Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Personal Items from UK to US

Shipping Personal Items from UK to US

Old Nov 2nd 2022, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

sahra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Personal Items from UK to US

I need to get 3 boxes from a friend’s in West London to central MA. What’s the most sensible and cost-effective way to do this and with whom? The contents are photo albums, loose photographs, personal papers, “memory boxes”, and similar. The boxes are double-walled, 24 in x 18 x 18 (or 610 x 457 x 457) in size and in weight 2 boxes are 21kg and 1 box is 23kg. We were going to use sendmybag.com, but then discovered they don’t allow pictures, personal papers, and other “irreplaceable items” (like cards from my late mother). My belongings need to leave my friend’s home asap, so advice much appreciated, please. Thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2022, 3:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Personal Items from UK to US

I'd just use UPS or FedEx. It isn't going to be cheap (nor totally unreasonable either), but any method of shipping "three boxes" is going to be relatively expensive compared to a shipping a small packet or much larger shipments.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 5th 2022 at 3:47 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2022, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

sahra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Personal Items from UK to US

I ended up going with getmyparcel.com, which was recommended by two expats on a Facebook group. GetMyParcel and SendMyBag both contract through shipping companies like DHL and UPS. GetMyParcel uses DHL. It is much cheaper than booking directly through a shipper.