Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I Have Told Them

Should I Have Told Them

Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough
Default Should I Have Told Them

I called in the bank last week to get a balance on sons active savings account and the girl told me that his account was an old one and there was better ones now that paid more interest ( although not a lot ).

Anyway she sent me round to see the advisor who asked me lots of details like was he a british taxpayer, I told her no because he works in the States, now will this cange anything next time he's home.

For instance if he needs to go to A@E ( hopefully not ) will he have to pay now.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Should I Have Told Them

Originally Posted by silverbirch
I called in the bank last week to get a balance on sons active savings account and the girl told me that his account was an old one and there was better ones now that paid more interest ( although not a lot ).

Anyway she sent me round to see the advisor who asked me lots of details like was he a british taxpayer, I told her no because he works in the States, now will this cange anything next time he's home.

For instance if he needs to go to A@E ( hopefully not ) will he have to pay now.
Are you in the UK?

If your son is living and working in the US he is not entitled to have NHS treatment; the exception is for emergency treatment.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Should I Have Told Them

Thanks for the reply Englishman

My son is living in the States now and working there so you have answered my question, he will just have to keep healthy when he visits, fingers crossed.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I am in the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Englishman

My son is living in the States now and working there so you have answered my question, he will just have to keep healthy when he visits, fingers crossed.
Hopefully if he has more than $10K in accounts outside the US he is reporting it each year.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

I wish jersey girl, I don't know why he lives over there to be honest he would be much better off working in the UK....if there were any jobs.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Travel insurance - or check his US health insurance to see whether it includes foreign cover.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Geoff

Yes he is covered by his insurance thank god, so no worries now.

Thanks for mentioning that I didn't think to ask him.