Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A septic poll

Wikiposts

A septic poll

Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A septic poll

Originally Posted by gardnma
Vic, I am 39. If I'm a boy then you must be............
Your one of my funny Boys on here, I ain't saying anymore
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:06 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Wha? the thread is the poll mate. It is simple really. Just let me know if you have experienced this with your partner. This isn't your US driving theory test - answer a) b) c) or all of the above lol.
Too be honest until I came on Expats I never heard the expression and still haven't outside of Expats?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:08 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britvic
Your one of my funny Boys on here, I ain't saying anymore
Awwwwww.

I'm just going to call you Mum from now on.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:22 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

As a Yank who has spent a fair bit of time abroad, including the UK, Ireland, NZ and Australia, I have tell you that I have never been called a "septic" or "seppo" (Aussie variant), or at least not to my face, but that I would probably come to blows with somebody who did, except perhaps if it was clearly intended to be humorous.

Rhyming slang or not, this particular term is still ultimately an insult. The rhyming aspect, I'm sure, may have been intended in part to be clever, but it is also passive-aggressive and a bit cowardly (they don't have the balls to tell the Yank in a forthright manner that he will understand that they think that he is full of shit). I wouldn't mind it if it was meant in good fun, but in most contexts, it's a pretty obvious slur, and no friend of mine abroad has ever used it.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:33 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Well, in 3 days we will be celebrating 14 years of wedded carnage (or is that cabbage?). Yes, wedded cabbage.

Anyway, a sex ban? Whats that? It all goes away after kids you know.
Do you know what hallway sex is?
Its when you've been married a while and you pass in the hallway and each says "Fu(k you".........

BTW, a great quote: "Its better to have loved and lost than spent your life wanking" Not sure who said that.

Is it possible to get an annulment in the state of Michigan based on information received from a website? My wife is actually crying with laughter. Sex is back on!!! Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:37 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
As a Yank who has spent a fair bit of time abroad, including the UK, Ireland, NZ and Australia, I have tell you that I have never been called a "septic" or "seppo" (Aussie variant), or at least not to my face, but that I would probably come to blows with somebody who did, except perhaps if it was clearly intended to be humorous.

Rhyming slang or not, this particular term is still ultimately an insult. The rhyming aspect, I'm sure, may have been intended in part to be clever, but it is also passive-aggressive and a bit cowardly (they don't have the balls to tell the Yank in a forthright manner that he will understand that they think that he is full of shit). I wouldn't mind it if it was meant in good fun, but in most contexts, it's a pretty obvious slur, and no friend of mine abroad has ever used it.
I agree. If enough people agree perhaps we could change it on BE? Democracy and all that. My wife used to post on a site (when we lived in the UK) called UK-Yankee, like BE only the other way around, and they would never even say Limey, which isn't really very insulting. Perhaps a re-think?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:41 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. If enough people agree perhaps we could change it on BE? Democracy and all that. ?
BE a Democracy .. your kidding ....
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Is it possible to get an annulment in the state of Michigan based on information received from a website? My wife is actually crying with laughter. Sex is back on!!! Cheers
Congratulations and good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I am a busy posting bee today aint I. Guess I just wanna be loved ha ha.
Anyway, was just wondering if any body's septic spouses find the rhyming slang 'septic tank' insulting? My wife is irked by it and I can see her point, especially when remembering that they don't have our sense of humour. She wonders why it cant be fish tank, or Sherman tank, or Barclay's bank (though we all know that means something different to us ha ha).
She isn't all hetup about it but does point out that a septic tank implies something that is chock full of sh*t.
Just wondered if any of the other Sherman tanks had mentioned this to their spouses over dinner or during a Barclay's? Though why you would want to discuss it over dinner I will never know

You really are a silly sod aren't you....where's the sodding poll?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You really are a silly sod aren't you....where's the sodding poll?
Apparently. there isn't one. This is it.
Its a debate on the use of the term "septic"
Old Nov 11th 2006, 12:17 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

And people say septics don't have a sense of humour
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:10 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. If enough people agree perhaps we could change it on BE? Democracy and all that. My wife used to post on a site (when we lived in the UK) called UK-Yankee, like BE only the other way around, and they would never even say Limey, which isn't really very insulting. Perhaps a re-think?
Yes, but have you seen the drivel that gets posted on there? Lively and amusing it ain't. And people say BE is bad...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I've been called a Limey, a Pom, a Teabag (which is bizarrely an American invention), a Redcoat..........

all is fair and love and war.......
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:17 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no problem with septic if you'll are OK with limey. LOL

Last edited by mdyoung; Nov 12th 2006 at 2:36 am.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:02 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
And people say septics don't have a sense of humour
Sorry if I had failed to realize that "septic" is British humor at its zenith, how did I miss that?

I'm going to experiment a bit -- next time that I'm in a pub in the UK, I'll be sure to tell the barman that he is a "vat of shit" as I'm ordering a pint. (Of course, I'll have a big dumb grin on my face as I'm doing it, because it's so obviously funny.) Any bets on what he'll be doing with my drink?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.