Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Presents Back to the UK from USA

Shipping Presents Back to the UK from USA

Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

AloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping Presents Back to the UK from USA

Hi All,

Well that time of year again, And last Christmas it cost me nearly 300$ to ship 3 medium size boxes (no more than 15lbs each) back to the UK using FedEx.

Most of my family back in the UK like American Sports/Toys/Games etc and know things are pretty much cheaper here but of course dont know how much it costs to send it back!. (even though i tell them!)

Anyway i would like to send stuff back this year but wondered if anyone knew of a cheaper method?. I looked at the US postal service but that also seems very expensive when you choose registered mail (which of course i need).

Anyone one have any suggestions, What are other people doing about sending presents back to family at home?

Cheers,
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:53 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Presents Back to the UK from USA

Originally Posted by AloneinOregon
Hi All,

Well that time of year again, And last Christmas it cost me nearly 300$ to ship 3 medium size boxes (no more than 15lbs each) back to the UK using FedEx.

Most of my family back in the UK like American Sports/Toys/Games etc and know things are pretty much cheaper here but of course dont know how much it costs to send it back!. (even though i tell them!)

Anyway i would like to send stuff back this year but wondered if anyone knew of a cheaper method?. I looked at the US postal service but that also seems very expensive when you choose registered mail (which of course i need).

Anyone one have any suggestions, What are other people doing about sending presents back to family at home?

Cheers,
trust me when I say we've all tried to work this one out and USPS is the cheapest (without registered mail) I think they call it first class international now..

unfortunately its not cheap no matter which way you look at it...
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy them on line in the UK.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:26 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Cheers,
best to buy online from the likes of M&S, Harrods, Fortnum and Masons etc. I've used all three over the last few yrs and they are great and deliver on time....no worries.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

to late now, but the slow boat shipping via postal service is the cheapest option....perhaps try UPS or DHL?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
to late now, but the slow boat shipping via postal service is the cheapest option....perhaps try UPS or DHL?
think the slow boat option is no more.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
think the slow boat option is no more.
Weird, can send to the US via ship still, just called economy shipping I think....I had the option to ship to the UK last time I sent something but then I guess that was a while back now.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Weird, can send to the US via ship still, just called economy shipping I think....I had the option to ship to the UK last time I sent something but then I guess that was a while back now.
ok, it may still be an option but i thought i read on BE that it had been stopped but then what does anyone on BE know
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:54 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ok, it may still be an option but i thought i read on BE that it had been stopped but then what does anyone on BE know
sorry nope...its not an option anymore...the cheapest way is called first class international (was airmail) takes 7-10 days.

oh and this is only for packages that are under 4 lbs in weight, anything above that has to go by international priority mail, which is 3 times more expensive...
Old Nov 29th 2007, 3:22 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
sorry nope...its not an option anymore...the cheapest way is called first class international (was airmail) takes 7-10 days.

oh and this is only for packages that are under 4 lbs in weight, anything above that has to go by international priority mail, which is 3 times more expensive...
Yesterday I mailed my 6 pound package to UK, the woman in the post office wrapped it for me and gave me free boxes (said they had been in the back for awhile) she cut and taped them to make my oversize package fit. She admitted she didnt always offer to wrap packages but saw it as a challenge. It went priority mail and cost 42 dollars,

There is no longer a boat. this is second time in a week i have had brilliant service from the post office.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:05 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Cheers,
Now that seamail overseas has been abolished it's pretty much airmail or using couriers like FedEx, UPS and similar.

However, USPS does offer fixed price Priority Airmail boxes which you can pick up at post offices and stuff. One such box costs $37.00 which has a weight limit of 20lbs. I packed a bunch of stuff in this box and mailed it on November 19th to the UK. As of November 28th, the box hasn't arrived so I'm not that impressed with the Priority service.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

There is no longer a boat. this is second time in a week i have had brilliant service from the post office.
It's weird how service differs....up in maine where we use to live the bloke at the posty office was top notch nice fella and helped out with loads of stuff....around here, there's one friendly old bird, the rest are a miserable dour bunch of sods that aren't in the least bit helpful
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I usually use USPS for my Christmas packages, however they can be slow .. very slow. Not sure if thats this end or the UK though.
This year gifts are being hand delivered. My son is getting married on the 7th so I'm flying to Ireland for the weekend and will do a present swap then.

Jan
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Someone kindly sent me this link http://www.smartgiftsolutions.co.uk/shopentrance.htm which might be of some help to someone on here??
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I usually use USPS for my Christmas packages, however they can be slow .. very slow. Not sure if thats this end or the UK though.
This year gifts are being hand delivered. My son is getting married on the 7th so I'm flying to Ireland for the weekend and will do a present swap then.

Jan
Have a safe trip. Will you be spending Christmas in the UK too?