Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping household goods to the US

Shipping household goods to the US

Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Shipping household goods to the US

Hi there

Does anyone know the easiest way of shipping Household goods to the States? I have a lot of stuff to take, and was curious to know what shipping companies were good to use etc.

If anyone knows it would be much appreciated.

I am a UK citizen.

TIA

Gisela

Last edited by whistlestop01; Jan 11th 2004 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:07 pm
Gaylord

Default Re: Shipping household goods to the US

> Does anyone know the easiest way of shipping Household goods to the
    > States? I have a lot of stuff to take and was curious to know what
    > shipping companies were good to use etc.
    > If anyone knows it would be much appreciated.

Sorry to tag onto this post, but I have to high spec pcs which I would like
to ship as well can anyone recommend someone to move those, I was thinking
of selling and rebuying but the systems are configured just right and It
would take ages to redo them as I want.

Thanks

Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:16 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by whistlestop01
I have a lot of stuff to take
Well that is the 1st thing you need to address. I know it's hard, but get rid of stuff. If you have paper stuff to bring, scan it and bring a CD-ROM. Other stuff, toss, sell, etc. It is quite expensive to ship stuff over, so your first thing has got to be to reduce it to as little as possible.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
Well that is the 1st thing you need to address. I know it's hard, but get rid of stuff. If you have paper stuff to bring, scan it and bring a CD-ROM. Other stuff, toss, sell, etc. It is quite expensive to ship stuff over, so your first thing has got to be to reduce it to as little as possible.
i cant as they are mainly gifts for our new house!!! lol so we do need a shipping company!

thanks
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

yorkshiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We shipped all our household contents from Yorkshire to Seattle in August 2003. It was an expensive business!!!
I went through the yellow pages and got several quotes first but it still cost £4500 for a 20' container. The cheapest quote was £2700 but that was to fill the container ourselves (they are about 4' off the ground and we had, amongst other things, a piano) also, they would not insure anything for breakages if packed by us and we decided to use people who knew how to pack properly. A few firms said we needed a 40' container but when our 20' one arrived here it was by no means full. The most expensive quote was £6800!! There is an option to share conatiners but if there is a problem at customs with part of the load, your goods will be delayed as well. Our conatiner took 5 weeks to arrive.
As for packing, most firms will not insure goods which have been not been packed by them however, if you have anything which cannot be replaced it may be worth packing things yourself. The reason I say this is that the people who do the packing use tissue paper or equivalent but if you pack yourself you can invest in top quality packing materials which should prevent the items getting damaged in the first place (but obvioulsy no come back if anything is broken). You can also insure them separately. A word of caution- I packed all our things myself and packed the most fragile items first in numbered boxes. When our container was unloaded, these boxes had been packed first and were underneath everthing else and the most squashed! Luckily only 2 glasses were broken.
Finally, whether you pack things yourself or not, keep a detailed inventory of ALL your things and make sure your inventory is the same as the shippers and ask for the customs forms before everything is packed to make sure you don't pack anything which may cause a problem.
Good luck!!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by yorkshiregirl
We shipped all our household contents from Yorkshire to Seattle in August 2003. It was an expensive business!!!
I went through the yellow pages and got several quotes first but it still cost £4500 for a 20' container. The cheapest quote was £2700 but that was to fill the container ourselves (they are about 4' off the ground and we had, amongst other things, a piano) also, they would not insure anything for breakages if packed by us and we decided to use people who knew how to pack properly. A few firms said we needed a 40' container but when our 20' one arrived here it was by no means full. The most expensive quote was £6800!! There is an option to share conatiners but if there is a problem at customs with part of the load, your goods will be delayed as well. Our conatiner took 5 weeks to arrive.
As for packing, most firms will not insure goods which have been not been packed by them however, if you have anything which cannot be replaced it may be worth packing things yourself. The reason I say this is that the people who do the packing use tissue paper or equivalent but if you pack yourself you can invest in top quality packing materials which should prevent the items getting damaged in the first place (but obvioulsy no come back if anything is broken). You can also insure them separately. A word of caution- I packed all our things myself and packed the most fragile items first in numbered boxes. When our container was unloaded, these boxes had been packed first and were underneath everthing else and the most squashed! Luckily only 2 glasses were broken.
Finally, whether you pack things yourself or not, keep a detailed inventory of ALL your things and make sure your inventory is the same as the shippers and ask for the customs forms before everything is packed to make sure you don't pack anything which may cause a problem.
Good luck!!
Thank you for such a detailed explanation. Wow what a deal in shipping goods but it has to be done!

Looks like I need to start getting things sorted asap as I leave on the 1 March.

Gisela
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:47 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Looks like I need to start getting things sorted asap as I leave on the 1 March.
You're not leaving till March 1?
Wanna trade interview dates?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:47 pm
won't be long now!

SidAngelika is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Does anyone know the easiest way of shipping Household goods to the States? I have a lot of stuff to take, and was curious to know what shipping companies were good to use etc.

If anyone knows it would be much appreciated.

I am a UK citizen.

TIA

Gisela
Whatever you do in shipping... Dont use the slow boat to China..
We shipped some of my wifes German porcelain over, and almost half of it was damaged from someones carelessness.

The next time when I went over, I hand carried everything over when I flew back. Some porcelain we had bought when I was there.. I wont trust anyone to handle anything of value that can be easily broken.. Even if you put "Fragile.. handle with care" I wonder if they can read?
Sorry for venting here, but we didnt have any good luck in shipping over seas! Good luck!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by SidAngelika
Whatever you do in shipping... Dont use the slow boat to China..
We shipped some of my wifes German porcelain over, and almost half of it was damaged from someones carelessness.

The next time when I went over, I hand carried everything over when I flew back. Some porcelain we had bought when I was there.. I wont trust anyone to handle anything of value that can be easily broken.. Even if you put "Fragile.. handle with care" I wonder if they can read?
Sorry for venting here, but we didnt have any good luck in shipping over seas! Good luck!
Fortunately most of the stuff isnt breakable. There are 6 glasses mind but most of it will be ok. PHEW!!!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're not leaving till March 1?
Wanna trade interview dates?
My case was sent mid December and I mailed my forms on the 22 December so I am sure your interview date will be up soon from what i can see on your timeline. Tho i didnt receive my packet 3 forms till 2 weeks after I sent my downloaded ones off.

I wish I could go earlier than that but alas i cant. My fiance has found an apartment for us to live in and I cant wait to see it!!! YIPEEEEE
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

yorkshiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we must have been really lucky as we did have a lot of breakable (some of which is antique) stuff.
Even if you don't have fragile things you should make sure that any shipping company you use will "export wrap" your things.
If you decide to get quotes, make sure someone visits you to assess the amount of things you have rather than you give a guestimate over the phone.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:57 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I used GB liners from London to Spain. I can't rate them highly enough. I'll be using them from Spain to Boston again and got a very reasonable quote.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sibsie
I used GB liners from London to Spain. I can't rate them highly enough. I'll be using them from Spain to Boston again and got a very reasonable quote.
Thanks! That will be one of the companies I shall call?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:15 pm
Together at last!

My case was sent mid December and I mailed my forms on the 22 December so I am sure your interview date will be up soon from what i can see on your timeline.
Hopefully, but my hubby could come before March 1, so, ya know, we should trade dates.

Anxious?! Me?!?!?! Never!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hopefully, but my hubby could come before March 1, so, ya know, we should trade dates.

Anxious?! Me?!?!?! Never!
No can do I'm afraid!!! There's no way I'm going to delay my interview date as I'm nervous now let alone having to wait even longer. Of course 1 March all depends on if i get approved!! Hope I do!

Good Luck to you anyway

Gisela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.