Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shoot me now.

Shoot me now.

Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:44 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shoot me now.

put me out of my misery lol.

We are supposed to be relocating within the US and listed our house Thursday. We got three showings booked Friday (2 of which cancelled anyway) another Saturday and 2 more Sunday. (so 4 in total) 2 have given feedback - (one didnt like the pet smells and the other moaned about some old water marks in the basement).

So now we are running around trying to freshen up the carpets etc from the dogs and trying to work out what to do about the damp marks.

Plus Trying to keep the house tidy when you have 3 crazy young kids and 2 mental dogs is like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick over and over lol.

Its only been on the market 4 days and i'm hating it so the prospect of weeks of this is too much to bear lol. I don't even want to move in the first place.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shoot me now.

People can be very picky about pet odours, so get the carpets steam cleaned (I have found "Steamway" franchises to do a better job than the better known "Stanley Steamer" franchises), and banish the dogs to the garage 24/7 until the house is sold. It might be tougher on you than on them, but it'll be much easier to find a buyer.

Good luck!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed it goes in a few days. That seems to be the new norm round here.
I boxed up most of Dd's stuff, packed lots of things away and made our house look more like a display with fluffy white towels (bought a big bottle of clorox to go with them), it was sold to the second viewer in 24 hours so theres always hope. More buyers than sellers at the moment.
I've been told it's best to hide all evidence of pets, put the beds into the garage when people come and hide dishes in a cupboard and take them out for a walk. Luckily our cat stayed outside a lot and hid from strangers.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:00 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Fingers crossed it goes in a few days. That seems to be the new norm round here.
I boxed up most of Dd's stuff, packed lots of things away and made our house look more like a display with fluffy white towels (bought a big bottle of clorox to go with them), it was sold to the second viewer in 24 hours so theres always hope. More buyers than sellers at the moment.
I've been told it's best to hide all evidence of pets, put the beds into the garage when people come and hide dishes in a cupboard and take them out for a walk. Luckily our cat stayed outside a lot and hid from strangers.
we actually have moved the caged to the garage- and all the bowls etc were away. i will certainly be looking at getting the carpets cleaned again too. 80% of the kids toys are in the basement now and ive spent the last 2 months waiting for the paperwork decluttering everything. I think the water marks are the bigger issue.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

It's easier if you just get a storage unit and pack as many of the toys and other kid stuff away as you can get away with, and if its possible at all, have the dogs live elsewhere until you move. You are going to be packing anyway so why not get a head start and get your house sold quicker too?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We got our carpets cleaned and put the dog crates and bowls in the garage, and tidied up generally. We had a lot of viewers scheduled one day, so took the dogs out for a drive for 5 hours, because that's how the scheduling worked out. It was worth it as we got 4 offers from that day.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I had five dogs the last time we listed a house, so we couldn't use a lockbox and had to make appointments for showings. Someone told me to simmer cinnamon sticks and cloves on the stove top for a while to make the place smell nice. So I would do that for 15 mins or so and then shove the pan in the oven when I left, as every time there was a showing I would have to load the dogs up and go for a drive. Thank goodness it sold in two days! Hope it goes fast, good luck.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:30 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I move out of a carpeted flat, I sprinkle ordinary salt mixed with lavender essential oil over the carpet, let it sit for an hour or two, then vacuum up. I learned the trick from a friend who (surprise) sells essential oils, but I have figured out that the salt and lavender actually do kill odor-causing microorganisms. If you have a carpet cleaner of the wet-vacuum type, the best solution to use is Nature's Miracle. Another friend who used to do make-readies for apartment complexes said she used to use household ammonia, well brushed in, to fix pet accident spots. This is no good for your carpets on a long term basis but does work in the short term.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
put me out of my misery lol.

We are supposed to be relocating within the US and listed our house Thursday. We got three showings booked Friday (2 of which cancelled anyway) another Saturday and 2 more Sunday. (so 4 in total) 2 have given feedback - (one didnt like the pet smells and the other moaned about some old water marks in the basement).

So now we are running around trying to freshen up the carpets etc from the dogs and trying to work out what to do about the damp marks.

Plus Trying to keep the house tidy when you have 3 crazy young kids and 2 mental dogs is like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick over and over lol.

Its only been on the market 4 days and i'm hating it so the prospect of weeks of this is too much to bear lol. I don't even want to move in the first place.
I wouldn't worry too much about it being a mess, people can see through most of that, but water marks in the basement , I'd turn right around and leave...
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
It's easier if you just get a storage unit and pack as many of the toys and other kid stuff away as you can get away with, and if its possible at all, have the dogs live elsewhere until you move. You are going to be packing anyway so why not get a head start and get your house sold quicker too?
I'll be the one to say it: I disagree. Pets are members of my family, and I'm not rehoming them for days/weeks/months while my house is on the market. Not to mention, trying to find someone willing to take them on for an unknown period of time - I'm certainly not going to subject them to a small kennel for an unknown period of time either (at my cost). Cleaning up the evidence of stains and putting bowls/beds/litter boxes out sight should be all I need to do before a viewing.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously it's only something you'd do if there was a way for it to be done within your comfort zone - some people may have relatives they are happy to have watch their pets for a few weeks etc. I'm not saying send them to the kennel for 6 months!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
Obviously it's only something you'd do if there was a way for it to be done within your comfort zone - some people may have relatives they are happy to have watch their pets for a few weeks etc. I'm not saying send them to the kennel for 6 months!
You didn't need to, but I'm glad you said that! I couldn't imagine sending them to a kennel long term and don't see how some people could do that!

Good luck MsElui! I remember the difficulty trying to sell our house years ago, and it about did my head in and we didn't have kids!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
..... I remember the difficulty trying to sell our house years ago, and it about did my head in and we didn't have kids!
Maybe it was the smell of dogs that wasn't noticeable to you but may have been very obvious to potential buyers?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe it was the smell of dogs that wasn't noticeable to you but may have been very obvious to potential buyers?
We didn't have dogs though..

And my comments to potential buyers would have been: don't like the smell, then you can clean or replace the carpets.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
We didn't have dogs though..

And my comments to potential buyers would have been: don't like the smell, then you can clean or replace the carpets.
There's a guaranteed way to make them go and look at another house ...

That being said - if you have cats, there shouldn't be much of a smell anyway - just the never ending supply of freshly shed hair to hoover up. Well, mine also scratches away at the carpet, the little shit. She should be a bit more grateful that I remember to feed her and show the gratitude by not potentially costing me a few grand down the line.

The same goes for the children and their bloody inability to keep food and drink on their plates, in their cups or in their mouths. Arseholes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.