Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending kid to UK university

Sending kid to UK university

Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending kid to UK university

Originally Posted by Samual
More than i could say about some of your posts.
OK, now I get it. You really are more interested in infantile argy-bargy than an objective discussion.

Let's start with "At least I didn't have to go ask my Daddy for help" ... and take it from there ...

(If you don't get any response, carry on by yourself).
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I have a Cambridge MA, and it IS a masters degree. I have a Master of Arts diploma, awarded to me either three or four (I forget exactly) years after I graduated with the bachelors degree. Cambridge has always done it that way, and they aint about to change just because a lot of upstart institutions in America etc. find it confusing.
It isn't a masters degree. I would argue this point a little more, but i see no need to. If you really cared you'd google it and see for yourself. But i did just ask my father who also attended Cambridge and he agrees with me.
I guess you win then; you & your father say it isn't a Masters Degree, I say it is. My father died several years ago, so I can't ask his opinion. Also, my father left school at the age of fifteen and didn't know a lot about universities...
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:19 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

From Wikipedia's article on the Master of Arts (Oxbridge and Dublin.)

In the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin, the degree of Master of Arts or Master in Arts (MA) is awarded to Bachelors of Arts of those universities on application after six or seven years' seniority as members of the university (including years as an undergraduate).

There is no examination or study required for the degree beyond those required for the BA. This practice differs from that in most other universities worldwide, for whom the degree reflects further postgraduate study or achievement, and these degrees thus are frequently referred to as the Oxbridge MA and Dublin or Trinity MA to differentiate them.[1] The Oxbridge MA is based on a system of academic rank rather than academic qualifications.

OK, so now we're level pegging; me & wikipedia versus Samual & his dad.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Samual is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, now I get it. You really are more interested in infantile argy-bargy than an objective discussion.

Let's start with "At least I didn't have to go ask my Daddy for help" ... and take it from there ...

(If you don't get any response, carry on by yourself).
Again, misconstruing what i say. I knew i was right, it had nothing to do with asking him for help, just to confirm what i knew in case whoever it was tried to use having a Cambridge MA as evidence, when it isn't.

I guess you win then; you & your father say it isn't a Masters Degree, I say it is. My father died several years ago, so I can't ask his opinion. Also, my father left school at the age of fifteen and didn't know a lot about universities...
Yes, i win.

From Wikipedia's article on the Master of Arts (Oxbridge and Dublin.)

In the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin, the degree of Master of Arts or Master in Arts (MA) is awarded to Bachelors of Arts of those universities on application after six or seven years' seniority as members of the university (including years as an undergraduate).

There is no examination or study required for the degree beyond those required for the BA. This practice differs from that in most other universities worldwide, for whom the degree reflects further postgraduate study or achievement, and these degrees thus are frequently referred to as the Oxbridge MA and Dublin or Trinity MA to differentiate them.[1] The Oxbridge MA is based on a system of academic rank rather than academic qualifications.

OK, so now we're level pegging; me & wikipedia versus Samual & his dad.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, i win.

awww....I'd just put the kettle on again for another cuppa
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
awww....I'd just put the kettle on again for another cuppa
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Again, misconstruing what i say. I knew i was right, it had nothing to do with asking him for help, just to confirm what i knew in case whoever it was tried to use having a Cambridge MA as evidence, when it isn't.
Crikey, you really do think very linearly. And such a very poorly developed sense of humour.

I was using a little literary licence to tie in with the theme of infantile jibes (which by nature often bend the accuracy criterion). You were supposed to play along - because it became clear about 10 posts ago that reason has flown out of the window with this one, and you had resorted to a little tit for tat .... but clearly now you don't want to play that game.

Gawd it's no fun when you have to explain humour and the patsy thinks he is in the debating Hall at Hogwarts!!!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:06 am
Ping-ponger

It's a joke. She was beginning to enjoy the entertainment and then you drew the curtains.

(Don't tell me - you knew that!)
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:21 am
Ping-ponger

I just got a PM suggesting you ask your dad to explain it to you.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, you really do think very linearly. And such a very poorly developed sense of humour.

I was using a little literary licence to tie in with the theme of infantile jibes (which by nature often bend the accuracy criterion). You were supposed to play along - because it became clear about 10 posts ago that reason has flown out of the window with this one, and you had resorted to a little tit for tat .... but clearly now you don't want to play that game.

Gawd it's no fun when you have to explain humour and the patsy thinks he is in the debating Hall at Hogwarts!!!
Ooo..anyone want a custard cream to go with their tea ??
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:23 am
Ping-ponger

Ooo..anyone want a custard cream to go with their tea ??
Milk and one sugar for me.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Milk and one sugar for me.
seems like he's in a huff and gone..ah well...until the next time
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:32 am
Ping-ponger

seems like he's in a huff and gone..ah well...until the next time
He's just a youngster. He'll get over himself when the hormones die down.

(Ooh, I hope his Dad doesn't come on here and tell us off)
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:32 am
Heading for Poppyland

He's just a youngster. He'll get over himself when the hormones die down.

(Ooh, I hope his Dad doesn't come on here and tell us off)
Yeah game's over. Back to teh internets, I'm trying to figure out which is the best PhD to buy .... Now that I've had that Cambridge Master of Arts (sorry .. MA) for nearly 40 years, I've just about milked it dry.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

I do find it amusing that because i mentioned my father (in a very appropriate way, i might add) you're calling my maturity into question. I dont doubt that this is all you have in regards to entertainment on what im sure would have otherwise been a very boring middle aged sort of afternoon, but this rather wry humour is something i take little pleasure from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.