Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

Wikiposts

SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

Tell her to buy her own car and insurance, if she don't like it, get her the cheapest piece of shit out there, that she can pay off doing some odd job or stuff around the house.

If you pay for the car and the upkeep without any personal investment, she ain't going to care if she dings it, but she will if she's helped pay for it and had to worry about the insurance...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:26 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Tell her to buy her own car and insurance, if she don't like it, get her the cheapest piece of shit out there, that she can pay off doing some odd job or stuff around the house.

If you pay for the car and the upkeep without any personal investment, she ain't going to care if she dings it, but she will if she's helped pay for it and had to worry about the insurance...
Been thinking about situations like this lately?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Didn't work for my sons. I refused to buy them cars- they both worked full time all Summer breaks and saved every penny to buy their own. Many dings dents and rolling in ditches, even in one case a door ripped off (apparently it blew off) later, No cars, no insurance , couple of tickets. 16 year old boys don't care much for things they've had to scrimp, save and maintain either. They got in so much trouble with cars, my daughter didn't even want to drive till she was 18. Thank goodness, they never hit or hurt anybody else. So many teenagers are getting sent down for years for vehicular manslaughter etc nowadays.

Try and keep them from behind the wheel till they've matured a little- 15 is way too young to be in charge of a potential killing machine, no matter how mature you think they are.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
facinated wasnt a word i would use! however, i have driven with her for the past few months and she is ok, and I do think get her out and about and she will get better.....

She cant have music on, no cell phones and no passengers apart from her sister..which probably isnt good however its working out so far.
My Dear, You have been out with her and she still killed two traffic cones and is colour blind, so ran a red traffic light.Seems shes got women ways down to a fine art already.Have you taught how to put makeup whilst driving yet or that a bit too advanced to date.Thank goodness theres a few states between us.Get her a banger,and get her to start a savings plan every week to pay for any hiccups !
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

britintexas is a jewel in the roughbritintexas is a jewel in the roughbritintexas is a jewel in the roughbritintexas is a jewel in the roughbritintexas is a jewel in the rough

Unbelievable isn't it - that a 16 year old (and younger in some states) is allowed behind the wheel of a car and given a licence Getting off the subject it still amazes me that kids can legally drive at 16, get married, go fight a war at 18 but can't have a beer until they are 21:unsure! Makes ya wonder, does it not
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, I think.

My girls were not allowed to get licenses until they were able to buy their own vehicles and properly insure them. Hence, they did not drive until at least age 19. And yes, their first cars were used bangers that were mechanically sound. Saved on insurance because comp and collison were not needed.

They both had to take two public buses each way to get to high school regardless of the weather and they saved their money from their p/t jobs after school to pay for their own luxuries.

It lead to many peaceful sleep filled nights for me and showed them that they were responsible for their own pleasures.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:42 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest is going thru drivers ed right now, she just turned 15 we will be buying her an older car when she turns 16 as there is NO way she will be driving my car, it will however come with restrictions, no cell phone while driving, no friends for the first 6 months and no chauffeuring her sisters around! Oh and she has to buy her own gas!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my daughter passed her test! apparently she messed the paralel parking up, actually ran over two of the four cones. Went thru a very red light, and she PASSED!! I am not saying a word. I know she is pretty much a decent driver, if u account for the fact that she is 16. A bit like a 3 year old on a bobbi car. Practice makes perfect.

Now the problem is what car does she drive. I could go out and buy her something. I was considering a smart car, the little teabags on wheels, but there is a 18 month waiting list. Then the insurance told me to get her a old old banger. But i want her to be safe. And not have to worry about bad tires, and breaks, and doors falling off. At the moment she is driving my monte carlo when i am at work, and this week coz i flew out too early she is driving around in the Ford 250! And by all accounts hasnt crashed yet.

still cant believe they let little snot nosed kids drive cars over here!!
Hi:

What state are you in? A moving violation is an automatic fail in CA. Both my daugthers had to take the damn thing three times.

Actually younger one had to take it four times. On the morning of the third test, she drove around with me for an hour and I put her through the mock test from Hell. She was excellent. We go in, the car comes back early, my daughter is crying, Examiner comes up to me and asks, "You are her father?" "What made you think she was ready? You should be ashamed of yourself to even let her behind the wheel! and on and on."

Through the tears, my daughter says "I want to see her boss!" Dear Old Dad says "OK." Boss comes out in about five minutes "What is the problem." The only thing I say is that I was not in the car, but I got abused by the examiner. Boss asks my baby what is the matter and she articulates as much as crying 16-year old can. Boss says "Go with your father to have a cup of coffee for an hour and come back and ask for me. I will administer the test" To me "I think she is a little to upset now to drive, don't you think. I want to calm down."

Now, officially, you only get three tests on a permit. The first test that day went into the wastebasket and the supervisor personally tested her -- she passed.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

What state are you in? A moving violation is an automatic fail in CA. Both my daugthers had to take the damn thing three times.

Actually younger one had to take it four times. On the morning of the third test, she drove around with me for an hour and I put her through the mock test from Hell. She was excellent. We go in, the car comes back early, my daughter is crying, Examiner comes up to me and asks, "You are her father?" "What made you think she was ready? You should be ashamed of yourself to even let her behind the wheel! and on and on."

Through the tears, my daughter says "I want to see her boss!" Dear Old Dad says "OK." Boss comes out in about five minutes "What is the problem." The only thing I say is that I was not in the car, but I got abused by the examiner. Boss asks my baby what is the matter and she articulates as much as crying 16-year old can. Boss says "Go with your father to have a cup of coffee for an hour and come back and ask for me. I will administer the test" To me "I think she is a little to upset now to drive, don't you think. I want to calm down."

Now, officially, you only get three tests on a permit. The first test that day went into the wastebasket and the supervisor personally tested her -- she passed.
Brave little 16-year-old to demand to see the boss - must be a lawyer's daughter

Seriously, good for her.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym
Brave little 16-year-old to demand to see the boss - must be a lawyer's daughter

Seriously, good for her.
Hi:

Brave, I don't know. But she has the genetic stubborness trait from both sides of her family. Sometimes it gets in the way -- here it was needed. I try to let her figure out on her own when it is time to kick ass and when it is time to kiss ass. In the overall act of complaining, she was kicking ass. I let her do it because there was nothing to lose. Remarkably, through her tears, she was quite good as kissing ass with the supervisor.

Of course, when my baby got her DL, California had imposed various restrictions on driving by 16 year old. [Either no passengers at all plus a curfew unless a licensed driver older than 18 was in the car as a passenger. Zero tolerance on keeping the license if alcohol was involved].
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Brave, I don't know. But she has the genetic stubborness trait from both sides of her family. Sometimes it gets in the way -- here it was needed. I try to let her figure out on her own when it is time to kick ass and when it is time to kiss ass. In the overall act of complaining, she was kicking ass. I let her do it because there was nothing to lose. Remarkably, through her tears, she was quite good as kissing ass with the supervisor.

Of course, when my baby got her DL, California had imposed various restrictions on driving by 16 year old. [Either no passengers at all plus a curfew unless a licensed driver older than 18 was in the car as a passenger. Zero tolerance on keeping the license if alcohol was involved].
Sounds like a neat kid. I still say good for her.

Personally, I'm in favor of some restrictions on young drivers. Give them some time to ease into driving, seems a logical compromise.

Edit: I wonder what she'd do to you for publicly calling her "my baby"
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Been thinking about situations like this lately?
well a few years to go myself

Though that's what I did...bought my own car when I was at school before going to uni, it was a crap Renault 11, but had a huge boot to take all my crap to uni....wasn't a bad car, till it died, dumped it on the uni to scrap, paid my tenner and they took so long, a bunch of guys wrecked the snot out of it

Sodding thing still had a 3/4 tank of petrol too and 2 newish tyres, about the most valuable thing about it
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym
I wonder what she'd do to you for publicly calling her "my baby"
Hi:

Laugh. I'm not kidding.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi:

Laugh. I'm not kidding.
That's good, we think you're cute too
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:54 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my daughter passed her test! apparently she messed the paralel parking up, actually ran over two of the four cones. Went thru a very red light, and she PASSED!! I am not saying a word.

my god, that's worrying and dangerous ....16 is far too young anyway to be behind the wheel....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.