British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   <<<sigh>>> washing-machine recommendations - please!!... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sigh-washing-machine-recommendations-please-423333/)

TouristTrap Feb 3rd 2007 7:51 pm

Re: <<<sigh>>> washing-machine recommendations - please!!...

Can you find an old fashioned mangler?

snowbunny Feb 3rd 2007 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4359468)
Can you find an old fashioned mangler?

I know I can, I've seen them in "antiques" stores. :p

ironporer Feb 3rd 2007 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4359463)
I didn't say I *wanted* to buy another one.... but eventually I will *have* to, unless you are willing to do our laundry in the backyard with boiling water carried from the stove. :rofl:

I don't know- my parents bought a set of Maytags when I was 10 (~1970) or so, used them so long you could no longer read the dials (had to keep marking them with magic marker to know where to set them) washing and drying for 4 kids, finally gave them to my younger brother 5 or 10 years ago...who still uses them to this day.

The freezer they bought about the same time (Admiral as I recall) is still in their garage, though Mom covered it with contact paper as it was showing a rust spot or two.

NC Penguin Feb 3rd 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4357590)
Why outside?

Do you know what temp. it heats the water to on the hottest wash?

The water supply comes from outside the house so the external temperature can be too cold for even a cold wash (I've described this before on similar threads).

According to the manual, the hot setting is between 49C-60C (which is achievable even in the winter by putting on the water heater setting too, otherwise the water is unlikely to reach the desired temperature).

NC Penguin

Jerseygirl Feb 3rd 2007 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4359560)
The water supply comes from outside the house so the external temperature can be too cold for even a cold wash (I've described this before on similar threads).

According to the manual, the hot setting is between 49C-60C (which is achievable even in the winter by putting on the water heater setting too, otherwise the water is unlikely to reach the desired temperature).

NC Penguin

Ah ha....I see. If the water supply was like that here we'd have no water for half the year. LOL.

49C-60C interesting...if I remember my washer in the UK heated to 45C for non-fasts, 60C for fasts and 90C for whites.

Jerseygirl Feb 3rd 2007 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4359286)
I'm going to curse myself, I know.... my Maytag toploader is 16 years old and going strong. This kind of lifespan is not unusual for a Maytag and I'm really disappointed to read of those of you who've had to junk a washer after 5 years!

I hadn't considered draining a frontloader in order to add something (duh) because a part of the charm of adding something is to conserve detergents and water. But since a frontloader conserves more water in general, I guess I wouldn't feel too guilty about it (hey, I live in a green city! :p).

I'll check out the Miele.... Euroappliances have become very trendy so there's a premium markup on them, but if they last longer than five years then they may be worth it.

I don't drain my Maytag front loader to open the door to add anything. I just switch it off and wait a couple of minutes for the door lock to be released. The water is never higher than the bottom of the door...even with a full load.

Toontje Feb 3rd 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4359463)
I didn't say I *wanted* to buy another one.... but eventually I will *have* to, unless you are willing to do our laundry in the backyard with boiling water carried from the stove. :rofl:

At least no obscure buttons.... ;)

Elvira Feb 3rd 2007 10:09 pm

Re: I have just bought a Maytag!!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4359813)
I don't drain my Maytag front loader to open the door to add anything. I just switch it off and wait a couple of minutes for the door lock to be released. The water is never higher than the bottom of the door...even with a full load.

Yep. It's a Maytag Neptune front-loader. Got it reduced from $1299 to $799 because apparently they are bringing out a new model and this is the last one they had left.

It's got the same features as the Whirlpool, inlcuding the all-important water-heater and a spin-speed of 1200 rpm.

It's already installed and ready to go! :cool:

Ended up buying it from a Mom + Pop store. The 16-year-olds who were manning the local Sears didn't seem terribly interested in selling me a wachine-machine. In response to my questions, the girl read me the words of wisdom printed on the blurb stuck to the side of the machine. I could have done that - and in a better accent :D

Thanks everyone who helped - I've tried to give karma to everyone (sorry if I've left anyone out!)

Jerseygirl Feb 3rd 2007 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4359838)
Yep. It's a Maytag Neptune front-loader. Got it reduced from $1299 to $799 because apparently they are bringing out a new model and this is the last one they had left.

It's got the same features as the Whirlpool, inlcuding the all-important water-heater and a spin-speed of 1200 rpm.

It's already installed and ready to go! :cool:

Ended up buying it from a Mom + Pop store. The 16-year-olds who were manning the local Sears didn't seem terribly interested in selling me a wachine-machine. In response to my questions, the girl read me the words of wisdom printed on the blurb stuck to the side of the machine. I could have done that - and in a better accent :D

Thanks everyone who helped - I've tried to give karma to everyone (sorry if I've left anyone out!)

Great...you're all sorted now. :thumbup: I think I paid around $1,000 for mine in 1998 so you've got a bargain. I would buy another Neptune washer...it matches my Neptune dryer. :p

Elvira Feb 3rd 2007 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4359851)
Great...you're all sorted now. :thumbup: I think I paid around $1,000 for mine in 1998 so you've got a bargain. I would buy another Neptune washer...it matches my Neptune dryer. :p

I'll be Venus to my washer's Neptune... :rofl:

TruBrit Feb 3rd 2007 10:37 pm

[QUOTE=Elvira;4359838]Yep. It's a Maytag Neptune front-loader. Got it reduced from $1299 to $799 because apparently they are bringing out a new model and this is the last one they had left.

QUOTE]

yep that's the one i've got..maytag neptune.

Elvira Feb 3rd 2007 10:42 pm

[QUOTE=TruBrit;4359914]

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4359838)

QUOTE]

yep that's the one i've got..maytag neptune.

It's splashing away happily - long may it last.

So now we can go back to discussing sex and opera :)

britvic Feb 3rd 2007 10:51 pm

[QUOTE=Elvira;4359924]

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4359914)

So now we can go back to discussing sex and opera :)

Thats more like it :D sorry girls did not want to talk about my washing machine, did I miss anything :p

Elvira Feb 3rd 2007 10:58 pm

[QUOTE=britvic;4359946]

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4359924)
Thats more like it :D sorry girls did not want to talk about my washing machine, did I miss anything :p

Would like to talk about the things one can do ON a washing-machine, darling? :p

TruBrit Feb 3rd 2007 11:08 pm

[QUOTE=Elvira;4359965]

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4359946)

Would like to talk about the things one can do ON a washing-machine, darling? :p

my maytag neptune is getting to vibrate a little more the older it gets and so no complaints there ;)