Reload this Page >

Silicon Valley Schools and Special Needs

Silicon Valley Schools and Special Needs

Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Jenzen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Silicon Valley Schools and Special Needs

Hi

Firstly sorry if this subject has been addressed before, I didnt see anything obvious from a search.

As I have posted previously, my family might be moving to the states soon with my husband's work (most likely on a L1 visa). Originally it looked like it would be MA for the transfer (still might be for a short period) but now its looking more like Silicon Valley.

I have spent so much time researching budgets, housing etc, and I know the public school system in SV (likely Sunnyvale, Mountain View or Cupertino) is very good albeit super competitive. One thing I do not know is how they are with special needs. My 3 year old we think may be high functioning Autistic or somewhere on the high end of the autistic spectrum. It is likely that he would not be formally diagnosed until he started school (long story on that one but hopefully others who are familiar with HFA will know how hard it is to diagnose pre school age). He currently needs no extra support and attends a main stream playschool.

My question is this, would he be better off in schools here in the UK (Im in central Scotland) or in the states. Our local schools here are good but... I get the impression autism is a more common diagnosis in the states or better known about (if that makes sense).

This is my biggest concern about moving, visa is sorted, we are financially stable, good health, HI would be covered by my husband's work etc. Its the school thing that Im all stressed about.

Apologies if Im waffling but my mind is sort of reeling by information overload at the moment, so looking for those blunt opinions I found common and useful on BE

Jen
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silicon Valley Schools and Special Needs

Honestly, it's going to come down to what city, school district and possibly even what street you live on (as that will determine the school you attend, generally).

Have you looked at some of the resources for Silicon Valley moms? I think there is a mailing list / forum where you can connect with other parents in the Valley and ask about specific schools.

http://www.svmoms.com/special-needs/
http://siliconvalleyparents.com/

You could also ask on city-data, which is the relocation website for all folks.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/

There are also some meetup groups for special needs parents in that area:

http://special-needs-children.meetup...s/ca/saratoga/
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Very helpful links specially the SV moms one thank you!

Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenzen
Hi

Firstly sorry if this subject has been addressed before, I didnt see anything obvious from a search.

As I have posted previously, my family might be moving to the states soon with my husband's work (most likely on a L1 visa). Originally it looked like it would be MA for the transfer (still might be for a short period) but now its looking more like Silicon Valley.

I have spent so much time researching budgets, housing etc, and I know the public school system in SV (likely Sunnyvale, Mountain View or Cupertino) is very good albeit super competitive. One thing I do not know is how they are with special needs. My 3 year old we think may be high functioning Autistic or somewhere on the high end of the autistic spectrum. It is likely that he would not be formally diagnosed until he started school (long story on that one but hopefully others who are familiar with HFA will know how hard it is to diagnose pre school age). He currently needs no extra support and attends a main stream playschool.

My question is this, would he be better off in schools here in the UK (Im in central Scotland) or in the states. Our local schools here are good but... I get the impression autism is a more common diagnosis in the states or better known about (if that makes sense).

This is my biggest concern about moving, visa is sorted, we are financially stable, good health, HI would be covered by my husband's work etc. Its the school thing that Im all stressed about.

Apologies if Im waffling but my mind is sort of reeling by information overload at the moment, so looking for those blunt opinions I found common and useful on BE

Jen
Hey Jen, I live in Mountain View and have a 9 year old daughter in public school here. The schools around here do get very good results, not all the areas are super competitive though, Cupertino school district and Saratoga have a very high asian population that are pushed extremely hard. I know a couple of people who's kids have struggled in these areas.

I have a friend whose son is in the same school as my daughter and he has some learning difficulties, the school seems to be working with them to address this however it's still early days as he is in 1st grade. So can't say if the system is good or bad. I also have an English friend whose teenage son has problems and is in a special school, they have lived in 2 different parts of California and she said in both areas the school system for him was wonderful and much better than what they had in the UK.

I can't offer much more on the school info for your son, but if you have any questions on SV let me know and i'll try help out.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If he's still only three, then he'd get tested under the Early childhood development and Health.
We have had babies and toddlers tested with our local regional center when we did foster care.
They have preschool services and also special needs preschool available. and for babies they do home visits and physical/occuational therapy.
This site may be of some help too, if not, they will usually point you in the right direction. Kindergarten doesn't start till they are 5 going on 6. My youngest was 5.5 starting and has just completed her school year. now she's 6 and will go into 1st grade next month.
This one may well be closer to where you will be
http://www.fcservices.org/about/about_us.html

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jun 26th 2011 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about CA, but you really do need to figure out where exactly you'd likely end up living within which city to get any idea.

One area might be great, the next street in another district might be shit.

Doesn't help you much when generally looking I know, but city-data mentioned above is a good place because you'd want to factor everything in as well as the schools into your decision as there might be some compromises, length of commute, cost of housing etc.

Early childhood development in MA is very, very good though in Boston and many of the suburbs and they're very quick to get kids into programs at no cost as soon as possible according to a few friends who have been in need. No idea if you need to be greencard holders or not to be eligible for the free extras, but I think you just need to be resident of the state.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
No idea about CA, but you really do need to figure out where exactly you'd likely end up living within which city to get any idea.

One area might be great, the next street in another district might be shit.
I know its hard when we would be renting for a while anyway and looking at this stuff from far away and only hypothetically (for now) is giving me such a headache!

Thank you for all the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Jen