Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping (next stages)

Shipping (next stages)

Old May 11th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping (next stages)

Otto, I also think that the length of time was longer because ours was a shared container, apparently this has an effect on the timing
Old May 16th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I had an update from Pickfords today where our stuff is en-route. It was picked up on April 3rd, they say it's due to be loaded next week, and expected to arrive at the US port on June 14th. I make that about 11 weeks, assuming a few days for customs clearance, which is between their original estimate of 9 to 13 weeks. This is west coast US though.

I think Pickfords said that the maximum customs fees were significantly more than a few hundred. But with a shared container the costs would be proportionally shared with the other customers.

Shared containers take longer as they have to find customers with the same destination! In Pickfords' case, this meant my stuff went by lorry to somewhere in the Midlands to await shipping, but if I had a private container then they would have loaded the container at my house and driven it straight to Southampton docks - but only 1-2 weeks quicker than a shared container strangely.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

princemuggin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the quietness. My wife came over for my visa interview and is here until Thursday. Glad to post that I passed and I am awaiting my visa in my passport!!!

Thanks for the replies. The 1267 didn't include insurance, that was another three per cent. I sent off a big list of questions which got duly answered. Crown tonight dropped their quote to 1370, but if I can have them come this Thursday to remove (which I can), they can do it for 1270. I am still awaiting GB liners to get back to me. However they quoted 320 cbft!!! I guess that is the measurement when you just use your eyes I suppose...

What I like about Crown is the same company both sides. Tell me it is weird, but somehow that makes my mind easier.

I wish I could clear my container at Norfolk. That's where my in laws are based, but Philly it will have to be.

Any thoughts??