Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Single Mother of 2

Single Mother of 2

Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Hayle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Mother of 2

Hi, I am a US citizen wanting to return to New York with my 2 children aged 8 and 1. I would like to return to school but am not sure what hell is available while I establish myself and settle in.
I have family that I can stay with until I find somewhere to live, but nobody can help me with childcare because they all work full time.
Does anyone have any information on help for people with a low income, or full time students with children?
In the UK there are tax credits, child benefit, housing benefit. Does New York have anything similar?
I don’t plan on needing help forever but will need it to start off with.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Mother of 2

Originally Posted by Hayle
Hi, I am a US citizen wanting to return to New York with my 2 children aged 8 and 1. I would like to return to school but am not sure what hell is available while I establish myself and settle in.
I have family that I can stay with until I find somewhere to live, but nobody can help me with childcare because they all work full time.
Does anyone have any information on help for people with a low income, or full time students with children?
In the UK there are tax credits, child benefit, housing benefit. Does New York have anything similar?
I don’t plan on needing help forever but will need it to start off with.
You say you are wanting to return to New York so I am assuming you have lived there before but are unfamiliar with the New York State benefits (which are few and far between) for its residents, be they single, married, childless or with children. You might want to look into the New York State government website for information. I did the two second google search for you: https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/br...tate/state/173

As a resident of NYS for 68 years, I can tell you that benefits are quite unlike what you are use to in the UK. There are earned income credits available for those with children earning a low amount of money and can be claimed when you file your federal income taxes in 2019 for 2018.

There are low income housing (Section 8 housing) available but in areas that you might not want to bring your children to, especially in terms of what school district you will be in. There is no such animal as a child benefit in the US. There is welfare and you will most likely qualify for cost free medical under the New York State health plan for children if you are working part time or in a low paying job. I'm not talking about Medicaid but a healthcare plan. Although if you qualify for welfare, Medicaid will also be given to you, as well as low cost or free daycare services.

Why you would even entertain the thought of coming to the US when so much is available to you in the UK is beyond comprehension. It is not easy being a single mother ... been there and done that but to be one in a country without a security net is foolish if you do have one where you currently live.

Perhaps you are unable to stay legally in the UK and that is the reason you wish to return. I don't know. But one thing that you have not mentioned is whether you were able to pass US Citizenship to your children and if you have permission from their father to remove them the UK.

Have you figured out how you are going to pay for schooling for yourself? Not ever school gives away grants for studying and even community colleges will cost you thousands per semester.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 14th 2018 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Hayle is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother is from the UK and brought me back to the UK with her when her and my father divorced. I have spent a lot of time with my family in New York and really want to make the move.
I’m not looking to rely on benefits permanently, just initially. My family have a coffee and donut shop that I could work in part time but am really wanting to study to be a nurse. I worked full time over here until I had my 1 year old and have since gone part time. I have a house that is in both of my parents names that I can live in, which is in the same town as my family.
I have looked into citizenship for my children and both are eligible, their father is relocating to Germany so there shouldn’t be a problem with me moving also.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said you will have to apply for whatever is available when you arrive in the US.

The majority of people who go to 'school' get loans, unless they are lucky or talented enough to obtain scholarships.

Medical coverage is going to be an important element to consider, although if you are low paid then you might qualify for Medicaid - probably will.

You mention you have family who have a business - you should be looking to them to help you out. . You also have accommodation from your family so that is a major help.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are living with family and as all this is very location dependent would they not be in a position to advise you?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you make it there, train to be a nurse and graduate, look at your earning potential. A single nurse's wage, two small children and the high cost of living in NY is not going to leave you with much at the end of every month :/.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is the plight of hundreds of thousands of single mothers. We don't know where she will be living. Perhaps on her own, or in an apartment rented in a relatives two/three family home. We also don't know that she will continue to live in the New York City area or perhaps she will venture out to other areas in New York. She didn't say she was going to be living in New York City. A nurse's wage is not the equivalent of a salary earned in IT but it is a decent livable wage. There is no reason why she won't make it here, as she and the children are US Citizens so there is nothing to prevent them from moving to the US. She is young and although hampered by having small children, she might find the wonderful person of her dreams to marry and have a two person income household in the future. Living hand to mouth in the US and the UK are not equal. Doing so in the UK is far easier I gleam from the British posters here. But until she has a decent job she will have some benefits to fall back on in the US, particularly in New York State. Medical is one thing she doesn't have to worry about what with CHIP for the kids and / or Medicaid for the entire family. There will probably be access to food stamps, lowered child care costs (not the prime places most people who earn 100K and over will use) but it is adequate.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 18th 2018 at 2:29 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
That is the plight of hundreds of thousands of single mothers. We don't know where she will be living. Perhaps on her own, or in an apartment rented in a relatives two/three family home. We also don't know that she will continue to live in the New York City area or perhaps she will venture out to other areas in New York. She didn't say she was going to be living in New York City. A nurse's wage is not the equivalent of a salary earned in IT but it is a decent wage livable wage. There is no reason why she won't make it here, as she and the children are US Citizens so there is nothing to prevent them from moving to the US. She is young and although hampered by having small children, she might find the wonderful person of her dreams to marry and have a two person income household in the future. Living hand to mouth in the US and the UK are not equal. Doing so in the UK is far easier I gleam from the British posters here. But until she has a decent job she will have some benefits to fall back on in the US, particularly in New York State. Medical is one thing she doesn't have to worry about what with CHIP for the kids and / or Medicaid for the entire family. There will probably be access to food stamps, lowered child care costs (not the prime places most people who earn 100K and over will use) but it is adequate.
Well the one thing that comes to mind is that as a Nurse you can make a lot more than in the UK, but the comparison is difficult and depends on individual circumstances.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 1:13 pm
Concierge

A lot depends on what type / level of nursing she ultimately reaches for. An RN is far better than an LP in terms of salary. Then there is where you are employed and in what section of the hospital if you go to a hospital for employment. Relatives and friends who are RN's in ICU or CCU earn far more than those RN's who work in the general wards of the hospital. But then it means additional education and experience to work those sections. It is a tough field to go into.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 6:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I know here in Denver there is affordable housing for professions like teaching and nursing which (crazily) don't pay as well, but these are people you want to have in your community. At least there is in Denver.
Not sure if it's a state government thing or a quasi-state charity. Where I used to live, a teacher bought a property for $100,000 through this program, and then flipped it for 400.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I know here in Denver there is affordable housing for professions like teaching and nursing which (crazily) don't pay as well, but these are people you want to have in your community. At least there is in Denver.
Not sure if it's a state government thing or a quasi-state charity. Where I used to live, a teacher bought a property for $100,000 through this program, and then flipped it for 400.
Somewhat belatedly they are catching up on those, assume you mean 400k, could be painful
Old Jun 24th 2018, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Another consideration as a single parent is the lack of vacation time in the U.S. as opposed to the holiday entitlement in the U.K. Being a single parent without having your co-parent in the same area is a very tough road to travel and when your kids are sick, have hospital appointments it will all fall to you to take time off to take care of them. For my own experience working in the U.S. as a single mother, I found my meagre 2 weeks a year (1 week vacation and 1 week sick) didn't go very far when my daughter had health issues and left me with no time at all to spend with my kids let alone come back to the UK to see family. Think very carefully and look at the support network you currently have and would you have help especially trying to take care of your youngest child whilst being a nurse working shift work?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think basically everyone here would agree that being on assistance in the UK is much better than being on assistance in the USA. There is more available, including the NHS, and the procedure for getting it is probably quite a bit more straightforward than the USA where you'll be negotiating a sea of various agencies, federal, state, city and private. You can start at a site like this (for NYC) https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/s...nce-or-welfare

Is there any way that you could possibly work another year in the UK and build up some financial reserves to make the transition a bit easier when you do come back to the USA? I'm in the middle of an international move right now and it's just a sea of added expenses and new purchases. Having a bit of a cushion might really help.

Good luck.