Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Short trip back to UK - observations

Short trip back to UK - observations

Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short trip back to UK - observations

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, Dunkin D's....you can't spit for hitting one around here.

Plenty of Starbucks around Boston, just not quite so many in the burbs....but DD do better regular coffee anyway and their hash browns are awesome, gross, but awesome!
They started in Mass that's why. We FINALLY got one here this summer and they seem to be doing a rip roaring business. Pretty good since this is Krispy Kreme country, and DH thinks their custard filled doughnuts are the bomb.

Sadly, I had just gotten the diabetic diagnosis when they opened so no DD for me.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I feel weird when I can't pump my own gas. It just comes second nature to me to get out of the car and fill it up. I was surprised when I went to Oregon about 6 years ago and only saw Full Serve pumps. I felt awkward and obligated to tip when I didn't want to. I felt if someone was going to fill your car while facing the elements they should deserve something but not having the option to fill up for myself so I would have to tip just felt wrong.
We don't tip for gas! And you know me, I tip for everything. Well, I guess not, actually.

hiya .. .missed you!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
We don't tip for gas! And you know me, I tip for everything. Well, I guess not, actually.

hiya .. .missed you!
My daughter does...that's what waiting tables did to her.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter does...that's what waiting tables did to her.
o HELL no I'm not tipping for gas when there's no self serve option. I doubt it would occur to me to tip for that service when visiting another state either.. they charge more per gallon.
And I've waited my share of tables. Even convinced many a Brit to my way of thinking..
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:13 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

hiya .. .missed you!
Missed you too. I can't help but feel obligated though. My mom was a waitress and she hammered it home. I'll remember that the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. I'd loved to get back to Oregon and take some better photographs this time. Plus I need to go back to that seafood joint in Seaside that serves the best lobster casserole I've ever tasted. You know a dish is good if it's been years since you've last had it and you still remember it.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you, like 20?
Why thank you, I know I look so young, but unfortunately mid-30s.

LOL, I've just never seen it in the UK, US, or Europe for that matter. I've driven in a dozen or so US states, but not NJ except to get back to Newark airport.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Steerpike, glad to hear you're having a good time and can find a little bit of civilization. I'm with you 1000% on the latte thing, my brother from another mother.
I've now sampled lattes at Starbucks, Costa, and Caffe Nero. Costa is consistently the best for me - stronger, deeper. I prefer it to any 'mass market' latte I've had in US . Peets is my favorite in US, and still has the edge.

Every coffee place and every motorway service station seems to be selling a range of 'ready to heat' Pannini's, and they all have the Pannini machine. This is a vast improvement over the days of "British Rail Sandwiches", and better than most places in the US.

Last night I tried to spend a night in Central London with my mom. Took the Picadilly line from Heathrow, destined for Covent Garden (my favorite spot in London) but, at rush hour, "Due to a person under a train at Kings Cross", service was suspended at Hyde Park corner . So had to get out and look for a cab. It was freezing, so had a bite first then took the cab. Liecester Square looked a helluva lot more tacky than it used to ... Had a fabulous Lebanese meal at some random place on the street ... all good fun! And still no rain !!

Update ... here's the story behind my delayed trip to central london (woman pushes transvestite under train during rush hour!) ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ain-woman.html - excuse the daily mail link but it's the first I could find with Google. We sat there for ages before some guy came on the 'PA' system to mumble something. I don't think anyone could understand him - it was quite laughable. Eventually, we figured out that we were better off getting off!

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 26th 2010 at 11:56 am.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:10 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

o HELL no I'm not tipping for gas when there's no self serve option. I doubt it would occur to me to tip for that service when visiting another state either.. they charge more per gallon.
And I've waited my share of tables. Even convinced many a Brit to my way of thinking..
Thank God you put this as I am ALWAYS so confused when we go to Oregon and they pump your gas, should you tip or shouldn't you, we never do!! I always look to see if other people do but its so hard to tell!! phewwwww Thanks for clearing that up Mo!!!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
They started in Mass that's why. We FINALLY got one here this summer and they seem to be doing a rip roaring business. Pretty good since this is Krispy Kreme country, and DH thinks their custard filled doughnuts are the bomb.

Sadly, I had just gotten the diabetic diagnosis when they opened so no DD for me.
Aye, the original one ain't that far from where we are...it is amusing to see just how many of them are around here, even up in Maine, they're everywhere....where the in-laws live, it's along the log trucking routes, so there's a few Tim Hortons for the Canadians, they seem to be doing well but you can spot who generally uses them v DD
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

NJ is the other state without self-service gas, right? We can't pump our own but still have pay at the pump (the guy swipes your card for you).
I hope we never have self serve here. I love it as is!
I was in Walla Walla last weekend. Had to fill up. Managed to find the slot to swipe the card, it was the next bit after put nozzle in car I was stump with. Pull up lever. I pulled up the lever on the pump handle, no gas flowed. Fortunately my niece who comes from Walla Walla was with me. She pulled up the cradle the pump handle sits in when not being used. How is that a lever.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
I was in Walla Walla last weekend. Had to fill up. Managed to find the slot to swipe the card, it was the next bit after put nozzle in car I was stump with. Pull up lever. I pulled up the lever on the pump handle, no gas flowed. Fortunately my niece who comes from Walla Walla was with me. She pulled up the cradle the pump handle sits in when not being used. How is that a lever.
I know.. we're just as clueless when we road trip.. don't do it often enough, obviously!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, the original one ain't that far from where we are...it is amusing to see just how many of them are around here, even up in Maine, they're everywhere....where the in-laws live, it's along the log trucking routes, so there's a few Tim Hortons for the Canadians, they seem to be doing well but you can spot who generally uses them v DD
I've never pumped gas in the US...I would be clueless. Yet when I go back to the UK it's second nature.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
That happened to me the first time in the US...bit embarrassing
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never pumped gas in the US...I would be clueless. Yet when I go back to the UK it's second nature.
I'm off out for a curry tonight so I'll be pumping gas tomorrow.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm off out for a curry tonight so I'll be pumping gas tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.