Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

sending money

sending money

Old Jul 12th 2003, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ancym
Yeah. We came to the same conclusion re transfer of life's net worth (!). (You have quite the turn of phrase, Pulaski) ......
Thanks! ..... It was a compliment wasn't it?

Yes, I do enjoy words and language usage, which is funny because I really despised English at school!
Old Jul 12th 2003, 5:49 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't trust paypal - they have a pretty horrifying reputation for customer service

i have used them myself and have had no problems - but this was with small dollar amounts (less than $100)

check out www.paypalsucks.com
Old Jul 12th 2003, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

bizzie@herdesk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hmm...

thank you...

its always good to hear other views...

Bee
UK to USA
Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

powburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There is a far cheaper way

We use a company called AFEX International Services to transfer money back and forth between the UK and USA.
http://www.afex.com/

Using AFEX is probably about the cheapest way to move money between countries. They don't charge any fees. They make their money by exchanging at 0.01 above the current exchange rate. I.e. www.xe.com currently shows a UK-US rate of 1-1.59181, so the rate they'd use is 1-1.60.

Once the exchange rate has been booked with one of their staff and you've told them the foreign recipient account, it's just a question of transferring the money into their UK (or US depending on which way the money is being moved) account. They then transfer the money to the US and finally into the account you requested.

AFEX confirm the booked rate & where the money is going by fax. I regard this as an advantage over the www.xe.com service which is completed on-line. There have been just far too many security lapses by companies who should know better for me to be happy trusting my life's worth to the security of a web server and back-end database.

They try to give the impression that they only handle money transfers for companies rather than individuals, but that's not the case once you actually speak to them.

Having used them several times to move fairly large sums from UK to USA and from USA to UK, I heartly recommend their services.

Last edited by powburn; Jul 15th 2003 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 2:44 am
jester

Thumbs up

For large amounts ($5000+) go to Mike Arman of Integrity Financial LLC He's a licensed broker in Florida and used to dealing with ex-pat Brits. His charges a a fraction of what any bank will rush you. Under 5k, then XE Trade.com are the vest in the business; you get maybe 1 cent on the $ less than the interbank rate, but there are no commission fees, and if you use Barclays in the UK there is no fee to wire the sterling to them either. I use them once or twice a month and the process takes 2 to 3 days usually.

Old Jul 20th 2003, 5:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default powburn....

thanks for the info - am investigating afex now - always looking for cheaper ways!!!

although, as someone who has worked in IT security for quite a few years now - I can say a lot of stuff you see in the media is hysteria and real security breaches are very few and far between

Old Jul 21st 2003, 9:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sending money

Originally posted by jgombos
It seems I would have to pay my credit cards by using C2it to wire foreign money into my american checking account.. which is like $10 per transaction or something. Rediculous. Am I missing something? My German roommate who lives here in the US runs into these issues, and I think he just tries to avoid moving money back and forth whenever possible.
- not sure if this relates, but I simply pay my U.K. Barclaycard bill by mailing them a regular US check with my bill. I used to mail them a mail order, or banker's check (horrendous exchange rates), then one day a Barclaycard employee said chirpily, "Oh, you can just send us a US bank check!"

I've checked the exchange rate they give me and it always seems to be not far off the "mid-point" b/w sell/buy rates, and there's no extra charge for cashing the check.