Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Wikiposts

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:21 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Lets ban in the car.

1. Kids
2. Animals
3. Eating.
4. The mother inlaw.

All of the above are just as much a distraction if not more then a cell phone.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:29 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
agree with above ^ but it is I think much more common in the US, well at least in Houston. I was amazed by the fact that people drive at 80 miles an hour along huge Interstates (The I 10 - the biggest road I have ever seen!) whilst TEXTING!! Unbelievable. It feels like 75 lanes of nutters driving like maniacs and speaking on their phones. And do not even get me started on the drink driving thing.

I am not looking forward to driving in or around Houston one little bit. And I have driven all over Europe and in the US (it was a ling time ago and it was beautiful Pacific North West) and Canada before. I am not in any way phazed by driving in Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, London etc... but Houston gives me the heebie jeebies
Ah Lazza we will have you driving drunk while texting and eating sushi at the same time in no time at all....
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:03 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Ah Lazza we will have you driving drunk while texting and eating sushi at the same time in no time at all....
And eating ice cream cones in 100 deg F heat, with ice cream dripping down your arm. It makes for some serious driving problems.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:10 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

What about these? BTW, do go and review the reviews for this item: some of the most hilarious comments I have ever read.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:31 am
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nettlebed
What about these? BTW, do go and review the reviews for this item: some of the most hilarious comments I have ever read.
OH MY GOD! This has got to be a joke. Please tell me these aren't actually available.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:31 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Those comments are great.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:18 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAR14
OH MY GOD! This has got to be a joke. Please tell me these aren't actually available.
They really are available and purchasable on Amazon.com.

I believe they're meant to be used when the vehicle is stationary, though
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Lets ban in the car.

1. Kids
2. Animals
3. Eating.
4. The mother inlaw.

All of the above are just as much a distraction if not more then a cell phone.
I wonder if your reply be the same if somebody killed a Family member of yours and you found out that, they was using a cell phone..

Last edited by jaxslad; Feb 13th 2010 at 2:19 pm. Reason: Editing:
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad
I wonder if your reply be the same if somebody killed a Fmaily member of yours and you found out that, they was using a cell phone..
I would be equally upset and devested if they were screaming at the kids, trying to get a dog to get off the drivers seat, or eating a damn burger, we cannot single it down to cell phones alone.

Any distraction is one to many, the only difference with a cell phone is that we are conscious that we are using it, where as shouting to the kids on the back seat or the dog and taking our eyes of the road is just as dangerous.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Feb 13th 2010 at 2:11 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
LOL!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeyT
(begin rant)

As Poppy girl said, California has banned use of cell phones while driving but this hasn't stopped hordes of numpties hurtling along the freeway while weaving across lanes and tailgating me with a cell phone welded to their ear. See it every day sadly. Lax enforcement and relatively small fines are likely to blame (of course, it is essential they gossip to (or worse, text) their BFF while driving at 70+mph in a 2 ton SUV and risking a big accident :curse.

So as both an expat and now USC, I say flog and hang the lot of 'em (or at least give big fines and points on their license).

(rant over)
They don't have them welded to their ears this way on....for some reason, the fashion seems to be to put the phone on speaker, and hold it about a foot from ones head.

Sadly, even if the phone ban were strictly enforced, there would still be hordes of numpties violently swerving around the freeway and tailgating....I've honestly seen better driving in Cairo!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dan725
They don't have them welded to their ears this way on....for some reason, the fashion seems to be to put the phone on speaker, and hold it about a foot from ones head.

Sadly, even if the phone ban were strictly enforced, there would still be hordes of numpties violently swerving around the freeway and tailgating....I've honestly seen better driving in Cairo!
Cairo you talking about cell phone use on a camel
Attached Thumbnails Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?-cellphonecamel.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Most Definately.. ONLY HUMANS SHOULD BE BEHIND THE WHEEL
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:55 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I am torn between a definite YES because of their danger and all the close call's I have had with idiots ignoring everyone except their phone...and NO- because we already have laws prohibiting Distracted Driving- talking on phones, quarter pounder eating, making up, reading newspapers or rocking out to AC/DC. The question is whether these laws prohibiting such behavior will ever be enforced as they should- as strongly as drunk driving (since it has been shown that distracted drivers are as dangerous as drunk drivers)
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

People should be banned from behind the wheel.

The standard of driving (even without cell phones etc) is at an all time low. Most of you people dont even know what lane to drive in so who gives a shit if you have a phone to your ear anyway when you're in my way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.