Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slow Boat Shipping

Slow Boat Shipping

Old Jul 30th 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Slow Boat Shipping

I need to ship 15-20 boxes of personal items from Herefordshire to Texas, preferably on a slow boat while I finish some home renovation. The longer it takes the better, as long as they eventually arrive. Anyone have any recommendations about which shipper to use or not to use? Sorry if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 1:16 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

most of the shipping companies wiull hold onto your belongings in storage. you give them a date you want your stuff to be picked up, and when you want it to arrive, and they do the rest.
unforutunately i cant recall who i used now, but do a search on threads in the usa marriage based visas forum and im sure a few will appear
Old Jul 30th 2004, 1:28 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I used Simpsons, who told me I would have my stuff in the US within 6 weeks. It was actually 12 weeks, but at least it arrived safely and in one piece, no boxes had gone astray and nothing was broken. Simpsons said it was not their fault (well, they would, wouldn't they!!) - it was a hold up in customs at this end. But I feel lucky, other people have had their whole shipment go astray. Sibsie probably won't mind you reading her thread about this:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=236832

Good luck in choosing!

Debbie
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slow Boat Shipping

Originally posted by Britdrinker
I need to ship 15-20 boxes of personal items from Herefordshire to Texas, preferably on a slow boat while I finish some home renovation. The longer it takes the better, as long as they eventually arrive. Anyone have any recommendations about which shipper to use or not to use? Sorry if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere.
Use Simpsons. We shipped 30 boxes from North Yorkshire to Oregon. Started in January and with much argument - from me - we finally got them the end of May. Which in retrospect wasn't too bad because we didn't need them till then. On a bright note, everything was there and nothing was broke.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Good advice

Thanks for the advice, folks. I certainly got some good tips about identifying and checking out the various shipping companies involved, verifying insurance, getting the shipping documents, etc. Sibsie's thread made me think twice about the whole idea - seems like she has had an unusually rough time of it!

In my case, having been shuffled around the globe as a child by my expat parents, I had already taken the precaution of bringing all my personal items over as hand luggage (over the course of a few years) so all that is left are books and clothes of no great sentimental value.