Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shiping Costs?

Shiping Costs?

Old Aug 29th 2004, 7:47 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shiping Costs?

Anyone have a (rough) idea on the cost of shiping a container full of our furniture etc. from Atlanta to the UK?
Or is it better to store here and buy new in England.
Thanks
Rob
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shiping Costs?

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Anyone have a (rough) idea on the cost of shiping a container full of our furniture etc. from Atlanta to the UK?
Thanks
Rob
Rough idea: $10,000 door-to-door. Companies vary a lot and you should get several quotes. ABCWheaton did a great job for me (US to UK).

I know this topic was covered quite thoroughly a few months ago, but couldn't find it. Included recommendations of companies, etc. I think the thread was originally started by Honeymummy when she found out she would have to come back to the UK, so you might search fior her posts from maybe 4-6 months ago.... (you can do this by first finding a post by Honeymummy, click on View Public Profile, then click on Search for all posts by this user).
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:01 am
Deb+Chris

Oooh Triumphrob.. you beat me to it.

Does anybody know roughly the cost of shipping a 20ft container from NZ to the UK.?

(god, it feels like I've done this one before :scared: )

Debs

Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

linda 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
Oooh Triumphrob.. you beat me to it.

Does anybody know roughly the cost of shipping a 20ft container from NZ to the UK.?

(god, it feels like I've done this one before :scared: )

Debs
Our 20ft is costing $9000 inc. insurance from Transworld. They are coming tomorrow, YIPEE
Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:13 am
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by linda 1
Our 20ft is costing $9000 inc. insurance from Transworld. They are coming tomorrow, YIPEE
Christ.. when they say times everything by three.. they really meant it hey? and some. Could you get no cheaper than that?

Thanks anyway.. looks like we'll be poorer than we thought!

Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Thanks
Rob
I had quotes ranging from $4600 to $9000 for a 40 ft container Los angeles to UK..... The best quote I got was the $4600 from home USA to port UK which included packing, paperwork and insurance.....

The best way is to find shipping companies and get quotes from at least three, then play one off against the other till you get the best price.... The $4600 one actually started out as $6500 so with a little manipulation I did well......
I found the shipping line I found on the internet gave much higher quotes than the ones I found in the yellow pages and called personally.... Just make sure they are licensed and bonded, also wise to do a search of the company online to check them out......

If you pack it yourself you will save a lot, but the insurance may not cover a lot of things that way......

The cost of getting it from UK port to UK house was £500 and that was a good price.......

We were very lucky and got our moving fees at cost through Brother in Law... total move home USA to port UK was $2100 the the £500 port to house...... total aprox $3100....

Oh and just so you know.... we packed everything ourselves, I did the inventory lists and custom clearance forms which are actually easy but very time consuming. We had no insurance but as I went completely over the top with the packing materiels and the 3000lb break strain rope to tie it all in the container, we lost nothing, not even a chipped plate......
Just glad the ship didn't sink or anyone steal the container..... LOL

Brother in law called me the week the container was to arrive.... Told me he had bad news..... THE CONTAINER HAD BEEN ROLLED OVER!!!!! I almost died thinking OMG it's all damaged!!!! He is a bugger sometimes.... It actually meant the container went on the next ship, not the scheduled one as there was no room.......

So best thingis start phoning and play the lower ya price game....

Good luck...
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:11 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Honeymommy, could I ask approx. how much furniture does a 40 ft. hold? and what about a 20ft.? are they less expensive?
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Jagrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Shipping costs sounds high
Click on to www.bargo.org and email the details. I will search the best rates for you. Hope I have not upset anyone for this advertisement - but I can help from Canada and USA to UK etc, as well as a good insurance rates.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 1:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jagrow
Shipping costs sounds high
Click on to www.bargo.org and email the details. I will search the best rates for you. Hope I have not upset anyone for this advertisement - but I can help from Canada and USA to UK etc, as well as a good insurance rates.
- you'd never guess from your Web site. I couldn't find anything on the site that would make me think you were in the business of helping individuals to ship belongings from the US to the UK. Most of the business-speak on the site was unable to decipher:

"our mission is to estabish true partnerships with our customers, enabling them to focus on their core business strengths, thereby improving their competitive position in the marketplace. "

"Our services allow our customers the comfort of single source accountability "

"Established in 1985, to provide an opportunity customers to outsource their logistics requirements"

- huh? If you are shippers, I think you need a new Webmaster.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Honeymommy, could I ask approx. how much furniture does a 40 ft. hold? and what about a 20ft.? are they less expensive?

20ft is less expensive than 40ft yes, as it's half the length. The difference in price was average $1000 so as you see it won't be half the price for a 20 than a 40..... They say you should be able to fit a 2 bed appartment in a 20ft.... But it depends on what type of person you are a minimalist or a hoarder......

The 40ft... We had 3 bed house with den and garage... took all furniture and 145 boxes of stuff.... Had a lot of boxes as I packed everything very carefully and went OTT with the padding... LOL.. Oh not to mention 6 bicycles and the basketball hoop plus garden and garage stuff.... Had to bring my metal chimnea for those cold winter nights... LOL

We had loads of room.... But it wouldn't have fitted in a 20ft container.

Basically the best way to find out if your stuff will fit in a 20ft is to make an inventory of what you are taking.... The shipping company can give you an estimate from there..... Thats what we did....

Hope this helps....

ROFLMAO!!!! I just reread this post... 40 is half of 20!!!!! Hahahahah.. I am a pure math genius.... was in a hurry... sorry..... ROFLMAOPMP!!!

Last edited by honeymommy; Aug 31st 2004 at 3:01 pm. Reason: cracked up laughing when I reread it...
Old Aug 31st 2004, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Jagrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Shiping Costs?

Originally Posted by dunroving
- you'd never guess from your Web site. I couldn't find anything on the site that would make me think you were in the business of helping individuals to ship belongings from the US to the UK. Most of the business-speak on the site was unable to decipher:

"our mission is to estabish true partnerships with our customers, enabling them to focus on their core business strengths, thereby improving their competitive position in the marketplace. "

"Our services allow our customers the comfort of single source accountability "

"Established in 1985, to provide an opportunity customers to outsource their logistics requirements"

- huh? If you are shippers, I think you need a new Webmaster.
We are not shippers, but Transportation Consultants.
Our business is focused on manufactors,distributurs etc, not usually individuals.
But, with our buying power, knowledge of shipping anything from documents to rail cars and from/to North America to anywhere in the world, we have the expertise to move any freight.
Our Web page is not based on household products.
Apoliges again for advertising business on this forum. I was only tring to help.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 4:45 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Jagrow
We are not shippers, but Transportation Consultants.
Our business is focused on manufactors,distributurs etc, not usually individuals.
But, with our buying power, knowledge of shipping anything from documents to rail cars and from/to North America to anywhere in the world, we have the expertise to move any freight.
Our Web page is not based on household products.
Apoliges again for advertising business on this forum. I was only tring to help.
You might try posting in the "Marketplace" section. I'd suggest adding some description in your post of how you would go about shipping belongings to the UK (what services you would offer, etc.) - the Web page is pretty uninformative and intimidating, IMHO.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:28 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

thanx Honeymommy. I suppose I was hoping it would be half price. Found myself walking around the house thinking, well we dont really need that or that..... better stop kidding myself. looks like it will be 40 ft. 4 beds, den, and all the accumulated stuff!!! think I'm going to plan a yard sale. it's hard to decide on what to take and what to sell. I know the tv's have to go and vcr's, but I think dvd players are ok. what about the microwave? my poor head is spinning. no doubt I'll have a million more questions. thanks for the replys.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by callë
thanx Honeymommy. I suppose I was hoping it would be half price. Found myself walking around the house thinking, well we dont really need that or that..... better stop kidding myself. looks like it will be 40 ft. 4 beds, den, and all the accumulated stuff!!! think I'm going to plan a yard sale. it's hard to decide on what to take and what to sell. I know the tv's have to go and vcr's, but I think dvd players are ok. what about the microwave? my poor head is spinning. no doubt I'll have a million more questions. thanks for the replys.
Get rid of all electrical things. The only thing we bought in the end were the computers and lap tops, 2 pda's,4 gameboy advance and games. I did bring a large slate water fountain and a brass/glass reading lamp but knew I would have to rewire both in UK.... I wanted to bring allsorts but on research found it just wasn't worth it as most things won't work in UK..... No microwave(buy new in UK for £50... DVD player.. we got it free signing up for sky TV....
PM me if you like.... Happy to help...
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:42 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Get rid of all electrical things. The only thing we bought in the end were the computers and lap tops, 2 pda's,4 gameboy advance and games. I did bring a large slate water fountain and a brass/glass reading lamp but knew I would have to rewire both in UK.... I wanted to bring allsorts but on research found it just wasn't worth it as most things won't work in UK..... No microwave(buy new in UK for £50... DVD player.. we got it free signing up for sky TV....
PM me if you like.... Happy to help...

Thanks... I did PM you.