Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

slip and fall dilema

slip and fall dilema

Old May 17th 2006, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold
Default slip and fall dilema

I was having a business meeting in a chain restaurant in Tampa, Florida. I was in a booth and got up to go to the restroom. On stepping out of the booth my foot slipped from under me and I broke two bones in my wrist from the fall. The floor was waxy and very slippy. Two members of staff agreed that the floor was slippy. Our business guest saw it all and is happy to be a witness. The restaurant called paramedics and they sent me straight to hospital

I was advised to wait for an offer by an independent insurance person I know.. The insurance people said in an email that they would cover all medical bills and would investigate. An independent assessor has interviewed me, our business guest and the staff at the restaurant, but we have seen no report. We are now in week three.

I am in US on E2. I can't drive or use the computer (this is being typed for me) and have lost business through the incident.

Question is should I wait for an offer or should I see a “no win no fee” lawyer to seek advice. Once I see a lawyer the insurance company will no longer deal with me. Offers through the insurance tend to be less than $100K but, I assume, will be settled more quickly. The lawyer route would slow things down but would it be worth it. Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

redlobster
Old May 17th 2006, 11:51 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: slip and fall dilema

Originally Posted by redlobster
I was having a business meeting in a chain restaurant in Tampa, Florida.
It wasn't at a Red Lobster, was it?

~ Jenney
Old May 18th 2006, 12:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
It wasn't at a Red Lobster, was it?

~ Jenney
Yikes, I would hope not. Won't want to do business with a person whose idea of a business lunch is Red Lobster.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:30 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Yikes, I would hope not. Won't want to do business with a person whose idea of a business lunch is Red Lobster.

This if FL. Red Lobster is considered a first class restaurant around these here parts

An no win attorney would get you more, I'm sure, but he'd also take 60% off the top before you see anything.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
This if FL. Red Lobster is considered a first class restaurant around these here parts

An no win attorney would get you more, I'm sure, but he'd also take 60% off the top before you see anything.
I thought the fee was 30%.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:40 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Clumsey of you Bernadette
Old May 18th 2006, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

No it wasent the Redlobster..lol

Redlobster
Old May 18th 2006, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Question is should I wait for an offer or should I see a “no win no fee” lawyer to seek advice. Once I see a lawyer the insurance company will no longer deal with me. Offers through the insurance tend to be less than $100K but, I assume, will be settled more quickly. The lawyer route would slow things down but would it be worth it. Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

redlobster
Are you having a laugh?
You're considering a no win no fee lawyer because the insurance max payout is only $100K?
FFS you broke two bones in your wrist, you're not paralysed and if the floor was waxy as you got up, stands to reason that it was waxy when you first sat down, therefore you should've been more careful. So in essence, you're a clutz and you want paying for it.
No wonder insurance premiums are astronomical here. Tell them you'll take $10k and think your self lucky and stop being so f**king greedy.
Old May 18th 2006, 2:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Are you having a laugh?
You're considering a no win no fee lawyer because the insurance max payout is only $100K?
FFS you broke two bones in your wrist, you're not paralysed and if the floor was waxy as you got up, stands to reason that it was waxy when you first sat down, therefore you should've been more careful. So in essence, you're a clutz and you want paying for it.
No wonder insurance premiums are astronomical here. Tell them you'll take $10k and think your self lucky and stop being so f**king greedy.

Well said Rushy. That deserves karma, but I've gotta do some spreading first.
Old May 18th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well said Rushy. That deserves karma, but I've gotta do some spreading first.
Ditto.
Frank R.
Old May 18th 2006, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I got up from the dinner table and stubbed my toe on the leg of my wifes chair tonight....Anyone got the name of a good lawyer I'm gonna sue her ass off I think.
Old May 18th 2006, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I got up from the dinner table and stubbed my toe on the leg of my wifes chair tonight....Anyone got the name of a good lawyer I'm gonna sue her ass off I think.
Redlobster is your connection. They have Legal representation.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 18th 2006, 4:47 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being crucified for answering the OP, I'll do it anyway. (Bear in mind, I'm not a lawyer, so take this for what it's worth.)

Preface: If you expect to turn into the next great lottery ticket, I would give up that notion rather quickly. Insurance companies have largely abandoned the practice of paying out big settlements without a fight, so as to deter frivilous cases. Much of what you hear about on TV is media hype (i.e. the much-misunderstood McDonald's coffee case), and most settlements are very modest.

As a result of the above, "pain and suffering" is very difficult to collect. Unless you've been severely maimed, you are unlikely to get anything under such a provision. So I wouldn't be selecting the color of your next Bentley just yet.

Since there is no apparent dispute over liability (the restaurant appears from what you've said to be 100% liable -- with a wet floor and without warning signs posted, that seems likely), what you can expect to get are actual damages, i.e. quantifiable economic losses:

- The medical component should be relatively easy to prove and collect if the medical charges are legitimate, particularly given that there is 0% liability on your part, i.e. no contributory negligence.

- You should be eligible for compensation for the loss of your time, such as losses related to your business, if you can reasonably quantify them. However, as you ratchet up the stakes, so will the insurance company.

The problem for plaintiffs in your situation is that it is difficult to get an attorney, because your case is likely worth so little that it isn't worth taking on contingency. A typical case would cost about one-third of the award/ settlement, plus actual costs (the latter of which can be controllable but significant). Which leads to this: If your damages are substantial (i.e. you have lost substantial income and/or incurred additional significant costs because of your downtime), then you might want a lawyer. If you have only medical bills and a modest bit of inconvenience, then you are unlikely to find a lawyer at all because your case is worth so little to the attorney, which leaves you to your own devices.

Accordingly, I would honestly assess your losses, and act accordingly. The insurance company understands this attorney/ contingency issue and how it impacts your ability to litigate, so act and negotiate accordingly.

If your economic damages are minimal, but the settlement offer is still inadequate, one option is to go to small claims court in your state. Case limits vary by state, but you don't need an attorney (actually, you aren't permitted to have one), and the cases get to trail very quickly.
Old May 18th 2006, 5:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
...Since there is no apparent dispute over liability (the restaurant appears from what you've said to be 100% liable -- with a wet floor and without warning signs posted, that seems likely), ...
No, no, no.... If you read rl's post, the blame lies with total clarity at the foot of the foot:
...On stepping out of the booth my foot slipped from under me and ...
Old May 18th 2006, 6:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
At the risk of being crucified for answering the OP, I'll do it anyway. (Bear in mind, I'm not a lawyer, so take this for what it's worth.)

Preface: If you expect to turn into the next great lottery ticket, I would give up that notion rather quickly. Insurance companies have largely abandoned the practice of paying out big settlements without a fight, so as to deter frivilous cases. Much of what you hear about on TV is media hype (i.e. the much-misunderstood McDonald's coffee case), and most settlements are very modest.

As a result of the above, "pain and suffering" is very difficult to collect. Unless you've been severely maimed, you are unlikely to get anything under such a provision. So I wouldn't be selecting the color of your next Bentley just yet.

Since there is no apparent dispute over liability (the restaurant appears from what you've said to be 100% liable -- with a wet floor and without warning signs posted, that seems likely), what you can expect to get are actual damages, i.e. quantifiable economic losses:

- The medical component should be relatively easy to prove and collect if the medical charges are legitimate, particularly given that there is 0% liability on your part, i.e. no contributory negligence.

- You should be eligible for compensation for the loss of your time, such as losses related to your business, if you can reasonably quantify them. However, as you ratchet up the stakes, so will the insurance company.

The problem for plaintiffs in your situation is that it is difficult to get an attorney, because your case is likely worth so little that it isn't worth taking on contingency. A typical case would cost about one-third of the award/ settlement, plus actual costs (the latter of which can be controllable but significant). Which leads to this: If your damages are substantial (i.e. you have lost substantial income and/or incurred additional significant costs because of your downtime), then you might want a lawyer. If you have only medical bills and a modest bit of inconvenience, then you are unlikely to find a lawyer at all because your case is worth so little to the attorney, which leaves you to your own devices.

Accordingly, I would honestly assess your losses, and act accordingly. The insurance company understands this attorney/ contingency issue and how it impacts your ability to litigate, so act and negotiate accordingly.

If your economic damages are minimal, but the settlement offer is still inadequate, one option is to go to small claims court in your state. Case limits vary by state, but you don't need an attorney (actually, you aren't permitted to have one), and the cases get to trail very quickly.

That covers most of my comment, but better put.

http://www.forthepeople.com/

Supposed to be one of the nore effective Rottweilers. And you might find the site informative.

If you have a Permanent Disability, the situation is some what different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.