British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Skool Daze (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/skool-daze-238143/)

rincewind Jun 23rd 2004 10:30 pm

Skool Daze

Skool Daze, a great Spectrum computer game when I was a kid. Anyway, this has nothing to do with that :D

My wife has been going around the local schools to register her eldest for kindergarten. For those that have read my posts before, you’ll know I’m an atheist, but I couldn’t help wanting to visit the local religious schools just to see how extreme religious education is here.

One school we went to was like walking onto the set of Deliverance minus the banjos.

Anyways, they gave my wife a form to sign if the child was going to attend. We weren’t going to send them here anyway, but if we had of thought about it, the form we were given would have put us off. The title alone says it all. I have removed the name of the school to prevent the Inquisition visiting us with the “comfy chair.� Read on.

Corporal Correction Release Form

Dear Parent,

------ ------ ------ Academy is honored that you have asked our staff to assist you in training your child for Christian leadership. Our total program is designed to develop the spiritual and academic qualities that characterize your child. We appreciate your confidence in our program. To carry out your wishes for total character development, we believe it is necessary to follow Spiritual admonation to correct a child when his behavior is in violation of proper reasonable rules and procedures. When warranted, corporal correction will be exercised under the following guidelines.

1) The offence will be clearly discussed with your child.

2) A staff member will discuss spiritual applications and will pray with your child.

3) A reasonable number of firm strokes, not to exceed five, will be administered by a staff member of the same sex as your child, using a simple, flat paddle.

4) A staff witness of the same sex as your child will be present.

5) Your child will not be physically restrained. (If he or she refuses to submit to paddling, you will be asked to come discuss the matter, and if it is believes to be in the best interest of the school, the child will be withdrawn from the church-school.)

6) After administering of the strokes, a staff member will pray with your child, assuring him of her of their love.

7) A written report will be made of the date, offence, number of strokes, and name of correcting staff member and witness. A copy of the report will be sent home to you.
This is how it appears, word for word. Any typos you see are those on the original form. My wife both looked at each other after reading this and meeting the Addams Family and said, “Screw that!�

suzieque Jun 23rd 2004 10:45 pm

OMG bit over the top isn't it!!!!!
Glad you opted out, I am not an atheist but no way would I send my daughter there, beating her then praying to show you love her..............:scared: !!!!!
Sue

BritGuyTN Jun 23rd 2004 11:16 pm

OMG

'a staff member will pray with your child, assuring him of her of their love' :scared:

no way jose

i'm not a million miles away from you so i'll be checking those types of forms when the time comes

'If he or she refuses to submit to paddling' - i mean why would you?

Lion in Winter Jun 23rd 2004 11:35 pm

And to think that we are allegedly in the 21st century.................

antjen Jun 24th 2004 12:02 am

ouch

the place sounds like brainwashing!! - sounds like they like there 'paddling' too much!!

Ant

rincewind Jun 24th 2004 12:26 am

I pulled the other forms out of the trash and read them for a giggle (the meeting alone was off putting so why read the crap).

Here is a quote from the application form:

"I appreciate the standards of the school and do not tolerate profanity, obscenity in word or action, dishonor to the Godhead and the Word of God, or disrespect to the personnel of the school."
My belief on religion in schools is that it shouldn't be there. Period. If your family is a religious one, then leave it to the family to teach it. But, if you don't mind some paedophile preacher paddling your kid in the name of god, then by all means, destroy any chance they have of a freethinking life by sending them to schools like this.

As a parent, I find this stuff horrible. I'm glad my daughter is safe and sound in the UK.

Glad you opted out, I am not an atheist but no way would I send my daughter there, beating
I'm glad there still some religious people out there that see this as unacceptable. Most, if not all of them, are expats :D

Ash UK/US Jun 24th 2004 3:18 am

3) A reasonable number of firm strokes, not to exceed five, will be administered by a staff member of the same sex as your child, using a simple, flat paddle.
Like hell :eek:
There is no way on earth would I give my permission for someone to do this to my child. I am not against physical punishment but I believe that is the parents place... and it should be a quick slap on the behind with a HAND.

Ash :)

sanj2010 Jun 24th 2004 10:06 am

OMG

Skool Daze, I remember that game!!

I feel so old.

FlyergirlUK Jun 24th 2004 1:18 pm

Originally posted by sanj2010
OMG

Skool Daze, I remember that game!!

I feel so old.
LOL Me too!! I loved it!!! How sad! :D

yorkshirelass Jun 24th 2004 2:04 pm

And these schools actually have pupils there?

rincewind Jun 24th 2004 4:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
LOL Me too!! I loved it!!! How sad! :D
:D :D

Duncs Jun 24th 2004 4:18 pm

If thats how schools behave it explains a lot about local culture round here. Do they have special uniforms made from only one kind of cloth to keep with Leviticus 19:19.

God its barbaric. In europe you would be breaching the European Convention on Human Rights with that behaviour. The USA supposedly values individual freedoms but has this in the schools? The longer I am living here, the more the word theocracy seems appropriate.

TexasPenguin Jun 24th 2004 4:26 pm

Re: Skool Daze

Ermmm....
Isn't that document just an over the top American style too many words etc. waiver for us as parents to allow a "slap 'side the ear" when the kid skips school, runs in the corridor, makes innapropriate comments etc. etc. etc.

Anything wrong with that?

Got exactly the same treatment when I was at school - before the UK got all 'enlightened' and preferred to let kids 'express' themselves by disrupting class for everyone else in the UK.

Sorry guys, can't see the problem - 'barbaric', I think not!!!

(And yes, I DO have kids in school in Texas!).

Andy.

kellwie Jun 24th 2004 4:33 pm

Please, everyone keep in mind that these are private, religious schools we are talking about, not state/public schools!

Ray Jun 24th 2004 4:49 pm

Originally posted by AndySmithers
Ermmm....
Isn't that document just an over the top American style too many words etc. waiver for us as parents to allow a "slap 'side the ear" when the kid skips school, runs in the corridor, makes innapropriate comments etc. etc. etc.
Anything wrong with that?
Got exactly the same treatment when I was at school - before the UK got all 'enlightened' and preferred to let kids 'express' themselves by disrupting class for everyone else in the UK.
Sorry guys, can't see the problem - 'barbaric', I think not!!!
(And yes, I DO have kids in school in Texas!).
Andy.
Have to go along with you their Andy...take out the religious crap and it sounds just like my old school...Got caned/slippered fairly regularly and my mum supported the school no end ...As an oldie it just seems we had more respect for everything and everybody
perhaps instilled by that punishment..