Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of
Default Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Just wondering how US Citizens feel about a ban on cell phones behind the Wheel..

Do you think It should be made Law and maybe a fine and points on your D/L?

Thoughts anybody...
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Check out this link.

http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Thanks Great Link....
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad
Just wondering how US Citizens feel about a ban on cell phones behind the Wheel..
So... you don't want to hear the opinions of those who aren't USC's?

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should, but make the penalty something to make people pay attention. I think destruction of the phone would be enough to make people put them down when driving!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:59 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Thoughts anybody...
I think they should be. I get sick of unsafe driving c**** that I narrowly sneak past when they veer into my lane only to look over and see them on their damn phone.

If I'm on mine, it's only to say, 'I'll be there in 5 minutes' and then I hang up. I just don't like to drive and talk.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:05 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely guilty as charged of using my phone way to much behind the wheel but with recent publicity truly proving our brains simply cannot handle the multi-tasking involved in driving and talking on our cells, I really think a ban is important. Additionally, I think car companies should look at developing a block on cell phone signals for vehicles so that every time you're in your car you cannot access your phone. With On Star and other such emergency measures available to cars these days, this would not hinder you accessing emergency assistance if you needed it, but would make you have to pull over and get out of your car to make a general call. As a mum of a child about to reach the legal age for driving in the US, I would buy a car, or device you could fit to an existing one, that had this ability in a heart beat. Right, got that off my chest................
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While there aren't many USC's on these forums, I do happen to be one. I would think that an immigrant's opinion is just as valid and important as a Yanks.

Yes, hand helds should be banned as the are now in most states. Should the cell be banned altogether? Well it would be nice to have a driver's completely focussed on the traffic around them, but no, because like with handsfree cell useage, the ban would be too difficult to enforce.

Thoughts anybody...
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If something similar to On-Star is available in all vehicles, then a jamming device is definitely worth considering. For various reasons, I have no plans to ever buy American-made cars, so I do think it's a good idea to make this type of emergency assitance available on all cars not just a few manufacturers.

That being said, I'm of the mind that we should make it mandatory for all phones to dock (maybe via bluetooth?) with your car so you can simply say out loud "call Lisa" and the call is routed through your vehicle speakers. That is far safer than having to hold a phone to your head. Again, I think this option is only available on higher end models and it should be a necessity. Being able to simply speak out loud to talk to someone on the phone is no different than speaking to a passenger. So, unless we decide to ban passengers because of their distraction to a driver, this is a very reasonable alternative.

EDIT: The real question is, what do you do about people who can't walk and talk at the same time because they don't pay attention to their surroundings?
http://www.silive.com/westshore/inde...alls_into.html

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 12th 2010 at 1:30 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:22 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So, unless we decide to ban passengers because of their distraction to a driver, this is a very reasonable alternative.
I would agree that this bit makes perfect sense, but a program I watched recently (dare I admit to watching Oprah?!), said that our brains react different to in-car physical conversations (ie with passengers) allowing us to continue with full periphery vision intact to how our brains react to a cellphone call whether it be handsfree/bluetooth/speaker etc. I know that sounds weird but there was a science bod I then saw interviewed (on a different program) who was showing reactions in the brain under both circumstances. Really was interesting, but he concluded by saying therefore that the cellphone conversation is a big no-no on any level.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts anybody...
Well I'm not a USC but you're getting my opinion anyway.

Yes to the question and to putting on makeup and eating your breakfast cereal and ...........
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:29 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't make any difference since the cops only want to play with their radar guns.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hand helds have been banned her in CA for a while and most folk take no notice of it, they did to begin with but the novelty wore off and it's back to normal.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Feb 12th 2010 at 2:37 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should have a strictly enforced hands-free type law here as per the UK. No-one will ever go for a total ban - heck, here (in Florida at least) there is so much opposition to even a handheld ban.

I heard the issue being discussed on a radio show one morning a couple of months ago, and the pervading attitude was - its MY RIGHT to talk on my phone in the car....and never mind anyone else's rights to be spared injury or death when I plough into them.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My cell does this. DH bought a little inexpensive device that plugs into the cell and routes the speaker through the car's speakers. Our cell has voice command and we tell it who to call.

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If something similar to On-Star is available in all vehicles, then a jamming device is definitely worth considering. For various reasons, I have no plans to ever buy American-made cars, so I do think it's a good idea to make this type of emergency assitance available on all cars not just a few manufacturers.

That being said, I'm of the mind that we should make it mandatory for all phones to dock (maybe via bluetooth?) with your car so you can simply say out loud "call Lisa" and the call is routed through your vehicle speakers. That is far safer than having to hold a phone to your head. Again, I think this option is only available on higher end models and it should be a necessity. Being able to simply speak out loud to talk to someone on the phone is no different than speaking to a passenger. So, unless we decide to ban passengers because of their distraction to a driver, this is a very reasonable alternative.

EDIT: The real question is, what do you do about people who can't walk and talk at the same time because they don't pay attention to their surroundings?
http://www.silive.com/westshore/inde...alls_into.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.