead language already so I don't know why it was offered.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by HDWill
Old Nov 29th 2013, 5:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, anyway, having had dinner with a couple of English people the other evening, I was basically subjected to them correcting nearly everything I said because of my pronunciation, which for future reference is the easiest way to get on someone's nerves.

Canada uses the OED, so this argument they had that it was all Noah Webster's fault doesn't work with Canadians.

Also I'm beginning to see flaws in this British argument, for example "sandwich" which I'm sure originally was pronounced: "san-ditch" but British people "Americanized" that, perhaps it was an early example.

Also, "schedule", why is the British method the correct one, they don't pronounce "school" that way. Another one was "advertisement", I think the British method is probably the better one but I'm afraid I pronounce it the American/Canadian way.

Basically at one point it was the same language and it diverged, not just because of Noah Webster and neither method is the "correct" one.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 5:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Similar in Canada. If you listen to archived CBC Radio broadcasts from the 1940 to 1960 era, official or upper class Canadian speech often sounds almost indistinguishable from British.
I think "americanization" of language is a misnomer, because if you watch old American movies, their pronunciation was different.

I think it's more accurate to say this stupid fetish of teaching people that English is a phonetic language reached it's zenith in the US and then after all the Americans had been brainwashed it started to spread internationally.

Either that or it was some regional thing that started in the US and spread from there.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot remember the exact quote, but an American friend of mine once said that correctness is not necessarily defined by the original inventor, but by those who have perfected it, as once something is perfected it is usually the way something is done. As a result, there are a lot more people in America speaking English than there are in England, so American English must be the correct way.

At the time I said he was an idiot, but I learnt to Speak in Aus, and well... its possibly the worst out of all of them! so who am I to judge!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danoz
I cannot remember the exact quote, but an American friend of mine once said that correctness is not necessarily defined by the original inventor, but by those who have perfected it, as once something is perfected it is usually the way something is done. As a result, there are a lot more people in America speaking English than there are in England, so American English must be the correct way.

At the time I said he was an idiot, but I learnt to Speak in Aus, and well... its possibly the worst out of all of them! so who am I to judge!
That American friend is oversimplifying too. It's not like Americans developed and adapted the language while the British just stood still and spoke the original language. Naturally, British English is developing and changing just as much as American, so a good proportion of American English usage is the old way, which British usage has moved on from. Like Americans still say "herb" with a silent "h", which the British abandoned two hundred years ago. And Americans still say automobile, while the British have more or less left that antiquated word behind.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

. And Americans still say automobile, while the British have more or less left that antiquated word behind.
and British-isms also cross back to the USA. language in non 'dead' languages are highly dynamic
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by steveq
and British-isms also cross back to the USA. language in non 'dead' languages are highly dynamic
Exactly! I think that process, British usage changing American usage, seems to be more potent in this age of the Internet, YouTube, etc.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 12:51 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Steve_
Mmm, anyway, having had dinner with a couple of English people the other evening, I was basically subjected to them correcting nearly everything I said because of my pronunciation, which for future reference is the easiest way to get on someone's nerves.

Canada uses the OED, so this argument they had that it was all Noah Webster's fault doesn't work with Canadians.

Also I'm beginning to see flaws in this British argument, for example "sandwich" which I'm sure originally was pronounced: "san-ditch" but British people "Americanized" that, perhaps it was an early example.

Also, "schedule", why is the British method the correct one, they don't pronounce "school" that way. Another one was "advertisement", I think the British method is probably the better one but I'm afraid I pronounce it the American/Canadian way.

Basically at one point it was the same language and it diverged, not just because of Noah Webster and neither method is the "correct" one.
I know I have said schedule American style as long as I can remember, I also said advertisement American style until the later years of school, before some busy body know it all of a friend decided to correct me.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 12:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Exactly! I think that process, British usage changing American usage, seems to be more potent in this age of the Internet, YouTube, etc.
I have long suspected that the usage of English in the US and the UK reached its widest divergence early in the twentieth century, before the advent of the "talkie" films and later television. I think that timescale goes someway to explaining why many car-related words are different, because that was exactly the time that cars appeared and became relatively widespread.

Obviously the impact of mass media has grown steadily ever since with the rise of television and popular music in the 60's and cable television in the 80's and then the internet in the late 90's and into the 21st century, and everything I see suggests progressive convergence of the two largest divisions of English language usage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.