Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I give in....

Wikiposts

Should I give in....

Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:51 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I give in....

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I can see changing the names of things to get by, but I see no reason other than convienience to change pronunciation. If you keep changing your pronunciation to the American English us Yanks won't really get used to hearing UK English and the problem will persist.

It might depend on your regional dialect as well. Just as an example, in my lifetime I've spoken to one English guy face to face. He had a very BBCish accent and I had no trouble understanding him. Then I watched the movie "Billy Elliot" and was constantly having to rewind because I couldn't catch it the first time.
I talk proper like wot they do on the telly.

but I still get "Damn man, I didn't understand a word of what you just said".

LOL - I love it, 'cos I cant understand half the stuff they say, especially cos some of them are from Kentucky! Adds alittle humour to the day.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
The only problem with me is, I have a strong Welsh accent and when I modify certain words the American way, I think I sound like a bit of a twit....
Yes this is how I feel (i'm not Welsh though ) It feels like I'm trying to put on an American accent if I say tomayto or wadder or whatever.

The other day I had trouble on the phone with my doctors receptionist, I was trying to make an appointment for my daughter. She just didn't understand me everytime I said daughter, in the end I just had to say my child.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:26 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I can see changing the names of things to get by, but I see no reason other than convienience to change pronunciation. If you keep changing your pronunciation to the American English us Yanks won't really get used to hearing UK English and the problem will persist.

It might depend on your regional dialect as well. Just as an example, in my lifetime I've spoken to one English guy face to face. He had a very BBCish accent and I had no trouble understanding him. Then I watched the movie "Billy Elliot" and was constantly having to rewind because I couldn't catch it the first time.
It's actually, only a few word pronunciations, most people in the UK have a regional accent and a more or less standard accent, used in the business world. If I overhear a couple of Glaswegians or Geordies speaking privately, i probably won't understand them; but in the office we have no problem.

It's more a change of syllable emphasis and word usage. There is the British "GARage" and the American "garAGE"; and where, here we ask, "Do you have any....", in UK, they say, "Have you got any....". With those changes it becomes the Mid-Atlantic accent.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weazie
I was wondering?..

I was in quiznos and the server asked me if i wanted tomatoes. I just ended up saying yes I want those- and pointing- instead of going through the whole ' yes please I'd like tomartoes' you want what?' scenario.

Ive been in this situation a lot. Should I just give in and say tomato instead of tomarto?
Oh honestly.....who really cares? Do you want it or not?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:46 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh honestly.....who really cares? Do you want it or not?
that depends, what are you offering?

I think its time to talk about the sex life of a ping-pong ball.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a tomayta for ya......
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Scottish friend who has been here 7 years. We both have a son called Cameron except she calls hers Camron like most Americans pronounce it. I have US friends that always make the effort and pronounce it as it is spelled when asking about my Cameron. Just a pet peeve which grates on me as she is Scottish.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:00 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I have a Scottish friend who has been here 7 years. We both have a son called Cameron except she calls hers Camron like most Americans pronounce it. I have US friends that always make the effort and pronounce it as it is spelled when asking about my Cameron. Just a pet peeve which grates on me as she is Scottish.
Could be worse, we know a Cameron and it gets shortened to Cam...
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse, we know a Cameron and it gets shortened to Cam...
Yeah not mad on the Cam or Cammy thing. Will probably come as he grows though and his mates will call him that. That's him in the avatar so as you can see he's only pint sized
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:10 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Yeah not mad on the Cam or Cammy thing. Will probably come as he grows though and his mates will call him that. That's him in the avatar so as you can see he's only pint sized
He is GORGEOUS
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

He is GORGEOUS
Aw thanks. My little Texan with the Scottish name
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I can't change the way I say tomato or the way I say "r" when I spell my name. What I think is funny is when I've been watching BBC America or something else British and talk to my kids I can hear my accent getting thicker, I wish it would stay that way.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:09 am
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

because im living in south texas everyone thinks my name is pronounced and spelt 'luis' (think lewis) instead of 'louise'
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:13 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering?..

I was in quiznos and the server asked me if i wanted tomatoes. I just ended up saying yes I want those- and pointing- instead of going through the whole ' yes please I'd like tomartoes' you want what?' scenario.

Ive been in this situation a lot. Should I just give in and say tomato instead of tomarto?
I've crossed an even worse line.

I was at the Rockefeller center getting a bagel the other morning. And I said... and I can't believe this... 'Can I have budder?'

Not butter. A Noo Yoik 'Budder.'
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

because im living in south texas everyone thinks my name is pronounced and spelt 'luis' (think lewis) instead of 'louise'

Just go with what feels natural to you. If you are here long enough your accent will change anyway, it may not be noticeable to you but it will happen even if it is only slight. I think you automatically adapt after a time anyway.

Saying that, I have been in Texas for 20 years and I still sound like an old Essex girl...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.