Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I give in....

Wikiposts

Should I give in....

Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should I give in....

Originally Posted by anabella
Give in, it'll make your life easier..

I say "bangs" instead of fringe, absolutely hate the sound of the word bangs but it makes my life so much easier!!!
My 12 year old American step daughter told me that they call them "bangs" because the hair bangs on your forehead!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
My 12 year old American step daughter told me that they call them "bangs" because the hair bangs on your forehead!
Lol. I finally had my first decent hair cut in TX on Friday, I had to laugh at myself when I tole the hair dresser that I have been growing my bangs out!
Shortly after arriving here a friend told me she was having trouble with her bangs, I thought that was far too much personal information to disclose to somebody she had just met. (thought she was having bedroom problems).
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:34 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
We actually say, "al-you-min-ee-um".
Oh, I'm not very good at that phonetic spelling thingy.....
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:40 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
A bit of background...I'm from California, my wife is Thai, our daughter was born in Thailand, but has so far lived most of her life here in New Zealand. She can't speak more than a smidgen of Thai (my wife will only speak English with her, dunno why). My daughter's accent is close to mine, kind of a neutral bland West Coast California accent. My daughter has just started intermediate school and they have put her in the ESOL class, ESOL being English as a Second or Other Language. Perhaps this is because she says fish and chips instead of the proper Kiwi fush 'n' chups.
This might sound weird, but I think it's fascinating how children learn to speak from what they hear - and from what they see.

When I first met my husband, on occasion when we were sitting beside each other I used to watch his lips, mouth and tongue when he was speaking to me (stupid kinda I know). I was literally trying to figure what was mechanically different about his way of speaking from mine. And believe it or not, I did notice that in making that Irish accentuation of words he places the tip of his tongue in a slightly different spot on the roof of his mouth or back of his teeth than I would.

The lilt I suppose is learned by listening to a speech pattern repetitively.

I know all this probably sounds really moronic...........
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shazza777
always wondered where they came up with bangs from...

besides wadder the next tricky word for me is 'half'....here it's pronounced 'haf'
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

besides wadder the next tricky word for me is 'half'....here it's pronounced 'haf'
My son once said, in a very sympathetic tone, "You have trouble saying some things don't you mummy."
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bevinva
My son once said, in a very sympathetic tone, "You have trouble saying some things don't you mummy."
awwww blesss
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Many words are not pronounced correctly depending on where you're from. Where I grew up it was Haitch and that's the way I'll always say it. It supposedly originated from Roman Catholic education which would be exactly what my father had.
I had a catholic education and I have never heard of that. Put simply, if you say 'haitch', you're wrong. If there is one thing worse than people that say 'haitch', it's people that then try and claim that 'haitch' is the correct pronunciation!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:22 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

In this area, it's 'hayuff'.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I had a catholic education and I have never heard of that. Put simply, if you say 'haitch', you're wrong. If there is one thing worse than people that say 'haitch', it's people that then try and claim that 'haitch' is the correct pronunciation!
There's no right or wrong when it comes to pronunciation.

Personally, I'm an "aitch" girl.

ALL the people I grew up with who said "Haitch" were Catholics, and all the Catholics I knew growing up said "Haitch". (This was in Oz....and LOADS of these also said the-et-a for theater/theatre)

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Mar 12th 2008 at 1:24 am. Reason: still cant spell
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
There's no right or wrong when it comes to pronunciation.

Personally, I'm an "aitch" girl.

ALL the people I grew up with who said "Haitch" were Catholics, and all the Catholics I knew growing up said "Haitch". (This was in Oz....and LOADS of these also said the-et-a for theater/theatre)

not sure what aitch you mean or where you use it but reminded me of something that makes me chuckle everytime i hear it.... we say Houston pronouncing the 'H' however there is a town close by called Humble pronounced 'umble'
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:43 am
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

not sure what aitch you mean or where you use it but reminded me of something that makes me chuckle everytime i hear it.... we say Houston pronouncing the 'H' however there is a town close by called Humble pronounced 'umble'
My parents insist on pronouncing Houston Hooston instead of Hewston. Doesnt matter how may times I correct them.

Last edited by weazie; Mar 12th 2008 at 6:02 am.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that one always used to make me wonder as well, but I just figured it is where all the 'erbs come from
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:11 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weazie
My parents insist on pronouncing Houston Hooston instead of Hewston. Doesnt matter how may times I correct them.
Well if you're in Georgia, then Houston county is pronounced Howston just to confuse things.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:57 pm
WhiteRabbit

And in South Carolina, Horry County is pronounced 'O'ree'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.