Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Short trip back to UK - observations

Wikiposts

Short trip back to UK - observations

Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short trip back to UK - observations

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Overcrowding on the motorways is one thing but it was the overcrowding on public transport that really got to me when I was living in the UK. Those commuter lines seem to be operating way over a reasonable capacity. I think we are in collective denial about the ability of our infrastructure to cope with the population density in the South East....
And then I rode the Greenline into Boston one morning I wanted to start shooting people
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:09 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Freudian slip?
no it's the locale where all the gays hang out and is locally called Anal Street instead of Canal stree
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
no it's the locale where all the gays hang out and is locally called Anal Street instead of Canal stree
So how do you pronounce it then?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:43 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
So how do you pronounce it then?
It is Canal St but is full of homosexuals so everyone jokingly calls it Anal St because homsexuality involves anal sex an it is just to easy to knock off the C in Canal
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

no undertaking it's still against the law. It was discussed but that was as far as it went
Ah well, I guess my cousin likes to undertake then
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

thats not strictly overtaking on the inside though is it
Some of these things are not that obvious. When I was living in Germany, I was in the left lane on the autobahn when I came up on three signs that indicated that the right lane was closed, a no passing sign, and a reduced speed sign. In the US when such signs are posted, everyone slows and merges to the left lane so I slowed and remained in the left lane.

When I got to the barrier that was blocking the right lane, I was pulled over and given a ticket for passing in a no passing zone. They said that since I remained in the left lane, I was passing even though cars in the right lane were passing me and I didn't pass anyone. They said I was supposed to move to the right lane until I reached the barrier and then move to the left lane.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It is Canal St but is full of homosexuals so everyone jokingly calls it Anal St because homsexuality involves anal sex an it is just to easy to knock off the C in Canal
I GOT that part , just wondering how it's said.. 'anal' is different from 'canal' for where the emphasis falls.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Could do it the old fashioned way and leave some cash by the condiments on the way out for a tip?
I wasn't dining in places that leave condiments out, Bob

Tonight we had yet another fabulous meal, but this time more expected -at an Indian. The Indian restaurant scene has definitely evolved, but still good quality.

... Costa coffee and Starbucks decent coffee? FFS! ...
I'm an espresso / Latte drinker and 10 years ago it was nearly impossible to find one in UK (outside of London/major metro). And when you found one the teenage delinquent who operated it had no clue how to handle the machine, resulting in scalded milk and a crap coffee pull. Now, even the Motorway service stations have the gear, and at least in the ones I visited, did a passable job of frothing the milk (which takes some skill). I wouldn't be seen dead in a Starbucks in US, but I was grateful to find a half-decent esspresso to get me jump-started through my jet-lag.

PS my brother tells me they only just started 'keying' the diesel and petrol pumps and I was lucky my rental car was brand new ... I very nearly put diesel in a petrol car and he said that would have been "expensive"

I also got an automatic, for the first time ever in UK !

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 24th 2010 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:46 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I've always heard it pronounced anal as you'd normally say it, rather than canal with the c missing. I've also heard it evolved further to "anal treats"
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I wasn't dining in places that leave condiments out, Bob
If not leaving the cash by the salt/pepper shaker, candles or flower then

Oh and petrol pumps have had different sized nozzles for years....but have they finally got pay at the pumps yet?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an espresso / Latte drinker and 10 years ago it was nearly impossible to find one in UK (outside of London/major metro). And when you found one the teenage delinquent who operated it had no clue how to handle the machine, resulting in scalded milk and a crap coffee pull. !
You are exaggerating a bit here.. Italians have been running restaurants & cafes throughout the UK for a hundred years or more, and not just in London & other metro areas. Certainly back in the 60s and 70s, probably much earlier, you could get a good cup of espresso in many small towns, especially seaside resorts etc.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If not leaving the cash by the salt/pepper shaker, candles or flower then

Oh and petrol pumps have had different sized nozzles for years....but have they finally got pay at the pumps yet?
Sorry, when you said condiments I thought you were talking about fast food joints that have ketchup and such near the doorways . I've been trying to conserve cash and make max. use of credit cards.

No pay at the pump where I filled up - Lake District. I stood there for a few minutes looking for where to insert my card (in this supposedly advanced banking country ), before going inside and waiting to give my card to the attendant ... only to be told to gas first (fair enough, that's a convenience). All in all it was a bit of an embarrassing trip to the gas station!

Originally Posted by robin1234
You are exaggerating a bit here.. Italians have been running restaurants & cafes throughout the UK for a hundred years or more, and not just in London & other metro areas. Certainly back in the 60s and 70s, probably much earlier, you could get a good cup of espresso in many small towns, especially seaside resorts etc.
Oh, fair enough - I'm sure I could get one in an Italian cafe, which would be appropriate after a meal. But I'm usually hunting for a latte at 8am and I don't think those local Italian places are open then! It's not that easy in much of the US, come to think of it. I used to visit some small towns in South Jersey (across the river from Philly) and I plugged 'starbucks' into my GPS and was told the nearest was in Philly! I had to make do with fresh brewed coffee at the WaWa ...
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, when you said condiments I thought you were talking about fast food joints that have ketchup and such near the doorways . I've been trying to conserve cash and make max. use of credit cards.

No pay at the pump where I filled up - Lake District. I stood there for a few minutes looking for where to insert my card (in this supposedly advanced banking country ), before going inside and waiting to give my card to the attendant ... only to be told to gas first (fair enough, that's a convenience). All in all it was a bit of an embarrassing trip to the gas station!

Oh, fair enough - I'm sure I could get one in an Italian cafe, which would be appropriate after a meal. But I'm usually hunting for a latte at 8am and I don't think those local Italian places are open then! It's not that easy in much of the US, come to think of it. I used to visit some small towns in South Jersey (across the river from Philly) and I plugged 'starbucks' into my GPS and was told the nearest was in Philly! I had to make do with fresh brewed coffee at the WaWa ...
God what a nightmare! Best keep away
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Stop my sides are splitting.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Speaking of Starbucks....the missus won a gift card to one at work...thing is, there isn't one for miles...there's a DD across the parking lot and about 2 or 3 more around town though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.