Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping to USA from UK

Shipping to USA from UK

Old Jun 30th 2002, 1:20 am
Nick Lancaster

Default Shipping to USA from UK

Has anyone here had experience with shipping their stuff to the USA with the Royal
Mail Parcel Force service?

I don't have a great deal to send and the international removal firms are quoting me
£1100 + insurance. Parcel Force will do the lot in boxes for about £400 - some
difference.

Old Jun 30th 2002, 3:20 am
Morkai Kurst

Default Re: Shipping to USA from UK

My folks sent me a birthday present via parcel force international. It arrived via
the us postal service.

Most of my experience is in the UK, we use them as a carrier at work. 80% of the time
they are great, but they do have a habit of 'losing' stuph for a few days.

I would mainly ensure you know exactly how it will be arriving at the other end. The
international service we use from parcel force basically says they will deliver it to
the country of choice and then it enters that countries mail service and once its in
that there is no tracking facilities from parcel force. All they will tell you is
they got it to the country in question.

I don't know all their services and you may be looking at a different one from what
we use. Just check the small print and exactly how it works. If it is the same one,
you gotta put your faith in the US mail system too. All three of the items we sent
arrived in the proper country, however two of them consequently vanished after
that, but that was other countries mail systems - It is heartening to know that the
3rd one was to the US (my birthday present) which arrived in record time and even
on a Sunday

hth

Morkai

"Nick Lancaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone here had experience with shipping their stuff to the USA with
the
    > Royal Mail Parcel Force service?
    >
    > I don't have a great deal to send and the international removal firms are quoting
    > me £1100 + insurance. Parcel Force will do the lot in boxes for about £400 - some
    > difference.
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 30th 2002, 5:20 am
Denis Barlow

I've no experience with Parcel Force. I used a company called PSS
http://www.pss.uk.com/

I only had about 100 Kg of personal stuff and they sent it using their Excess Baggage
rate by air freight. I had the stuff in less than 2 weeks after I arrived, all I had
to do was pick it up from Phoenix Airport (I paid an extra $50 to get a customs
broker to get the stuff through customs for
me) Even including the customs broker it was still less than £400

--
Denis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Honk if you love peace and quiet.

"Nick Lancaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here had experience with shipping their stuff to the USA with
the
    > Royal Mail Parcel Force service?
    >
    > I don't have a great deal to send and the international removal firms are quoting
    > me £1100 + insurance. Parcel Force will do the lot in boxes for about £400 - some
    > difference.
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 30th 2002, 8:20 am
Cw

I had some stuff sent from cheltenham by parcel force...valued about $200. It never
arrived..still waiting..six months later...if you send stuff from the UK make sure
you register it...i know that only guarantees inside the UK but it gives a starting
point if you need to trace the item..the US mail will/cannot trace an item sent from
the UK ..u have to do it from the UK side.

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:08:32 -0700, "Denis Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've no experience with Parcel Force. I used a company called PSS
    >http://www.pss.uk.com/
    >
    >I only had about 100 Kg of personal stuff and they sent it using their Excess
    >Baggage rate by air freight. I had the stuff in less than 2 weeks after I arrived,
    >all I had to do was pick it up from Phoenix Airport (I paid an extra $50 to get a
    >customs broker to get the stuff through customs for
    >me) Even including the customs broker it was still less than £400

Old Jun 30th 2002, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Nick,
I did a lot of research and found Parcelforce to be quite expensive, and as of last week that don't collect from peoples
houses.
I've got 7 boxes between 10-15 kgs each and have been
quoted £260 to ship them to Norfolk Port (Virginia) and a further
£270 to have them delivered about 2 hours away.
Parcelforce quoted me around £700 !!
So I'm going to hang on and ship them just before I go (it's
mostly winter clothes, books, CD's etc - nothing urgent) and then
go down with my brother-in-law and pick them up.
I had alook in Yellow Pages, sent out a few faxes and these were
the cheapest.
Not that cheap is always good, but was impressed when I spoke to them.
Good luck
Roger
Old Jun 30th 2002, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

mrpilock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nick,
we have looked into this as were going to texas sometime in aug if all goes well and we have had various quotes from £300-£700 to ship stuff over and we told all that were asked that we would be shipping 10 tea chest sized boxes weight does not matter just volume asn they are shipped in containers and all said they collect and deliver door to door only other thing to add to shipping price is insurance they do all customs paperwork.

If you want more info just let me know ill be glad to help.

kind regards

keith & debs
Old Jun 30th 2002, 4:20 pm
Morkai Kurst

You didn't mention who 'them' were

Interested myself cause I have to do the same thing soon, although I have a lot of
heavier stuph, namely 7 or 8 boxes of books that I can't bear to leave behind.

Thanks

Morkai

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Nick, I did a lot of research and found Parcelforce to be quite expensive, and as
    > of last week that don't collect from peoples houses. I've got 7 boxes between 10-15
    > kgs each and have been quoted £260 to ship them to Norfolk Port (Virginia) and a
    > further £270 to have them delivered about 2 hours away. Parcelforce quoted me
    > around £700 !! So I'm going to hang on and ship them just before I go (it's mostly
    > winter clothes, books, CD's etc - nothing urgent) and then go down with my
    > brother-in-law and pick them up. I had alook in Yellow Pages, sent out a few faxes
    > and these were the cheapest. Not that cheap is always good, but was impressed when
    > I spoke to them. Good luck Roger
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
    >
    > There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 30th 2002, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Morkai,
I live in Coventry and they're a local agent, however thay may collect from further afield.
BK International Freight Ltd
02476 464983 Fax: 02476 694184.

I spoke to a guy called Peter Cullen

The insurance was 4.5% of declared value (on top) with a
minimum of £45.
They estimate 22 days from Port to Port

I hope this had been of help

Roger
Old Jul 1st 2002, 4:20 am
Eoin

Default I-751 steps (after divorce)

Will be applying for removal of conditions in the next three months and I was
wondering what actually happens - with it being after a divorce I realise the proof I
will have to furnish (anyone have a light truck I can borrow for that to get it to
the post office?)

What I was wondering is what happens? I send the fee, forms, and proof in - but what
then? Do we get a temporary stamp (when the green card expires) in the passport til
the interview?

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

mrpilock is an unknown quantity at this point

HI ALL,
i have been looking into this and am still doing so and negotiating with companies a discount for customers that come via the forum the best to date is fox who wil do door to door which many companys just dump it at the nearest port and from there its up too you give Debie beech or Sara pagita a call on 01384 442900 and give her the ref (hyatt) she know then you have come via the forum and should generate a discount of some discription beause it depends what you want to send and what time of year she said she can give us all better deals if it is sent in dec-march because that is there slackest period and they can send it by whatever means you wish air ,sea ect thier ins is very comprehensive and you pay 3% of the total value that you want to insure.

I will be making more inquiries and will let you know of any further deals if you are interested ? what area are you in lincs, nots ect.

kind regards

keith