Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should it be easier to immigrate to the U.S.?

Should it be easier to immigrate to the U.S.?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should it be easier to immigrate to the U.S.?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The police and immigration authorities are very aware of it (it's regularly reported in the newspapers) but do nothing about it.
Cake and eat it too.

Take a potential group of poor desperate immigrants.

Make it impossible to gain legal entry.

Make them endure a "survivor" (REAL survivor) border crossing.

If they live, they work very hard for little pay and can't complain for fear of being deported.

If they do ANYTHING wrong, they have no rights to stay so boot them out.

Sounds like an ideal labour force for a dictatorship.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:59 am

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Scarlett,

I could have phrased things more carefully, but Rete was correct about what I meant: marriage to a USC has meant you and your children have had a far, far easier immigration experience than others -- it isn't even *possible* for most others.

I am in no way implying that you were after a green card to live in the Promised Land , merely commenting about the relative ease of the process. I am glad you feel settled here, I only wish that more people were eligible to immigrate based upon skills assessment as is done in Canada and Australia, or by increasing the number of DV visas and only excluding those born in three countries because they contribute the lion's share of current immigrants though illegal and legal immigration and work-based immigration.
I understand. I think I must have been in a touchy mood earlier. Sorry!

Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I do feel that the DV lottery system is rather unfair towards the majority of people born in western Europe as they are not allowed to apply.
Most western European states ARE included in the DV lottery.
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2008_Final.pdf

I also think that a political deal must have been made by one of the Kennedy clan to allow people born in Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom) to enter the diversity lottery particularly as those of us born in England, Scotland and Wales are excluded.
Similarly, mainland China is excluded but Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan are all treated as separate jurisdictions.

And the reason why a country or territory is excluded is because in the last 5 years, over 50,000 green cards have been given based on employment or family relationships. Eligibility is reassessed each year.

It's such a pity that the diversity lottery isn't open to *all* nationalities
Eligibility is based on birthplace - not nationality.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Such stringent controls are in place because we can barely handle the queues we have now from previous emigrants who have become citizens and are petitioning for their family.
The reason it's easier to migrate on a skilled basis to Australia (compared to the US) is partially because it's much harder to emigrate on a family basis.

With the exception of spouses, partners and dependent children of Australian citizens and permanent residents, there are very strict restrictions on family based migration to Australia.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The reason it's easier to migrate on a skilled basis to Australia (compared to the US) is partially because it's much harder to emigrate on a family basis.

With the exception of spouses, partners and dependent children of Australian citizens and permanent residents, there are very strict restrictions on family based migration to Australia.
The problem is the time the whole thing takes.

But then those on H Visa's are not on immigrant visa's anyway, but temporary work visa's.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:37 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Boiler

But then those on H Visa's are not on immigrant visa's anyway, but temporary work visa's.
The point I'm making is that if the US closed down the visa categories for siblings, adult children, parents etc there would be plenty more GCs available for the employment based categories. Result - less time.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
The point I'm making is that if the US closed down the visa categories for siblings, adult children, parents etc there would be plenty more GCs available for the employment based categories. Result - less time.
Not sure about Parents, need to think about that one, but would certainly agree with all the others.

Definitely do away with the Lottery.

And I am pretty certain the system would remain as painful.

But we have not mentioned up and coming "Guest" Workers, or just come here and wait for the next Amnesty.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:44 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

H Visas are dual-intent. Calling them "temporary work visas" over-simplifies the situation. There are many advantages to any country that welcomes highly skilled workers, such as those eligible for H visas, and the current situation with priority date retrogression and people timing out on their H visas before getting a GC is not in America's best interests in my opinion.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:00 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be all for a diversity visa system wherein the citizens of every country save a handful would be eligible (the top three countries would do).

That's how I got here
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:24 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

That's how I got here
No better reason to scrap it then...obviously doesn't deter the riff raff does it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:29 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
I understand. I think I must have been in a touchy mood earlier. Sorry!

I don't think you were touchy, totally agreed with you. I had never visited US before meeting DH nor desperately wanted to, but if you want to be with someone you have to make a choice.

I will now make the best of it. I am happy here now, but hope one day he may want to try life over there again. The fact that we had an 'easier' ride is cancelled out by the fact that it was not an objective to be here.

Other than the sunshine and beaches, I have a harder life than I ever did and can not imagine why someone would be desperate to get here. I could have spent the amount of time on the beach that I do now with my previous 7 weeks vacation time if that had been my objective.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbj1000
H Visas are dual-intent. Calling them "temporary work visas" over-simplifies the situation. There are many advantages to any country that welcomes highly skilled workers, such as those eligible for H visas, and the current situation with priority date retrogression and people timing out on their H visas before getting a GC is not in America's best interests in my opinion.
H is a temorary work visa that is in the main used by those with Immigrant intent because they can then file in country.

As I said in my opening comment, the time everything takes is the problem, I am sure most H visa applicant would rather move with a GC. As it stands the people who suffer are those who only do want to move for a short period, the allocation is swallowed up by those intending to stay.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most western European states ARE included in the DV lottery.
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2008_Final.pdf

Similarly, mainland China is excluded but Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan are all treated as separate jurisdictions.

And the reason why a country or territory is excluded is because in the last 5 years, over 50,000 green cards have been given based on employment or family relationships. Eligibility is reassessed each year.

Eligibility is based on birthplace - not nationality.
Thank god someone else had the knowledge to point out the misconceptions about the DV growing in this thread. Saved me a lot of typing.