British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Should I Have Told Them (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/should-i-have-told-them-735016/)

silverbirch Oct 8th 2011 2:18 pm

Should I Have Told Them

I called in the bank last week to get a balance on sons active savings account and the girl told me that his account was an old one and there was better ones now that paid more interest ( although not a lot ).

Anyway she sent me round to see the advisor who asked me lots of details like was he a british taxpayer, I told her no because he works in the States, now will this cange anything next time he's home.

For instance if he needs to go to A@E ( hopefully not ) will he have to pay now.

Englishmum Oct 8th 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Should I Have Told Them

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 9664515)
I called in the bank last week to get a balance on sons active savings account and the girl told me that his account was an old one and there was better ones now that paid more interest ( although not a lot ).

Anyway she sent me round to see the advisor who asked me lots of details like was he a british taxpayer, I told her no because he works in the States, now will this cange anything next time he's home.

For instance if he needs to go to A@E ( hopefully not ) will he have to pay now.

Are you in the UK?

If your son is living and working in the US he is not entitled to have NHS treatment; the exception is for emergency treatment.

silverbirch Oct 8th 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Englishman :)

My son is living in the States now and working there so you have answered my question, he will just have to keep healthy when he visits, fingers crossed.

silverbirch Oct 8th 2011 3:07 pm

Yes I am in the UK.:)

Jerseygirl Oct 8th 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 9664591)
Thanks for the reply Englishman :)

My son is living in the States now and working there so you have answered my question, he will just have to keep healthy when he visits, fingers crossed.

Hopefully if he has more than $10K in accounts outside the US he is reporting it each year.

silverbirch Oct 8th 2011 5:38 pm

I wish jersey girl, I don't know why he lives over there to be honest he would be much better off working in the UK....if there were any jobs.:(

GeoffM Oct 8th 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 9664591)

Travel insurance - or check his US health insurance to see whether it includes foreign cover.

silverbirch Oct 9th 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Geoff

Yes he is covered by his insurance thank god, so no worries now.

Thanks for mentioning that I didn't think to ask him.:)