Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping alternatives?

Shipping alternatives?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:09 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping alternatives?

I nearly fainted at the weekend. I've boxed up some personal items that I wanted to take back with me to the UK, and there were a total of 4 boxes so far. I brought the heaviest one (27lb's) into the Post Office and they said it'd cost $112 to ship it from the US to the UK. Ironically, this was a box of jigsaw puzzles that I *could* live without, but didn't really want to part with as there are some really nice ones in there. I'll need to pick my faves now, and send those instead. I was told that it'd be a lot cheaper if I can get the boxes under 4lb. Erm......okay, that'll be possible!

Anyway, it's now looking like I'll need to take 2 suitcases with me as it'll be cheaper to take some of the stuff back that way, but there are some things I absolutely can't leave behind and won't be able to carry, large pictures that have sentimental value, etc, and I was wondering if there was a cheaper option apart from the Post Office (UPS/Fedex total extortion, and excess baggage charge just as much as PO). I don't have enough to put in a container, so someone here might have done something else I haven't thought of? Probably no other way, but thought I'd ask.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping alternatives?

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I nearly fainted at the weekend. I've boxed up some personal items that I wanted to take back with me to the UK, and there were a total of 4 boxes so far. I brought the heaviest one (27lb's) into the Post Office and they said it'd cost $112 to ship it from the US to the UK. Ironically, this was a box of jigsaw puzzles that I *could* live without, but didn't really want to part with as there are some really nice ones in there. I'll need to pick my faves now, and send those instead. I was told that it'd be a lot cheaper if I can get the boxes under 4lb. Erm......okay, that'll be possible!

Anyway, it's now looking like I'll need to take 2 suitcases with me as it'll be cheaper to take some of the stuff back that way, but there are some things I absolutely can't leave behind and won't be able to carry, large pictures that have sentimental value, etc, and I was wondering if there was a cheaper option apart from the Post Office (UPS/Fedex total extortion, and excess baggage charge just as much as PO). I don't have enough to put in a container, so someone here might have done something else I haven't thought of? Probably no other way, but thought I'd ask.
You can arrange to have them shipped as part of a container...that's what we did with the bits and pieces after we'd sold our house. It amounted to approx 6 large boxes...have no idea of the cost though sorry. Call an international remover and ask for a quote.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

mike205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping alternatives?

Hi There,

I just shipped back 4 boxes each weighing around 40lbs from Boston to the UK. using golden gloves express. They are a freight broker.

The cost was a little over $500. I was a nervous at first as I hadn't heard of them before. They arrange a pick up by DHL at my house transferred them to their warehouse and UPS took them over.

Just so you know, I went to UPS myself with one 40lb box and they told me it would cost $400 just for one box.

Please email me if you would like the contact information.

mike