Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Costs?

Shipping Costs?

Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Costs?

Moving back in October from USA. We didnt plan to take any furniture with us and thought we would just have a few boxes of bits and pieces. We originally decided to go with seven seas worldwide shipping, ordered the boxes from them about a month ago. We used their recommendation of getting more than we would need, and got 20 boxes which is about $100 per box to ship.
So far, we have filled 11 of them and we havent even packed any clothes yet. My husband keeps finding all kinds of things that he just cant live without and i cant say no since hes agreeing to move with me!So it looks like we probably will have all 20 of them filled by the time we are done.

So, we are looking at about $2000 for shipping, this is via ship so it takes about 9 weeks. can anyone give me an approximate cost if they used a container from USA to UK as this seems an awful lot for not very many boxes and I am wondering if its worth getting a container instead?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:14 am
Just Joined

themindbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Costs?

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
Moving back in October from USA. We didnt plan to take any furniture with us and thought we would just have a few boxes of bits and pieces. We originally decided to go with seven seas worldwide shipping, ordered the boxes from them about a month ago. We used their recommendation of getting more than we would need, and got 20 boxes which is about $100 per box to ship.
So far, we have filled 11 of them and we havent even packed any clothes yet. My husband keeps finding all kinds of things that he just cant live without and i cant say no since hes agreeing to move with me!So it looks like we probably will have all 20 of them filled by the time we are done.

So, we are looking at about $2000 for shipping, this is via ship so it takes about 9 weeks. can anyone give me an approximate cost if they used a container from USA to UK as this seems an awful lot for not very many boxes and I am wondering if its worth getting a container instead?
I looked into shipping my stuff to and found outit would of been 12,000 dollars to ship everything... wow. so i'm shipping the things i can't live without via post in several boxes and selling the rest. Figuring out what is important is hard. A life time of memories, pictures, things my son and i made together when he was young, and gifts that people gave me that have sentimental value. In the end the important things are in my heart. And a life time of memories will be made with my special someone.

I can live without many things and much can be replaced. one of the hard things about selling ones things is how greedy people use the situation to better themselves. They barter your life till it has no value at all.

Hope your move goes well,
themindbomb
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:11 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I moved US to UK last year for $6,000 (20 ft container). I used Rinken's, but I also recommend Wheaton Worldwide. UPakWeShip is cheaper, but you have to pack all your own stuff.

If you don't have enough stuff to fill a 20ft container, you might consider a partial shipment (same companies).

Have you searched for Seven Seas in past posts? I'm pretty sure there was a warning about them on here (search the USA and MBTUK forums).
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I moved US to UK last year for $6,000 (20 ft container). I used Rinken's, but I also recommend Wheaton Worldwide. UPakWeShip is cheaper, but you have to pack all your own stuff.

If you don't have enough stuff to fill a 20ft container, you might consider a partial shipment (same companies).

Have you searched for Seven Seas in past posts? I'm pretty sure there was a warning about them on here (search the USA and MBTUK forums).
I have checked around and cant see anything bad about sevenseas...this was where i was told about them.
However yesterday i sent off for a quote for taking my car with me, and its only $900 to have it shipped, AND they said we can fill it with stuff which will cover a lot of our boxes so I am thinking of doing that instead.
It just doesnt seem right though thats it $1000 to ship 10 boxes and $900 for a car?? Anyone shipped a car?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have checked around and cant see anything bad about sevenseas...this was where i was told about them.
However yesterday i sent off for a quote for taking my car with me, and its only $900 to have it shipped, AND they said we can fill it with stuff which will cover a lot of our boxes so I am thinking of doing that instead.
It just doesnt seem right though thats it $1000 to ship 10 boxes and $900 for a car?? Anyone shipped a car?
Maybe this is what I was thinking of: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=seven+seas
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe this is what I was thinking of: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=seven+seas
Ah, didnt see that one thanks!
Well, we may not be using them anyway, I am getting quotes for taking the car now and pretty much everything we are taking can fit inside it.