Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sim card for a Blackberry 9800

Sim card for a Blackberry 9800

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sim card for a Blackberry 9800

I've read the thread about the iPhone but its obviously quite different for a BB. Is is possible to get a pay as you go sim card that I put credit on as and when it runs out?
I'm out of work at the moment so not in a position to sign up to a 2year 50$ contract or something like that but could do with something where I could just put 10$ every so often on it.

Any suggestions are welcome
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sim card for a Blackberry 9800

I have an AT&T 9800 "Torch" which I have unlocked. I took it Costa Rica last Summer and purchases a SIM at the airport from the local government monopoly "ICE." The SIM worked just fine for telephone and texting only. I had no data. The thing that was really annoying was that I could not even use it when wi-fi was available.

I have no idea if you can get a full-service PAY-G sim for data and blackberry services.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Full Blackberry services would be $60 even on T-mo prepaid.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Just as a phone, any of the others should work.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Out in your neck of the woods, the best PAYG is tracfone, but you'd not be able to get a sim working on the phone.

Other option would be US Cellular, but I don't know about PAYG, but they seem to have ok monthly rates, but you won't find anything for $10 a month, the closest is tracfone with a minimum of $20 for 90 days of service.

The T-mobile and other GSM based PAYG cards with data tend to run $30-50 a month.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:09 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

May not be so different... still dealing with the same carriers, and may well not get 3G on T-Mobile.