Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

Well my daughter passed her test! apparently she messed the paralel parking up, actually ran over two of the four cones. Went thru a very red light, and she PASSED!! I am not saying a word. I know she is pretty much a decent driver, if u account for the fact that she is 16. A bit like a 3 year old on a bobbi car. Practice makes perfect.

Now the problem is what car does she drive. I could go out and buy her something. I was considering a smart car, the little teabags on wheels, but there is a 18 month waiting list. Then the insurance told me to get her a old old banger. But i want her to be safe. And not have to worry about bad tires, and breaks, and doors falling off. At the moment she is driving my monte carlo when i am at work, and this week coz i flew out too early she is driving around in the Ford 250! And by all accounts hasnt crashed yet.

still cant believe they let little snot nosed kids drive cars over here!!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHE PASSED HER TEST!! 16 AND ON THE ROAD!

I feel for you.
My 14 year old is on countdown to when he can get a provisional license, I'm not looking forward to that at all.
I still hold on when my 20 year old drives. He scares the life out of me, no wonder I have so much grey hair.
Dh is already looking at cars for the younger son. I'm not ready to do this again.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:10 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Practice makes perfect, eh? I hope she doesn't practice her parallel parking next to my car!

Don't let her have teenage passengers...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Passing after running a red light fascinates me... but ah well.

Insurance recommends a big old banger partly because of safety - if she hits some little car, her big old banger will squish it like bug, and she will likely be safe inside the huge sturdy old cage of steel.

But... it's your kid and your cars. If you don't think she's old enough to drive, you don't HAVE to let her. Of course, you'd then still have to live with her...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
That's one way of putting it
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:22 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

We decided that none of our kids would take their drivers ed before 16 and not take their test until they reached 17. We're now on the 3rd one going through their driving and it seems to be working out ok. None of them are/were happy at first to be learning later than some of their friends, but they soon figured it's this way or no way! Part of the reason is because the driving test are so ridiculously easy.

The two oldest are pretty good drivers and the next one will be 17 in Dec. The youngest who is 15 now would be a nightmare if she took her drivers ed now. She's unable to concentrate on anything, let alone driving a car!!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
That's one way of putting it
facinated wasnt a word i would use! however, i have driven with her for the past few months and she is ok, and I do think get her out and about and she will get better.....

She cant have music on, no cell phones and no passengers apart from her sister..which probably isnt good however its working out so far.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Well my daughter passed her test! apparently she messed the paralel parking up, actually ran over two of the four cones. Went thru a very red light, and she PASSED!! I am not saying a word. I know she is pretty much a decent driver, if u account for the fact that she is 16. A bit like a 3 year old on a bobbi car. Practice makes perfect.

Now the problem is what car does she drive. I could go out and buy her something. I was considering a smart car, the little teabags on wheels, but there is a 18 month waiting list. Then the insurance told me to get her a old old banger. But i want her to be safe. And not have to worry about bad tires, and breaks, and doors falling off. At the moment she is driving my monte carlo when i am at work, and this week coz i flew out too early she is driving around in the Ford 250! And by all accounts hasnt crashed yet.

I feel for you. Our 15 year old son has got his learners permit. Paul took him out the first few times to teach him the gears (its a manual) and then we progressed to making him drive home from school every day (its a 30 min trip). The first couple of times I was a bag of nerves but he has improved in leaps and bounds and no longer stalls at traffic lights. Mind you, I don't know how I will cope, nerve wise, when he is out there driving on his own next year.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I thought that running red lights was practically mandatory in some states ...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Get her a clunker.

Make sure it a safe car or has a lot of tin in front of it. Something with airbags and hopefully automatic seat belts (the ones that basically buckle themselves--force you to wear them). Something that isn't going to break the bank and isn't going to suffer if it has a scratch or six down the side.

You can also think about 'self-insuring' the car. Not self-insuring liability, no (never), nothing like that, but not worrying about the car's value if it gets blown up or destroyed. Treat it as a disposable one. Not sure if that will save money or not but you should consider it when talking to the insurance company. Just the value of the car (definitely not the liabiliity stuff which is usually mandatory)
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:28 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Don't let her have teenage passengers...
And ban any participation in Squirt-Gun Assassin
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:36 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

She messed up parallel parking AND went through a very red light and passed? Let me know when she's out and I can stay off the road.

I wouldn't get a brand new car, but not an old banger either. How about a bumper car?
Kidding. Congrats.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Oct 2nd 2008 at 4:39 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:22 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warning and giving the heads up Dee...

Well my daughter passed her test! apparently she messed the paralel parking up,
Don't fret about it, its overrated, besides, many 'experieced' drivers still can't park...let alone paralel park.
Went thru a very red light, -
meh, they're more like guidelines anyway; its when they're very green is when your likely to have hot pockets...
What they want...
What they get...

find an old Volvo - they're tanks; just make sure its in good condition as repairs suck on them.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the warning.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:21 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

When my eldest stepdaughter passed her test I was dumbfounded, simply driving in a straight line was a task she seldom performed well.....she regarded most stop signs as suggestions rather than instructions and could never turn the windshield wipers on but could always find the radio station she wanted
1 week after passing she reversed the wifes car straight into a neighbours truck ....(brand new too ).....her defense was the truck was black and she didn't see it .....it was 7:45am on a sunny July morning

2 years on she's worse than ever ......my other step kids refused to go anywhere with her and I'd rather crawl over broken glass than get in the bloody car with her....despite warning of cell phone use whilst driving she'll call her mom on the way back from shopping ....the wife regularly swears she can hear horns blaring in the background ...

Anyways ...congrats to your daughter and hope everything works out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.