Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:18 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

We didn't use Pickfords, but our 10 x 30kg boxes took 14 weeks door-to-door from Europe (via London) to LA. They arrived last week and I had to pay an extra $95 charge on delivery - I think because they got stuck in Customs for a while, but I was too busy weeping with happiness at the sight of all 10 boxes on a pallet to query this fully. We used a no frills service, and weren't able to track our things at all en route, so were just trying to keep the faith that somewhere, somehow, they were out there making their way to us (and with every week after week 10 that we heard nothing, this optimism eroded). My sympathies with everyone who's had trouble with their shipments - I've been in that position before, and it's even more madly enraging when you've paid for premium service.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:54 am
Just Joined

crispin is an unknown quantity at this point

Sigh, so I'm shipping stuff (with Pickfords) from UK to San Francisco, stuff picked up at the end of September, and wasn't originally due to leave the UK (Tilbury) until 1st December (9 weeks), in the end (due to the snow) it didn't leave until last weekend.

With it not due to arrive until 12th January that is a ridiculou - 15 weeks (14 if the snow hadn't intervened). I (like everyone else) was quoted "approximately 8-12 weeks". I doubt I will see anything until end of January.

Needless to say I'm a little less than happy with the service - emails have been essentially ignored (1 line replies).

Do not use Pickfords - I will be complaining when everything is finally here.

Crispin
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Agreed - Don't use Pickfords. I thought I was paying for a premium service and the truth is that I could have gone with a no-name company and probably would have received the same level of service or possibly better.

I have sent a letter claiming a refund/compensation for the shipping charges I paid based on the length of time it took to ship which was over the time they advised and the terrible customer service plus I'm asking for them to cover the repairs for the damage caused due to inadequate packing.

Bottom line Pickfords agreed to provide a service and failed - I think they should offer some kind of partial refund and be accountable for the damage caused.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Nickw_2308 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Pickfords and I really cannot fault them, the customer service was great from all sides and the packing/shipping process really efficient. We did ship a complete container which does make a difference, they can make the booking for the full box in advance and ensure it moves in good time. If you only ship a small quantity it actually goes to a consolidation company who will hold it until they have a full container, this can easily add 2-3 weeks if not more.

I doubt you will have any luck claiming for the delays as their T&C's will always cover for that. You might feel like it is a lot of money when you have spent GBP2000 but it really isn't in shipping terms, not for a none business shipper. If you have the insurance you should be covered, I know it uisn't the ideal outcome but that's what it's there for.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I have been told by the Allied reps this side that my items - particulary those damaged should have been packaged much better than they were - if they had been then they would have not suffered the damage that they have sustained.

The delivery time was for groupage taking into account going to the consolidation warehouse.

I'm sure if any of your items had been damaged you would feel differently. Likewise if you had received the poor level of customer service that I and others have had then you would complain as well.