Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sickle Cell test - needed for US college sports

Sickle Cell test - needed for US college sports

Old Aug 18th 2022, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sickle Cell test - needed for US college sports

One of my teens is likely to play soccer at college, in order to join the team for a training day they needed proof of a negative sickle cell test which most states do at birth. The UK also does this as part of the heel-prick/blood spot test and should provide a written report as well as recording it in the babies Red Book.

For one of my kids I have the report, and the entry in the Red Book. For the kid about to go to training I cannot find the report, and the Red Book page was blank.
When leaving the UK I had (and paid) my GP print out full NHS records, but that has no entry for this test (for either kid). Note: The NHS print-out is not a comprehensive health record.

It should not have been a huge problem as Kaiser arranged a blood test fairly quickly and their test result was accepted (and it was free). However not knowing of the requirement even after playing soccer for ~10 years, it did mean re-scheduling the trip which was accommodated.

The moral of the story is for those moving to US to really check that you have full records of their child's health, and don't lose them. I'll presume that NHS did send me the report, but in the last 17 years and many moves it was lost.