Reload this Page >

Sending prescription meds UK>US

Sending prescription meds UK>US

Old May 22nd 2024, 3:57 am
Just Joined

jamieB79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending prescription meds UK>US

Hi folks

Does anyone have any experience shipping medication from the UK to the US?

I take a medication that is FDA approved but more cost effective to source in the UK. I have a UK prescription and a family member can mail it to me. I'm seeing conflicting info; FedEx states you can ship 90 days' supply providing you include the original prescription in the name of the recipient (this is all fine), but then on their list of prohibited items is 'medication'.

Annoyingly, I was just back in the UK and missed my delivery by a day!

Appreciate any insight!
Old May 22nd 2024, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending prescription meds UK>US

We did it once for my FIL who was visiting and forgot one of his medications. I remember it being a hassle and cost a fortune, but for his peace of mind, it was worth it.
Old May 24th 2024, 6:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The "90 days supply" rule is for visitors to the US bringing prescription medications with them, not for US residents to ship medication from overseas.

You could try mailing the medication covertly/ undisclosed, but if US customs find it, the contents would likely be destroyed before you even heard that your mail had been "opened for inspection", and if the contents had not been destroyed it would be because they were needed as evidence in a prosecution, which could turn ugly for the recipient named on the package!

In short, trying to circumvent the rules is almost certainly more trouble, and more risky, than it is worth.
Old May 24th 2024, 8:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The "90 days supply" rule is for visitors to the US bringing prescription medications with them, not for US residents to ship medication from overseas.

You could try mailing the medication covertly/ undisclosed, but if US customs find it, the contents would likely be destroyed before you even heard that your mail had been "opened for inspection", and if the contents had not been destroyed it would be because they were needed as evidence in a prosecution, which could turn ugly for the recipient named on the package!

In short, trying to circumvent the rules is almost certainly more trouble, and more risky, than it is worth.
I see you watch Border Security too.
Old May 24th 2024, 9:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamieB79
Hi folks

Does anyone have any experience shipping medication from the UK to the US?

I take a medication that is FDA approved but more cost effective to source in the UK. I have a UK prescription and a family member can mail it to me. I'm seeing conflicting info; FedEx states you can ship 90 days' supply providing you include the original prescription in the name of the recipient (this is all fine), but then on their list of prohibited items is 'medication'.

Annoyingly, I was just back in the UK and missed my delivery by a day!

Appreciate any insight!
How are you obtaining a UK prescription when you are no longer a UK resident? I presume it is financed by the NHS, but perhaps it is a private script. Pulaski mentioned prosecution if you are caught, that could affect your status in the US.
Old May 25th 2024, 7:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are living in the US, I'm assuming you have healthcare insurance. If so, see if your meds can be Canadian sourced. They are slowly allowing some meds to be shipped to patients with proper prescription from Canada to the US.

Frankly, is it really worth all the trouble and potential legal ramifications to save a few dollars?
Old May 27th 2024, 4:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My advise? Just don't.

Part of moving to the US is the acceptance that your healthcare will cost more.
Old May 27th 2024, 6:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I see you watch Border Security too. ....
Sorry, not I .... I don't know how long it's been running, but maybe 2-3 episodes 12-15 years ago.

In fact I don't watch any TV show regularly, and the last time I watched any sort of regular TV production, was when I, over several years, watched the entire Breaking Bad series, but I probably finished watching that around 2018 give or take a year. I started watching Ozarks after that, but only made it through the first 3-4 episodes.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

bluetone is an unknown quantity at this point

The NHS is a residency-based service, and if you are living abroad and still claiming a prescription from the UK, you are I am afraid causing the issuing doctor to commit fraud, as they receive Govt money based on the people they have on their books - you need to advise your GP that you are away.
Old Jun 11th 2024, 2:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluetone
The NHS is a residency-based service, and if you are living abroad and still claiming a prescription from the UK, you are I am afraid causing the issuing doctor to commit fraud, as they receive Govt money based on the people they have on their books - you need to advise your GP that you are away.
Only if its an NHS prescription - the OP doesn't say whether its NHS or Private.
Old Jun 11th 2024, 2:59 am
Just Joined

bluetone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only if its an NHS prescription - the OP doesn't say whether its NHS or Private.
Fair point! 👍
Old Jun 12th 2024, 1:13 am
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
My advise? Just don't.

Completely agree with this.
Old Jun 12th 2024, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Not just healthcare, some things cost more, some less, some things are different, etc.
Old Jun 12th 2024, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the OP thinks that whilst being resident of the US they can 'pop over' anytime and use full NHS services a la carte
Old Jun 12th 2024, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I bet the OP thinks that whilst being resident of the US they can 'pop over' anytime and use full NHS services a la carte
And given the way the NHS operates, they probably can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.