Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slowly assimilating.

Slowly assimilating.

Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

eighthoursbehind will become famous soon enougheighthoursbehind will become famous soon enough
Default Slowly assimilating.

To what degree are you sliding into our host’s culture? And I use that term loosely During my first year here, I swore blind that I would not change any English pronunciations, assuming that it would sound odd to talk with an accent for 95% of the time, while throwing in the American pronunciations for just certain words. Within the first year, I almost unconsciously swapped often used words; pavement for sidewalk, and petrol for gas etc, just to minimize the blank looks and necessary explanations that would pepper conversations. A defining moment was telling a customer who had recently pulled into the car park and had forgotten to seal that rear of her car, that her boot was open and I could see her luggage. Her look of confusion as she stared down at her open toes sandals, possibly assuming that I had a foot fetish took some explaining away. Now, 5 years later I find that saying tomato, yogurt and water with an English accent almost sounds contrived - although I cannot bring myself to use the American versions of banana or vase yet. I do not ever believe that I can ever bring myself to mention fanny-pack with a straight face.
On my return, for the first time, to the UK this year, I wonder just how American I will sound to my friends and family.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowly assimilating.

Originally Posted by eighthoursbehind
I cannot bring myself to use the American versions of banana or vase yet.
There's an American version of banana???

(and I think that you will find that the pronunciation of "vase" has a lot of regional variations in the UK so I don't think that is just a UK/US difference ...)
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

eighthoursbehind will become famous soon enougheighthoursbehind will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by md95065
There's an American version of banana???
Mhmm - it is all in the a. Ba-nar-nah as in narwhal. Ba-nah-nah as in Narnia
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Mhmm - it is all in the a. Ba-nar-nah as in narwhal. Ba-nah-nah as in Narnia
I would say the American one is more like the 'a' in Nanna.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I would say the American one is more like the 'a' in Nanna.
Oh, I see what I did there.. both of those are the English pronunciation..
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I see what I did there.. both of those are the English pronunciation..
hmm, I would say bah-nan-na
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

By the time you lot have finished I will not know what to say next time I want to buy some.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
By the time you lot have finished I will not know what to say next time I want to buy some.
Just ask for some 'nanas
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
hmm, I would say bah-nan-na
Orange you glad etc.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say bath, laugh and banana like you do - I guess someone from London or the south east has a more of an 'alien' way of pronouncing stuff to American ears than someone from up north who would pronounce it the same way they do.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Orange you glad etc.
Lettuce leaf this subject in peas.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
I would say bath, laugh and banana like you do - I guess someone from London or the south east has a more of an 'alien' way of pronouncing stuff to American ears than someone from up north who would pronounce it the same way they do.
Then again around here they say 'tarcos' for the Mexican dish.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Then again around here they say 'tarcos' for the Mexican dish.
Every time you see some sort of pattern in pronunciation, words and spelling you end up with exceptions. One of the most interesting is that we always complain that Americans put "ize" at the end of loads of words. Hospitalize, burglarize and so on. However an American would never say "pressurized" like we would do (in the context of a person putting pressure on another person) they would use the word "pressured" only - likewise "acclimatize" is purely British-English (Americans use "acclimate" instead)!

Last edited by MattySD; Jan 14th 2012 at 1:05 am.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MattySD
Every time you see some sort of pattern in pronunciation, words and spelling you end up with exceptions. One of the most interesting is that we always complain that Americans put "ize" at the end of loads of words. Hospitalize, burglarize and so on. However an American would never say "pressurized" like we would do - they would use the word "pressured" only - likewise "acclimatize" is purely British-English (Americans use "acclimate" instead)!
Yes I get confused now with words like that.

Some words are just subtly different, like 'specialty' and 'envision'.

I will say 'trash' but I still put the bins out on dustbin day
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I like to say "chuck it in the bin" unrepentantly rather than "throw it in the trash"! However, I know that I have become an American when I watch "Man vs. Wild" and I hear Bear Grylls say "Disorientated" and it grates on me - I almost always will say "disoriented" these days.

I added "in the context of a person putting pressure on another person" to my previous post as of course an American would use the word pressurized in the context of gas etc.. although they are more likely use the word "compressed" instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.