Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Wikiposts

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Originally Posted by Zonie
Well I'm not a USC but you're getting my opinion anyway.

Yes to the question and to putting on makeup and eating your breakfast cereal and ...........

and the man I watched shaving with an electric razor and another reading the newspaper and the person who turned his head to talk with the passenger in the backseat while he was driving and was all over the place.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 12th 2010 at 3:00 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Looking back at previous posts, I'm not sure that enforcing a hands free ban would be too hard. I admit it may be difficult to see if a person is using a phone but if someone is involved in a traffic incident it would be very simple to verify if a phone was being used at the time.

At that point the law can be enforced.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
and the man I watched shaving with an electric razor and another reading the newspaper and the person who turned his head to talk with the passenger in the backseat while he was driving and was all over the place.
I was watching a police car in my rear view mirror a few months ago - I could see the office was typing on his computer while he was driving. He veered to the centre line of the road, then veered the other way and almost drove off the road entirely. .. some example!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:33 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but also eating, putting on makeup, smoking....
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So... you don't want to hear the opinions of those who aren't USC's?

Ian
No Ian mate...Open house for everyone..
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't get what is the difference between holding the phone and using a hands-free bluetooth? I don't see how it would make a difference, if holding something with ur hand distracts ur mind, why haven't I crashed into someone since my hand has to be on the gearstick a lot around here?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
What I don't get what is the difference between holding the phone and using a hands-free bluetooth? I don't see how it would make a difference, if holding something with ur hand distracts ur mind, why haven't I crashed into someone since my hand has to be on the gearstick a lot around here?
Cas both hands should be on the stearing wheel unless you change gears..
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cpe111
I was watching a police car in my rear view mirror a few months ago - I could see the office was typing on his computer while he was driving. He veered to the centre line of the road, then veered the other way and almost drove off the road entirely. .. some example!
There was a cop here in Fl who hit a truck and was found Guilty of playing with that poxy lap top while driving, which there not to do when the vehical is in use...anyway not sure what happened to her after that but the city kept it a bit hush hush from then onwards....

here ya go guys.here is that link with that cop using her lap top while driving a police car..

http://forums.officer.com/forums/arc.../t-115029.html

Last edited by jaxslad; Feb 12th 2010 at 12:08 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

They should just standardize and enforce a "driving without due care and attention" law and enforce that. All the folks texting/doing their make-up/reading their paper/having their dog in their lap/watching TV and every other stupid thing I see people doing while driving to work each morning could then be prosecuted. Make them do community service in the County Morgue for a first offense and fry them for a second.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
They should just standardize and enforce a "driving without due care and attention" law and enforce that. All the folks texting/doing their make-up/reading their paper/having their dog in their lap/watching TV and every other stupid thing I see people doing while driving to work each morning could then be prosecuted. Make them do community service in the County Morgue for a first offense and fry them for a second.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. My aunt got a fender bender from a girl in her early 20s talking on her cell phone, and the young driver ran the stop sign to boot
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

MikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Hand helds have been banned her in CA for a while and most folk take no notice of it, they did to begin with but the novelty wore off and it's back to normal.
(begin rant)

As Poppy girl said, California has banned use of cell phones while driving but this hasn't stopped hordes of numpties hurtling along the freeway while weaving across lanes and tailgating me with a cell phone welded to their ear. See it every day sadly. Lax enforcement and relatively small fines are likely to blame (of course, it is essential they gossip to (or worse, text) their BFF while driving at 70+mph in a 2 ton SUV and risking a big accident :curse.

So as both an expat and now USC, I say flog and hang the lot of 'em (or at least give big fines and points on their license).

(rant over)
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
Well I'm not a USC but you're getting my opinion anyway.

Yes to the question and to putting on makeup and eating your breakfast cereal and ...........
this: http://www.avclub.com/articles/inven...ex-and-c,1612/

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 12th 2010 at 9:27 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It's illegal in the UK, but can't say it seems to make any difference - I see it all the time (usually notice it when someone is driving like a pratt).
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

agree with above ^ but it is I think much more common in the US, well at least in Houston. I was amazed by the fact that people drive at 80 miles an hour along huge Interstates (The I 10 - the biggest road I have ever seen!) whilst TEXTING!! Unbelievable. It feels like 75 lanes of nutters driving like maniacs and speaking on their phones. And do not even get me started on the drink driving thing.

I am not looking forward to driving in or around Houston one little bit. And I have driven all over Europe and in the US (it was a ling time ago and it was beautiful Pacific North West) and Canada before. I am not in any way phazed by driving in Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, London etc... but Houston gives me the heebie jeebies
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I seldom talk on my cell when I'm on a day to day type travel. Normally it's when it's a long trip. However, I do use a bluetooth. Yes,most of the people I see weaving on the road or doing similar stupid stunts are on the phone.

Texting while driving- BIG NONO!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.