Wikiposts

Shopping???

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping???

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Mach 3 razor blades are MUCH cheaper at Sam's. I stock up on them there.
Aye, they are, but there massive packs, can't afford that...but i'm thinking I might just have to suck it up though, either that or get a straight razor *lol*
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Publix is fantastic. Clean, extremely friendly efficient staff, always stocked up, brightly lit, a great place to shop, plus they have 2-for-1 deals all week now. They're open in the SE mostly. It is a FL market originally but have spread out the last years.
Sounds good...just need them to open up in maine...same with meijers
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by woodsey
if you like veggie curry try Green Guru's Channa Masala, its quite fabulous..seriously the best curry I've eaten since I got here and it made my nose run which is always a good sign. I buy them from Henrys Farmers market in the frozen section but I think Wholefoods also sell them, if you don't have these stores, they are made by deep foods and their website is www.deepsbest.com, they have other ones which I haven't tried yet but I intend too.
Kohinoor do pretty nice little microwave curry meals, mostly veg offerings, not that hot though, but nice and spicey all the same...
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:27 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
bob,

Publix is fantastic. Clean, extremely friendly efficient staff, always stocked up, brightly lit, a great place to shop, plus they have 2-for-1 deals all week now. They're open in the SE mostly. It is a FL market originally but have spread out the last years.

If I am mistaken, and I could be, the company is employee-owned. Ray might know more about it than I.

I agree about Publix. They are one of the few stores that I go in regularly and see the same faces working there year after year. We went from not having one Publix to having five in the space of three years. I just heard they are opening up another one soon. I did read somewhere that they are high up on the list of best places to work.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
I agree about Publix. They are one of the few stores that I go in regularly and see the same faces working there year after year. We went from not having one Publix to having five in the space of three years. I just heard they are opening up another one soon. I did read somewhere that they are high up on the list of best places to work.
We have HEB here in Texas.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Just out of interest where do you like to shop? For food/house hold we mostly shop at Meijers we have a couple of Walmart close by (although they are not super Walmarts) but to me they always seem dis-organised and dirty... however we do bulk by from Sams Club. Target is a good store but not usually as cheap as Meijers and as for Kmart

Department stores I used to shop at Sears but the since they were bought out the sales are crap, I love the clearance deals they have at Younkers for brand name clothing and Kohls have very good deals. Jcpenny have lots of sales but never really seem that cheap?

Ash

Online, whenever possible. I have to say that for me, going to the shops here is a disgusting experience ... so much wanton consumerism and absolute crapola for sale. I imagine the average US household has 2 tons of former Wal-Mart, Target, etc. purchases hiding up in the attic, all of which seemed to be good value and a good idea at the time.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Food: mostly Harris Teeter and Kroger. I buy fish from Whole Foods (from a lady at the fish counter named Peach).

I buy a lot of food (perishible and non-perishibles) from Costco. Costco is also good for household stuff like dishwasher liquid, paper plates, and that kind of thing.

I buy locally laid eggs from the "Red and White" store near where I work. The price fluctuates tremendously but the farm is within 10 miles of the store so I know they're fresh. Last week, a dozen eggs were 89 cents! I guess the hens are in laying mode at the moment.

I buy toiletries (skincare products, soap, toothpaste) online because I use brands that are cheaper when I buy in bulk online.

I buy paper products in bulk from either HT or Kroger when they're on special.

I buy Indian food products (paneer, okra, spices, etc.) from Indian grocery stores. I never used Pataks in the UK so I just continue that habit over here even though Pataks is sold even in the Indian grocery stores.

I rarely buy electrical goods in stores. I've not had any problems purchasing online (with the products or shipping).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mainly Safeway.

Whole Foods, Costco, Sams Club.

Safeway is similarish to the UK version, positioned in a similar sector, my local one has recently been refurbished, looks like they are seeking to compete more with Whole Foods, you can now get Swiss Museli in bulk etc.

They also have a new International Section, including English/Irish sub section. Presumably the Welsh and Scottish are of no interest.

Bought a few goodies, PG Tips for the missus, proper Beans for me - $2 a tin ouch.

They have Pataks in the Indian section.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Mar 22nd 2006 at 1:20 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 1:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
I agree about Publix...<snip>.
Stopped at a Publix in Orlando. Can't say I was too impressed. The service was good, I'll grant you, but otherwise it was just another Albertsons/Safeway etc...