Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping container ramp

Shipping container ramp

Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Eton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud of
Default Shipping container ramp

Hi Everyone
We are moving back to the Uk from the USA.
This may seem like a simple question but I don't want to be caught out on the day.
I have a shipping container booked but the ramp doesn't come with it, any ideas on where to get a ramp to get up to the container.
Obviously one that won't slide off when I'm climbing it and one that won't overlap at the top too much.
Is there one specially designed for this purpose I can get?
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping container ramp

Originally Posted by Eton_Rifle
Hi Everyone
We are moving back to the Uk from the USA.
This may seem like a simple question but I don't want to be caught out on the day.
I have a shipping container booked but the ramp doesn't come with it, any ideas on where to get a ramp to get up to the container.
Obviously one that won't slide off when I'm climbing it and one that won't overlap at the top too much.
Is there one specially designed for this purpose I can get?
Thanks in advance
You may get one somewhere like Ryder Truck Rental, but I can't believe it doesn't come with one. The container I rented had one built in ...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Eton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
You may get one somewhere like Ryder Truck Rental, but I can't believe it doesn't come with one. The container I rented had one built in ...
Same here, every shipping company I've talked to said the ramps don't come with it and you have to get one.
It may come with one but I'd rather be safe than sorry especially with that charge for extra hours.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Had a better idea!!
Going to get some trailer steps, like the kind you would use to get into a singlewide and load it that way. Should be way safer than a ramp anyway.
I called the guy at Rinkens and he said most people do it by getting some 2X4s,
Yeah I can see me and somebody else climbing the 2X4 with a dresser and the wood snapping in the middle and humpty dumpty never getting put back together again.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

We never had a ramp on our move and we wound up using a lot of 2x4's and 2 x 6s. ......We also used a couple of extension ladders......most things we just slid up the makeshift ramps. The few heavy things we brought, we had friends around to help get them up the ramps or just lift into the container.