Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I give in....

Wikiposts

Should I give in....

Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I give in....

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
I use our local Subway (double steak American cheese on Italian herb and cheese - 12" of course)

I ask for everything just to avoid confusion, then throw the dog what I didn't want when I get home- everyone wins!! (she hates the banana peppers though)
First time I went to McD's, I ordered a chicken McNugget meal, ended up with a Happy Meal! I didn't say anything, I just slunk away into a corner and played with my new Dora the Explorer doll...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
difference is we do that TO offend the french!!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
As a yank I would really like to ask this question....(if you all don't mind please)...

Why do you say al-oo-min-ee-um?

It's spelled aluminum. There's no 'i' after the 'n'.

I really don't understand this. Most of the time, you all pronounce words the way they are spelled - properly. This one baffles me....
Both spellings - aluminum and aluminium - are in the dictionary
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Both spellings - aluminum and aluminium - are in the dictionary
The US is pretty much the only country that spells it Aluminum though...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shazza777
After what seemed like a lifetime finding my perfect hairdresser in the UK, I had my first appointment in an American hair salon, i was so nervous incase she cut me baldy i felt sick. I chickened out and told her that i only wanted a trim, then she said "do you do your own bangs" then i felt sick even more, i thought she was being rude, hadn't a clue what she was talking about, lol, so i looked at her through the mirror trying to not look dumb and replied "oh, you do them" What an experience!
I'm growing my hair and never cutting it again after my first and only experience with a hairdresser over here, who when I informed them I would like a trim, she then proceeded to cut new layers into my already layered hair!! It looks like a bird has died in a fight and left its frayed messy feathery carcas on my head! Luckily it is long enough to tie back, so I'll grow it out and never get it cut again. :curse:
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Oh, I'm not very good at that phonetic spelling thingy.....
I say "Al - ah - min - yum"
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
In this area, it's 'hayuff'.
I'll always say "arf" and larf
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:30 am
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

On the subject of pronounciation can I ask for Gaelic/Celtic advice. My son's teacher is called Ms Dougherty. Now, I think it should be pronounced Dough-erty, but everyone else calls her Ms Docherty. Has the correct pronounciation been lost over the generations or could they be right?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:35 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
On the subject of pronounciation can I ask for Gaelic/Celtic advice. My son's teacher is called Ms Dougherty. Now, I think it should be pronounced Dough-erty, but everyone else calls her Ms Docherty. Has the correct pronounciation been lost over the generations or could they be right?
How does she pronounce it? If you don't know, ask her!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:36 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Docherty.

Actually, any way that she prefers.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:42 am
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

Oh, I'm a polite person and pronounce it the way everybody does, I was just wondering if it had perhaps changed over the years....
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:05 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm a polite person and pronounce it the way everybody does, I was just wondering if it had perhaps changed over the years....
It just gets awkward when you don't know which is their "correct pronunciation".
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:12 am
joycey

Smile Re: Should I give in....

Shortly after we came to the States, my son, who was 4 at the time, joined a Nursery and I asked him if he'd made any friends and he said, "Yes, his names 'Dearney' ". At the time, I thought that it was an unusual name and wondered how it was spelt. I later found out the boy's name was 'Danny'. It sounded cute and odd, because my son still had a full English accent at that time.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:30 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be unusual for the pronunciation to have changed. You see place names all the time where the pronunciation has evolved and become more Americanized over the years. St. Louis is an example of that. I'm sure it happens with surnames as well. Some immigrants have even changed the spelling of their surnames to appear more "American" although I'm sure if this happens as much as it used to. I went to college with a guy whose last name was changed to Colson from Colsani. Both of my Maternal Grandparents first names were "changed" by their teachers when they started school. They were both born in the US to parents who had come from Sicily. My Grandfather's name was Girolamo and my Grandmother's name was Vincenza. Their teachers called them "Jerry" and "Jennie" for convienence and it stuck for the rest of their lives.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:33 am
joycey

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It wouldn't be unusual for the pronunciation to have changed. You see place names all the time where the pronunciation has evolved and become more Americanized over the years. St. Louis is an example of that. I'm sure it happens with surnames as well. Some immigrants have even changed the spelling of their surnames to appear more "American" although I'm sure if this happens as much as it used to. I went to college with a guy whose last name was changed to Colson from Colsani. Both of my Maternal Grandparents first names were "changed" by their teachers when they started school. They were both born in the US to parents who had come from Sicily. My Grandfather's name was Girolamo and my Grandmother's name was Vincenza. Their teachers called them "Jerry" and "Jennie" for convienence and it stuck for the rest of their lives.
Yes, I read about the changing names thing in a book on Ellis Island, so interesting, but sad aswell - I think your Italian Grandparents original names were lovely, however...if it made it easier for them..

It's the same in England, alot of people from India, Pakistan and Poland change their names to English ones i.e. Surinder to 'Sue' etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.